2011 Golf TDI with DSG

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
I NEED YOUR INPUT PLEASE

I have found a 2011 Golf TDI with DSG. It only has 36K on it. I know zero about the DSG transmissions.

Is there any problems that are inherent to 2011 DSG that would keep me from buying the car?

Thank you!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I know that the DSG requires fluid changes every 40K miles. I have never driven one though.

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
I know that the DSG requires fluid changes every 40K miles. I have never driven one though.

I drove one Saturday and it seemed fine but it is a 2011 with only 36,000 and i have ALWAYS driven manual.

I don't mind changing fluids, just don't want a tranny swap at 60,000

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
You can search this forum for DSG questions in the different model sections.

From what I have read (I don't have a DSG), fluid and filter needs to be changed every 40K. Clutch packs, mechatronics unit and solenoids can be problem areas for certain models/years of DSG.
Some owners have had problems, some have high miles with just changing the fluid.

I had a 2013 Jetta with the DSG, did not keep it long enough to need to change the fluid, it had 56K on it when I purchased it, and should have had one change done. It drove fine, shifted fine, did not have any drivability issues.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
My 2010 Golf DSG had 140k before the buyback, no issues. I put 40k on the older DSG of the 2006, it now has 220k with no issues(and I push it hard and use every bit of that 300-350 lb-ft of torque).

Changing the flywheel was more common on the older ones, but the newer ones are just as likely to have a DMF failure as a manual's flywheel. Changing the clutch and flywheel on the DSG is very similar to that of a manual, though the DSG clutches are stronger. The manual also has a taller overdrive, your cruising RPM is much lower.

Fluid changes are pretty easy and cheap if you do it yourself, but I'd go with the manual if you choose to pay someone else to do it. The biggest issue from extending the fluid change is clutch wear. Some people will go a couple hundred thousand without a fluid change, but those are the ones that usually need new clutches. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to change my clutches soon due to the power and city driving, but there's others who have over 400k on the original DSG clutches.

There's a very slight chance of a mechatronic(the brain box for the DSG) unit failure, but that's pretty rare.