2011 Golf TDI exhaust and DPF removal

RECON_RON

TDI
2011 Golf
I'm soon receiving a turboback exhaust for my car, are there any tips and tricks you guys could give me for removing the DPF? I heard that's the hardest part of removing the exhaust.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Hardest part of taking it off is leaving it on and realizing how much $ you spent for 0 improvement and will never regain your mpg cost benefits. Unless you make the system yourself. What did you pay for your kit?

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
do not listen to the above poster. its totally worth it.

i'm going from memory here, but remove the passenger side axle. you can lower the subframe a few inches without removing it, that will help quite a bit. if you get stuck (i did, i remember) you can cut the lower flange and it came right out.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I was able to wiggle mine out by just loosening the sub frame bolts if I remember right. I was on axle stands..... it took some swearing, prying and a bit of blood.
As for costs, true you may never see the gain in mpg alone but the mpg overall is better, (~10-15%) plus there are no more regens which in itself was worth it for me. I also increased my oil changes to 20,000km and can use easier to get and cheaper (in cost than 507) oil. (Shell T6 for me) I went with a Malone tune and they were great to work with.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nevermind Mongler, his bag of clues has a gaping hole it the bottom :rolleyes:

You can take the entire subframe/steering assembly completely out of the car pretty easily. Then you have all the room you need and then some. Electric steering is awesome for serviceability!

There is also extra room from above (if you like) to make it easier. It does require taking the wiper arms off and cowl trim out, but then you can take the little false firewall piece up and out... gives another couple inches AND lets more light in back there. I usually only do that for turbocharger replacements though.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Geese, read much?
Is it an improvement? Yes
Will you gain hp? No
Will you increase in mpg? Somewhat as no regens.
At a $1,600 price tag, you wont see a return on your $ for a long time. Fuel is fairly cheap here in the states, compared to most other places. And your realistic 5% wont make up the difference for a long time. 10 year or less depending on how much you drive and the lead foot effect of nodding your car wont help. You will have a most nasty smelling exhaust and a slightly better sounding car. Tradeoffs tradeoffs.
I simply said that it's not worth it UNLESS you can weld and do your own system, then it's totally worth if if your prepared to have the results as mentioned above. Also Arizona looks like a state that requires emissions testing on all cars unless there old af regardless of fuel type. So have fun with that. Also federal law blah blah blah. Forum rules too.

oilhammer

TDI
I read a lot. I also service these cars. A lot. So I actually know what issues they have, and how to resolve them or at least minimize the chances of them happening.

Cracked DPFs are EXTREMELY common. So common, VAG has a TSB about it. And this was BEFORE Dieselgate. Cranking the emission controls up even tighter will only make the problem worse. And it has.

Look up the price of a DPF. Then look up the labor to R&R one.

Turbochargers. Common failure, mainly due to the stress that gets placed upon them during DPF regens. If you have no DPF, you have no regen, so no added stress on the turbocharger. Price one of those. It costs more than thrice the value of your car.

Yes, this is against Federal law, and yes, it sucks, but it most certainly DOES prevent expensive problems down the road. EGR delete eliminates the low pressure intercooler icing issue. Do you know how much it costs to replace a CJAA after the rods bend and break? I will give you a hint: a lot more than $1600.

So while I certainly am not calling for everyone to delete much of the emissions compliance equipment, I totally understand the reasoning why someone would, and it is based in sound simple math. Unlike the PDs and VEs, whose emissions equipment is trivial in comparison, and does very little real negative in the long run regarding reliability and durability, the CRs most certainly DO have an effect.

So please Mongler, unless you own one of these cars or have some real world experience with them, stick to your old stuff. It is a very different ball game, and has a very different set of problems which can be better or worse depending on your tolerance for such things.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Nevermind Mongler, his bag of clues has a gaping hole it the bottom :rolleyes:
You can take the entire subframe/steering assembly completely out of the car pretty easily. Then you have all the room you need and then some. Electric steering is awesome for serviceability!
There is also extra room from above (if you like) to make it easier. It does require taking the wiper arms off and cowl trim out, but then you can take the little false firewall piece up and out... gives another couple inches AND lets more light in back there. I usually only do that for turbocharger replacements though.
Thanks for the tips! I need to figure out how to swap my Darkside Downpipe DPF and Cat delete sometime soon. Ive had the pipe for about a month, maybe longer, just no time with kids, sports, etc...and my job is really cutting into my play time.

I was really hoping I could just loosen the clamps or whatever they have holding the pipe in place and lower it down. Not sure about removing the passenger axle and all. Do I have to separate a ball joint to do that? And removing the subframe? srsly? Why do engineers continue to block serviceable parts from maintenance using hard parts, like frames?

oilhammer

TDI
These cars are super easy to work on. Seriously, if everyone designed them like this, I'd be much happier. The subframe assembly is super easy to take down.

No messing with ball joints. They simply unbolt from the control arms. Three nuts on each side, right out in the open, and the control arm simply pulls down and away from them.

Granted I have a lift, and air tools, but I can have the whole entire steering and subframe assembly out of the car in 20 minutes. The only issue that *may* arise is if the upper sway bar link attachments decide to stick, that may add a bit of time to fiddle with those. But they usually zip right off.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The extended emissions warranty should take care of any emissions issues you have for free. So expensive is not even in the picture here as everything should be covered, including a rental car. You may be out some time but that should be it. As long as you are aware of the ups and downs of doing this, roll right along. Sure is a lot of money to plunk down though for a delete and tune! I personally would only consider this if I had any trouble from VW with the warranty. If I can't get them to resolve any issues, I would also consider it as well as dumping the car. I have never had an issue with either service department locally that I have used.