2011 dsg jerky trans when cold?

bubba_mcnabb

TDI
2011 jetta dsg
I got a 2011 tdi jet i bought it with 60k now almost 70k on it. when i go to take off if its cold it jerks real bad like the engine isnt getting fuel or something goofy in the dsg? it normaly will do it when the rpms drop (going from 1st to 2nd gear). Any body have any clue to what this might be?

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Gone, looking for a cheap commuter
Mine does a similar thing with only 22K on the ticker..It feels exactly like someone attempting to drive around at slow speeds with a manual tranny, which I'm assuming the car is actually doing. It's like the car needs to press the clutch in when pulling up to a stop sign, or in slow speed parking lot driving.

Really my only complaint about the entire car so far is how outa place it feels between 5 and say 15 mph.

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
I find that if you shift it into sport (S) mode at low speeds that this jerking effect is minimized. Why not try it? I do that at low speeds till everything warms up, then it is ok. Quirky indeed...

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Gone, looking for a cheap commuter
I may just let Malone do it :). Thanks for the info though. I bought my car used so I'm not really sure exactly what has or has not been done to it just yet.

LeonVFB

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
No there is nothing wrong with your trans. This is common place with many german transmissions when they are cold. I brought this up when I owned my a6 and for some reason vw/german engineers design the transmission to have a harder shift into second when the trans is cold because this causes there to be a lighter load on the transmission.

Edit: Yes I know they arent the same transmissions...

Last edited:

infoseeker

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
jerky DSG

Interestingly, this jerky-when-cold symptom has plagued my wife's car since new. When I complained to the service department, they responded "operating as designed". Though I don't believe there was a design spec to "shudder and jerk so as to annoy occupants when engine is cold", it just recently stopped jerking for a while...immediately after I replaced the battery. I thought that was interesting, though am sad to see and feel the jerking again now after a few hundred miles.:(

bubba_mcnabb

TDI
2011 jetta dsg
Yea glad it's not something mechanical, but you wouldn't think that would be normal in a car but o well I guess

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
Interestingly, this jerky-when-cold symptom has plagued my wife's car since new. When I complained to the service department, they responded "operating as designed". Though I don't believe there was a design spec to "shudder and jerk so as to annoy occupants when engine is cold", it just recently stopped jerking for a while...immediately after I replaced the battery. I thought that was interesting, though am sad to see and feel the jerking again now after a few hundred miles.:(
Replacing the battery might have caused the car to learn your driving habits.