2011 2.0 CR 6spd DKM SMF clutch DISASTER (dead synchros, new trans, new clutch)

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
CR170 DMF with Sachs SRE clutch kit,
Doesnt work as easy as it sounds like.
The CR170 DMF (from G6 GTD) wont fit into my 02Q Gearbox.
The pressure plate is thicker than the original one and collide with the housing in the inside (SRE Clutch kit
wont change it, have it also laying around here).
A closer look (comparing G6 GTD housing and "mine"), revealed, that the MK6 GTD housing is grinded down
more or less. Hard to tell from this perspective, if its actually a new housing or just grinded down version.

Putting on my pressure plate with CR170 wont work either, since the screwholes dont really align.

All in all. What turned out to be a straight swap, ended in an unfinished, not so easy build.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Doesnt work as easy as it sounds like.
The CR170 DMF (from G6 GTD) wont fit into my 02Q Gearbox.
The pressure plate is thicker than the original one and collide with the housing in the inside (SRE Clutch kit
wont change it, have it also laying around here).
A closer look (comparing G6 GTD housing and "mine"), revealed, that the MK6 GTD housing is grinded down
more or less. Hard to tell from this perspective, if its actually a new housing or just grinded down version.

Putting on my pressure plate with CR170 wont work either, since the screwholes dont really align.

All in all. What turned out to be a straight swap, ended in an unfinished, not so easy build.
Sorry I meant this kit. I have the metallic version. This was clarified in another thread later.

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
It replaces the stock crank pulley and has silicone fluid dampening built into it that absorbs harmonics and vibrations. They arent' super cheap.

FWIW, the Fluidampr did not provide a solution to the issue with the synchros. It did however help with DMF shudder.
@Xtremefunky the limit for DMF based on other's experiences on the forums (myself included) was somewhere in the 400-425Nm of torque but below 2200rpm. I currently am around 500Nm but it's all the way up at 2800-3000rpm and the DMF is perfectly fine.
I like the idea of an so called fluidampr. The problem I see is:
Which one does fit to my CR? As for now, if I search up, I find dampers for the EA888 and 1.9TDI
as well as early 2.0TDIs (PD), but none for CRs.
And since those are quite expensive, I wouldnt want to spend that much money, only to find out,
it doesnt fit.
Is there any damper, that is known to fit?
Would be cool.

As for the CR170 DMF conversion. I found out, that you can use it.
The 125kW gearboxes are just grinded down versions of the 103kWs.
So take an angle grinder, take away about 1.5mm (wall thickness is 3.5mm) and you are good to go.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The fluidampr I'm running I believe was for the 1.9L. It only required a slight trim to the lower timing cover that may or may not be necessary on your particular motor. Agree it's an expensive piece for what may not be needed really if peak torque is coming on later anyway, or you just want to quiet down synchro chatter with an SMF setup on a brass-synchro'd gearbox.

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
The fluidampr I'm running I believe was for the 1.9L. It only required a slight trim to the lower timing cover that may or may not be necessary on your particular motor. Agree it's an expensive piece for what may not be needed really if peak torque is coming on later anyway, or you just want to quiet down synchro chatter with an SMF setup on a brass-synchro'd gearbox.
Thank you. I dont have any problem with cutting away a bit of the timing cover. As long as it "fits" to the crank pulley and
my belt for the electric and stuff is still able to do its job :D.

Hmm, well the thing is. I dont know how much Torque that thing can handle.
Since im already building it up, I want to put this part as well, to get as much torque as possible.
The GTD2060 is able to provide max boost short before 2000rpm.
Peak torque will be at about 3000-3250rpm with 700Nm. And between 2000 and 3000rpm,
I want to raise it as much as I can, without running into the typical DMF vibrations.

I hope this damper helps a little and if it doesnt. Maybe extends the life of the DMF.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I think 600-650Nm and above you may want to be sure you have the input shaft support brace for the 02Q to keep the gears from walking away from each other.
Peak boost at 2k RPM would be impressive with that size turbo!

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
I think 600-650Nm and above you may want to be sure you have the input shaft support brace
Yes. Definitely! I already smashed one gearbox back in the days. I dont use the support brace for the 4th gear, I rather
use the full metal core insert. Since then, I never had any issues with about 700Nm.
But I dont shift gears like a maniac. Im pretty sure, if you give it the typical 1/4m shifts, its dead again in no time. Lol.
At least don octane (the biggest 02M and 02Q "gearbox guy" in germany meant, that you cant reinforce a stock geared
gearbox good enough to withstand 600Nm+. Of course hes talking about flatshifts and abuse).

Peak boost at 2k RPM would be impressive with that size turbo!
Actually, I´m impressed too! Its from MuchBoost (working with them for 5 years now) and they told me,
they calibrate the VNT very precisely on the flowbench. And seems like they doing a really good job with it.
My greek friend, has put the turbo in the same engine, in the same car. The only difference is, he used an OEM
Turbo (used market) and welded it to the manifold. His turbo is spooling like you would expect. At about 2500rpm.
My balanced and flowbenched unit, is able to produce about 2bars (3 with atmosphere) at 1950rpm.
Once my thick 5W50 Oil gets warm, the car drives nearly like stock. I really wondering day by day,
how they managed to make this turbo so lifely.

Xtremefunky

TDI
EA189
After 3 years of driving with the single mass flywheel and killing and smashing about 3 gearboxes,
I finally made the switch back to DMF.
I went with the MK6 GTD DMF, as people say (and when I reprog them, I also notice), that the DMF can take
about 50Nm more in low rpm and thats actually true.
I just needed to build it a bit different on my car, because it appears that the MK6 GTD has a different pedal cylinder
to clutch cylinder ratio than ibiza (ibiza has bigger / pushes more fluid). It makes the stock pressure plate overbending,
and kills it in basically no time. I took out the gearbox 3 times in the last 2 weeks... what a pain.
But hey, in the last attempt, I was able to get the gearbox in 1h and 45m out. New record for me.

Whats also interesting: You cant just simply fit a CR170 DMF in any CR140/143. The gearbox housing of the CR170,
is the same, but additionally grinded, to make the bigger clutch package of the CR170 fit in there. You also need to
cut the teeths of the starter motor a bit. As it would be constantly engaging. The clutch actuator should be the original
from the car. If you take the CR170, its too big. 3mm to be precise. This comes due to the additional work on the CR170 gearbox.
They moved the bearing / actuator 3mm more "into" the gearbox and therefore needed to make it 3mm bigger in order to
touch the pressure plate at the same position. The CR140 doesnt have this, so the actuator would be 3mm too big.

I hope this info can help someone, who wants to put in the better DMF too.
As for now. In Ibiza, it takes the 700Nm at 3000rpm without any hustle. Seriously impressed and happy with the outcome.
Actually scratching my head, why I drove 3-4 years with SMF, when I could have had this heaven.