2010 VW Jetta Randomly shut off

TDIEnthusiast

TDI
jetta
Okay, so I was rolling up our drive way (not pressing on the accelerator), which is sort of uphill, but by no means a major incline and it randomly shut off, showing just the battery (it was not flashing or anything like that).

I only had the car on for 2 minutes or so, as in just to move the car out of the driveway for someone.

I drove it earlier in the day for about 30 minutes or so with no issues at all.

This happened when I was stopped at a street light a year or so ago, but I never thought anything of it.

I'm afraid to drive the car, but I'm looking for advice.. Has this happened to anyone before?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Okay, so I was rolling up our drive way (not pressing on the accelerator), which is sort of uphill, but by no means a major incline and it randomly shut off, showing just the battery (it was not flashing or anything like that).

I only had the car on for 2 minutes or so, as in just to move the car out of the driveway for someone.

I drove it earlier in the day for about 30 minutes or so with no issues at all.

This happened when I was stopped at a street light a year or so ago, but I never thought anything of it.

I'm afraid to drive the car, but I'm looking for advice.. Has this happened to anyone before?
You will never experience total peace of mind driving these newer VW diesels, car is just to complicated, mine gives me false neutrals first time I've heard of one shutting down? but either situation is scary! before you get to deep in diagnosing your problem my advice would be to get rid of it for something more reliable

TDIEnthusiast

TDI
jetta
The car still works, it was driven with no issues yesterday.

At the time when the engine randomly shut off, I only had the car on for about two minutes and I was rolling up the incline without pressing on the "gas" at all.

So, I'm just curious to know as what happened?

Last year a similar thing happened at a stop light, when I was at a complete stop, but it never happened again, so I just brushed it off.

GearheadzTV

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 JSW DSG
Is it possible to stall a DSG? :confused:
Yup. It's happened once before to mine...creeping along at idle, kinda blipped the throttle ever so slightly and when the rpms dropped the car shut off. Maybe it's like the mt's shutting off under 800 rpms....???

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
It sounds like your DSG clutches are engaging too much for conditions. I've confused mine into stalling before. If you use the accelerator to hold a steep hill and let off too much it can stall.

Donald

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
It sounds like your DSG clutches are engaging too much for conditions. I've confused mine into stalling before. If you use the accelerator to hold a steep hill and let off too much it can stall.

Donald
Something similar happened to me yesturday turning around into a steep uphill driveway. I wasn't holding the hill, just pulling in enough to turn around. Before i could put it in reverse it actually turned off, not just stalled. Then the key wouldn't turn and i really started to worry. i took the key out and put it back in and everything was fine drove another 60 mi. since with no problem.

TDIEnthusiast

TDI
jetta
Guys it stalled again yesterday... Was driving up a small, slight hill going 10-15 mph with foot on accelerator and it shut off completely..

Is it a problem with DSG?

I've also noticed my car has taken awhile to turn on here and there lately.

I hope there's nothing wrong with fuel pump or DSG...

Could it spark plugs causing the rough start?

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
You do know that these TDI cars don't have spark plugs? :confused: You really need to get a scan of the codes to see what might be wrong. It might be bad fuel also.. You may also want to try changing a fuel filter... Just an idea.

Falkon45

TDI
2010 TDi Wagen
I've had my car randomly cut off, but to much different issues (bad fuel, mech fuel pump failure, and now, a short in the engine harness, killing my injector driver). First, if your glow plug light is on when it happens, or remains on when the car is driving (sometimes the engine light as well) a pressure sensor may have went bad in one of the glow plugs. This has happened to me before, also. Glow plugs are $110 a piece. Also, if VW asked to do the "advanced scan" for another hundred dollars, but you already pulled the code, tell them no. They will tell you the same thing you told them.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Oh great something else to look forward to.... My sympathies, intermittent issues are hard to pinpoint.

Does anyone in NY area have a Ross-Tech Cable nearby who can scan his car?

What year car? Miles? Is it under warranty?

Last edited: