2010 TDIFEST PNW Convoy Thread

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hello All!

By now most of you have probably seen that the 2010 TDIFest will be held on this coast!

Firstly, thank you so much to the people who put the proposal together and have brought the fest here! Way to go!!!!!

I would like to start planning a "convoy" of PNW tdiclub members to head down to 'fest. I know it's a long way off, but I'd like to start hearing suggestions from people. I think it would be really great to have several meeting places along the way so we can "pick-up" fellow members along the route.

Here's just a brief idea, and obviously this can totally change.

•First meet in Surrey at the border, or just across. Do you think there is a point to meet up before that, like actually in Vancouver?
•Meet up around Mt Vernon for the people north of Seattle. Anyone?
•Meet up around Olympia(?) for the people in Seattle/south of Seattle.
•Meet up somewhere further south, such as where the 12 meets I5 for the people coming from central Washington. Are people interested in this or will the central/eastern people just head south and along the gorge?

Will we need to make another stop to gather others?

The other reason for the designated stops is to keep people together. I love to drive fast, but IMHO I5 is not the place to do that. And a convoy of VW will be a heat score. Having said that, some people may not like the pace of the group, so can go ahead and wait at the next meeting point. I think to really get the feeling of the convoy, we should all show up at the venue in as big a group as possible, that shouldn't create a parking nightmare at all ;) !!

Please post back here with your interest level. I expect this to be slow for the next several months, but at least people can start thinking about it!!!

I'm really looking forward to this, and of course 'Fest!!
-Chris

Schmoky

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI, PP520 Nozzles,
BC is bigger than just the lower mainland. Don't forget about us from the north. We could meet along the way and join the rest of you. I am thinking hwy 97, fraser canyon or meet in Kamloops and take the coquhalla to meet the rest of you. Kamloops might be best as we could have the Alberta people meet us there.

Schmoky

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Schmoky said:
BC is bigger than just the lower mainland. Don't forget about us from the north. We could meet along the way and join the rest of you. I am thinking hwy 97, fraser canyon or meet in Kamloops and take the coquhalla to meet the rest of you. Kamloops might be best as we could have the Alberta people meet us there.

Schmoky
Indeed, I have not forgotten about you!! The blast down the west coast will be long enough to try and keep a group together. I see several issues with getting too big of a group together in the lower mainland.

1) Waiting for a ton of cars to cross the border won't be fun. What happens if someone gets the rubber glove treatment? Do we wait?

2) There are people coming from so many places and everyone will want to leave at different times.

3) Please from the east might want to cross the border further east then the Lower Mainland and drive across Washington state.

I meant no disrespect by not including other areas of BC and places further north & east. It will just be too difficult to plan for EVERY possible area. I guess what I was thinking was a 6 hour drive will be long enough to try and plan a convoy for. People coming from other areas can plan to be at a meeting area along the route and don't need to stress about staying together before that.

Perhaps you should start a new thread to organize getting people to one of the meeting spots along the route? That way people in your area can start talking planning on if they want to convoy or if they just want to meet somewhere else.

Hope that makes sense!
-Chris

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
For the northern U.S. folks the Conway, WA (exit 221) just south of Mt. Vernon has worked well in the past for a meet up. Couple of stations there and lots of off street parking areas too. I will keep it on the radar for later!

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
When Was This Decision Announced??

Really curious, I know there's been a lot of talk about TDIFest 2010 being held out here on the left coast, but I didn't know there had been an official announcement. When was it decided that it's really going to be held out here?

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
DUHH..Never Mind!!

OK, I just saw Fred's announcement thread. Awesome!! Can't wait for early September.

I have a large back yard that I can offer for those who prefer to sleep in tents, rather than hotel/motel rooms. Shower available, as well.

Depending on the final site chosen for the Fest, I'm probably a 10 to 15 minute drive, max, from anywhere in the PDX area.

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
I owe so much to TDI club and it's members - that I might have to jump (back) into the PNW GTG's and attend this one.

Kids, family, and a new job have kept me from the last few, but if it's TDI Fest 2010...:D

michael.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I would love to caravan down, but I'll probably be there a couple days in advance setting up. If a large caravan groups up, I would love it if someone with some good photography skills/equipment could take some side of the road shots...

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Farfromovin said:
I would love to caravan down, but I'll probably be there a couple days in advance setting up. If a large caravan groups up, I would love it if someone with some good photography skills/equipment could take some side of the road shots...
I'm down with the photos. I got the equipment - wish my skills were as good as some of the other people on here though ;) !!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
way to be ambitious, blizz! Awesome! I would love to see a HUGE convoy of TDI's pull into the hotel parking lot. That would rock! Take over the highways! move over big rigs... the little diesels are torquin' thru!

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I would like caravan but I love to speed, have an iron bladder and hate to stop unless absolutely necessary. I just like to get there fast and make the most out of my time. Most caravans I've been in take 20-40% longer due to additional stops, pee breaks, hunger and/or rest stops. While that's not a bad thing, it's not MY thing. Will I be driving alone???

For example, about a year ago on my way back from Bend, OR (about 830 miles in about 12 hours) and I made 2 stops that day. 1st stop was around Mt Shasta/Redding area for lunch and another at the "Grapevine" to fill up.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Bump as it has been 7 months since there has been any activity here, and also because the Man himself mentioned it might be time to get this going ;)

-Chris

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Come to Fest! Do it... there's not much that's cooler than seeing a convoy of TDI's pulling into the hotel together! it's such an awesome sight! It's on your coast guys! Come down and visit! don't let the border stop ya!

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Hoping I can join the caravan down on Friday, but not sure about when I can leave work.

michael.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Here are the Rest Area options going South.

I would opt for Custer for the Northerners and Maytown for everyone South of Mt Vernon. Limits the stopping. Just pick a time or times.

Custer (MP 269) 6.6 Miles S of Blaine
Bow Hill (MP 238) 15.5 Miles S of Bellingham
Smokey Point (MP 207) 19.5 Miles S of Mt. Vernon
Silver Lake (MP 188) 5.9 Miles S of Everett
Gee Creek (MP 12) 8.1 Miles S of Woodland
Maytown (MP 93) 11.6 Miles S of Olympia
Toutle River (MP 54) 23.4 Mile S of Chehalis

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Unfortunately I'm probably not going to be able to make the convoy. In fact, there's no probably about it. We have a wedding to attend on the Friday, and I'm doing some arm-twisting to only go to the ceremony, but it doesn't look like that is gonna fly.

Worst case we'll be driving down through the night on Friday to make saturday's festivities. Best case, Friday afternoon/evening...

I will continue to monitor this thread forlornly ;) !!

Cheers,
-Chris

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
We'll be leaving after work friday afternoon (4-5 pm) enduring the labour day weekend border line ups and grabbing some motel a couple hours North of Portland.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I finally got approved for the time off from work but I only have the Friday-Sunday off and have to work until 4pm on Thursday and back to work on Monday afternoon so it'll be a matter of leaving Thursday night to the Mainland and maybe catching a room across the border on the way down. Looking forward to seeing everyone down there!! :D

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Convoy!!!!

They are so fun, I'm almost sad that I live in the same town as Fest.

See you all there!

-Keli

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I am no longer able to make 'Fest! I'm super bummed, but it is the way of the world.

Hopefully this convoy pans out for a few of the PNWers!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Sorry to hear that you can't make it blizzard60.
If I weren't headed down a day early I'd just start by posting the time I'm planning to leave and approximate times I plan to be at a few places (ie rest stop) and see if anyone else is interested in meeting up and taking it from there. Time is kind of tight now so perhaps someone else from BC or north of Seattle could get this rolling.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
Tukwila

I will be heading down from Tukwila, just south of Seattle, from Southcenter Mall, at around 4pm. Green MK4 golf with a black VW badge and biodiesel tag under that. I might be able to get out between 3 and 330. PM me on Friday if there are any takers.

It would be nice to have at least a few cars together in the traffic. If traffic is horrible. I will be finding a brewery to hang out in. Hmm. I should bring a growler.

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Well Crap...

I think I just blew my turbo... today... Tuesday.

So good timing as I can just go to TDIFest and pick up a new turbo, but I have no functional car now...

Working on an alternative plan,
michael.