2010 TDI w/80K - should I buy?

JC2

TDI
not yet
Hi Everyone,

TDI noob here, and hoping for some advice. I found a 2010 Golf TDI with 80k for $15k. It's about all I can afford, but was wondering if I should have any concerns with the high mileage? (it is the perfect color, doors, everything that I am looking for)

Is there anything bad I should look for? Are there warrantees available for high mileage?

My goal is to sell an 88 BMW 325is and a 2005 Mazda3 and replace with TDI or GTI. Seems like the perfect combination of the two older cars.

If I do get a TDI, I would plan on a stage 1 tune and tighter suspension setup. I am a "spirited" driver!

Any and all advice would be most appreciated!

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
You can buy a brand new one with warranty for 23k, so why the hell would you do this esp considering how scary repairs are on this car.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
well there is a big difference between 23 and 15 ( and I doubt you can get one for 23 ) first how much driving do you do? do you need a TDI, 15 k will buy you a lot of good use cars, regarding this one how has it been maintained? service records? stick or auto ( if it is a DSG auto it should have had 2 40 K DSG services done by now. How are the tires new or near the end of the line . The miles would not scare me if it was taken care of and had the paper work to prove it, but 15 seems a little high, is it a dealer if so over 13.5 out the door it is XMAs season and car sales slow down.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Hell maybe 15 k is a good buy see below from MN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE
What's the going price for these "high mile" CRDs?
I paid $18,700 for a 74.xxx mile 2010 without sun roof.... I was also looking at a 2011 with 35K miles and sunroof for 19.999.

Bill

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
one last bit of advice if you can have a TDI guru look over the car and let you know if it needs anything.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I just bought my 2010 JSW 6MT for 12500 with 126K miles on it. Driven by a lady with a one way work commute of 108 miles...on the turnpike. So, lots of highway miles. Very well maintained. The high miles didn't scare me since I do all my maintenance and repairs myself. I did use my VCDS to check the DPF. I do have to do the timing belt but I already have all the tools so I just have to buy the parts.

My first purchase (actually prior to picking up the car) was a Bentley manual...just arrived a couple days ago and has been good reading!

JC2

TDI
not yet
Thanks everyone, for all the advice. I don't actually do a lot of driving (work from home) so I'm beginning to think that the MPG doesn't matter as much. I do like the idea of "doing my part" for overall fuel consumption in the world, but the scary repair stories are also a bit concerning. No decisions made yet - still looking. I appreciate the help.

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
if you don't drive alot buy a gasoline engine vehicle, honda makes some of the best. the 2012 CRV is darn near perfect for a JSW guy, if it only had the 2.2 or 1.6 diesel that Honda sells in europe!!!!

my other vehicle is a 2012 CRV AWD and I am leasing it now, thinking about buying it out to replace my JSW when I get some more miles on it

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
If you do not do a lot of driving a TDI may not be the best choice, the best way to do your part is find the right car, keep it in good shape and keep it a long time. A honda or maybe a chevy cruise make more sense ( not sure if they are that cheap used yet) or maybe a used mazda 3 good on fuel.

bmatt

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I have a 2011 jsw with 50k. I drive almost 300 miles roundtrip a day to work. I bought it with 7k for $21000.