2010 Sportwagen ESP/eng light on- tdi

vfrav8r

TDI
2006.5 TDI Special Edition Jetta (A+), 2010 JSW TDI (short lived), 2010 Touareg TDI(C -hard on tires), 2014 Jetta TDI- TDI (little de-cultured)
delete

You may not want to read this, many of us here have high regard for the 2010 Jetta TDI. However, there are some issues going on with what seems to be, 2010 years only. If you get the fuel economy on the window sticker, and you dash board isn't lit up like a pin ball machine, you are lucky. Otherwise, VW is good about handling complaints. I never heard what the problem was with my car, lots of parts were thrown at it, and I heard it may have been software. I'm waiting for the car magazines to get over the 2009 TDI, and someday we will hear the rest of the story.

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I seem to recall reading about inter-related ABS/CEL indicators before and it having something to do with a defective brake switch, but I could be totally off on that. Regarding what the owner's manual says about driving slow when the CEL comes on, the CEL (i.e., MIL) comes on when there is an emissions-related code set in the ECU. As long as the light isn't flashing, I'm pretty sure it's ok to drive the car normally until a dealer has an opportunity to read/correct the fault. I don't know for a fact, but I'd wager that the talk about driving slowly until the MIL is corrected is EPA-related legalese. They don't want people driving around forever with MILs on because there's something going on with the emissions equipment on the car. If the light is flashing, you should shut the engine off and have the car towed to a dealer for diagnosis/repair. As for your ABS light, yeah, that would probably cause me to drive slowly as well. Better yet, I'd just take the car to the dealer ASAP. I don't want to find out whether or not the ESP/ABS work when that light is on.

Is your dealer or VW telling you that this is a problem with all recently-sold JSWs? Since defective parts are related to date of production, date of sale is possibly irrelevant except that a recently-sold car has a good chance of being recently produced.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
this is the first I've heard of something like that. Sorry to hear your having trouble. Hopefully it gets squared away quickly

Morescratch

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Not sure if it's related but mine came with a faulty cluster. The oil level warning light comes on every half hour or so and flashes for 3 times. I was too impatient to wait for the replacement (3 days, from Germany) so I have been driving it like this for 7200KM so far. I will hopefully have time this week to bring it in. Keep us updated.

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
Build month/year is on a sticker between the doors at the bottom on the driver's side (near the rocker panel).

I think everyone with a CR engine should include the build date in their sig.

Ray

billybud

TDI
2010 tdi sportwagen
Received my 2010 jetta wagen in December. I am new to The tdi engine and have read this web site with great interest. I have been wondering if you guys think that adding a fuel additive like opti lube is a good idea?

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I have been wondering if you guys think that adding a fuel additive like opti lube is a good idea?
I use additives in my boat where the fuel does not turn over very quickly and all kinds of nasty things can grow in it. I do not use additives in my car.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
billybud said:
I have been wondering if you guys think that adding a fuel additive like opti lube is a good idea?
I don't know for your CR motor, nor that brand. I suggest reviewing topics in the Fuels & Lubricants section. Always limit choices to trusted brands, as some are snake oil and risk expensive fuel system damage.

Edit
I highly recommend anti-gel additive for those living in climates dipping below 15F. I went 5 years without gelling -- 4 of which with a ALH motor having a CAT2 filter (2 micron). Last year gelled below 0F, and from trusted fuel source. Learned my lesson, using additive in winter ever since. Just make sure additive of choice is OK for your build.

Last edited: