2010 JSW TDI resale values

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I am doing some research in preparation to sell my JSW TDI.
If KBB, Edmunds, and the asking prices in online classifieds like Autotrader and cars.com, are even in the ballpark, I will be very happy. And, it seems, all of us have chosen wisely as far as resale value.
I know its a sellers used market, especially for fuel efficient used cars, but they seem encouragingly high. Does anyone have any knowledge of actual used sales or purchase prices?

2010 JSW TDI CW
DSG
9400 mi
no accidents or damage

Last edited:

Arne in Oregon

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf MT6
Actually, no. I've not seen any used in my area, know of no one who bought one used, and most TDI buyers tend to keep them longer than you are contemplating. I know that I have entertained no thoughts at all of selling mine.

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
V-W,

I tried to sell my '10 Golf with 9k for 21,500 obo. I had two parties interested but both walked once they found out the turbo had blown. There was no sense on trying to hide that- it could have been seen by running the vin. I was prepared to take less than 21.5, obviously, but I personally could not drawl an offer. Good luck.

TonyVA

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I don't see anybody would sell. It's such a nice car.
Probably those who sold are those who had HPFP failed? If true, then you will find a lot out there when the warranty expires.

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Asking prices at dealers are all I have to go by, and that means nothing. Those prices seem high. KBB and Edmunds seem high also. I wanted a decent reference for negotiating trade in value.

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
It would appear that the dealers are happily gouging people for them, at least what they are asking for them: search query

If demand is that decent, try Carmax and they will buy it from you for a decent number. They gave me 23k for a 2008 Odyssey Touring with 51k miles on it three months ago. No headaches at all, they just do volume business and only buy nice, damage free vehicles.

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
It would appear that the dealers are happily gouging people for them, at least what they are asking for them: search query

If demand is that decent, try Carmax and they will buy it from you for a decent number. They gave me 23k for a 2008 Odyssey Touring with 51k miles on it three months ago. No headaches at all, they just do volume business and only buy nice, damage free vehicles.
I might get a carfax appraisal, just out of curiosity. Thanks for the idea.

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Since there wasn't a lot of info available about resale. I'll share my experience as I sign off TDIClub. Long story short about my TDI; loved it, hated it; it was already becoming a headache at 10k mi I didn't want; several minor and one major problem, new fluid leak from repaired DMF and malfunctioning radio was last straw. I had no HPFP issues.
I was looking for a 2011 CRV EX. I got an offer of 21500 at one dealer and 22000 at another. After aggravating negotiations, I ended up trading nearly even, my 2010 JSW TDI w/10k mi + 400 for a new 2011 CRV EX, with a 23100 invoice price. I had 26200 invested in the JSW, this includes taxes paid and tax credit. In the end my JSW cost ~$260/mo for the year I had it. Not bad as far as depreciation. I think of it as a cheap lease.
Hope this helps anyone wanting to sell or trade.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
How do you like the CRV? Wife's Pilot has 150K on it now and it looks like the CRV will be replacing it. Waiting for the 2012s to hit the lot and see how the redesign looks. Also any early MPG data?

Wife's 2004 Pilot has been 21.7 MPG lifetime.

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
CRV has way too little refinement for me, just wait until you are sitting at a stop light with the AC on and the idle vibration nearly makes you sick sitting in your seat, you gave up alot by trading in your TDI JSW, CRV is old school in features and refinement. you should have waited for the 2012 CRV, that model will only be 6 years behind the current 2010 JSW

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
The CRV should be a reliable vehicle, if not very exciting. Two cars ago my wife had a 2006 CRV-SE and it was nice but even the loaded CRV was not that nice. The quality and fit/finish of the JSW is in a quantum leap forward. The current CRV turned me off with that curved C-pillar and snout although it looks OK in dark colors.

The CRV-SE we had got 17.1 in the type of driving my wife does. Not stellar but it will run forever as long as you keep feeding it.