2010 JSW door hinge rust beginning

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Since there have been a few threads about rust in recent days, here's one more.

2010 JSW, 170k miles, Michigan car. This rust is only on the driver's door upper hinge.

I'm going to have my front bumper repainted due to some missing paint on the center lower cowl area, so I may see if the body shop has any solutions. Unless anyone here has any solutions for how best to treat this.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
My understanding of the best way to prepare a metal surface is to reduce it with an acid (reduce the metal). When I am putting first finish on metal (like something I weld together), I clean it thoroughly, sometimes including brushing with caustic solution (sodium hydroxide), then rinsing thoroughly and switching to phosphoric acid for the reduction. Harbor Freight has tooth brush sized wire brushes which are fine tfor this kind of spot work. A blow dryer just before paint.

But this is already painted! To do it right, you probably have to remove the door and repaint both surfaces on that union. If you take it off, you can at least get a wire brush on them. If it seems pervasive, be aggressive and remove all of the paint. You can still do the phosphoric acid treatment (dilute) using a clean rag to control it better. This step will help the metal take the new coat. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a heat gun.

What paint? Touch up reflex silver should do it. You might put a layer of primer under it to help seal and protect the work you've done first. A lot of work, but if you take this route, you may never see any rust there again.

GASDAG

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5MT Sedan Silver, 2004 GMC Sierra i.e. no need for a wagon
I know the rusty mk4 fender corrosion warranty was extended to 12 years, what's the rust warranty like for mk6's ?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Same 12-year rust-perforation warranty. So it's a good thought. Maybe I should ask the dealer. But the thing is, I may have to wait until it's rusted through, by which point it may be too late.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
for that I would work some sort of oil in and forget about it. something that has descent wicking characteristics and does not readily evaporate.