2010 Jetta TDI Radio stopped working suddenly

TerryfromCLT

TDI
2010 Jetta
With a bow to OnceLikedMyTDI (and apologies to Queen), another one bites the dust! 2010 Jetta ---- Delphi AC. Fuses fine. 3 minute reset -- didn't. Trash. Didn't mess around -- just replaced it with a Kenwood, more features, looong warranty --- with installation (as I'm not skilled enough to do that installation) less than $400 all in. Works fine --- happy camper.

tommypete

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2011
Blacked out radio?

I have a 2011 JSW TDI. Radio blacked out. Found this thread after I was quoted over $800 by a pretty trustworthy mechanic. All I gotta say is if you are having this problem, don't waste a penny at the dealership. Contact BarryT82 right now. Get your issue fixed at under half the price. Real easy swap if you choose to DIY.

VivTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta
and another

joining the forum to say "me too". The unit on my 2010 Jetta TDI went awol yesterday. Black screen, no response to pulling or replacing fuses in the engine bay.

Now I'm "what do I do now?" .. I guess its sensible to wait until June 21, to see if any new news on Dieselgate before deciding to put any money into the car. Maybe it will be repurchased and scrapped? Who knows? If VW is going to buy it back, they can buy it back with a dead radio. Or maybe, we'll just be given yet another set of excuses why this is going to drag on.

By an extreme co-incidence, two days ago, I had ejected all the CD's from the player, so I'm not faced with the issue of having to retrieve them.

Mtanner33

TDI
Sportwagen 2011
2011 Sportwagen TDI - missing my tunes

Add me to the broken radio club. Haven't tried the reset, yet. Will update if I find any changes. Last summer I had a baby and my air conditioner went out. Twice. In Georgia. So ready for a buy-back!

sellig

TDI
Golf 2011
fuse position

does any one know the fuse box diagram for a 2011 golf tdi wagon
specially the position of the radio fuse?

VivTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta
Add me to the broken radio club. Haven't tried the reset, yet. Will update if I find any changes. Last summer I had a baby and my air conditioner went out. Twice. In Georgia. So ready for a buy-back!
My A/C went out last summer also. The Dealer Stealer charged me over $2,000 to replace it. Now the radio is out. And the DSG is starting to get grabby in the shifts. I love the car but I expect better, not even reached 80k miles yet.

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Well my radio took a dump today as well. Reading through this thread is depressing me even more. It seems like the radio just dies on a whim and stays that way. I have a philosophy of not just fixing things, but fixing things with better equipment so has anyone here have an aftermarket unit that has the same functionality and looks good installed like it belongs in the dash?

GPS Tech

TDI
1998 Jetta
Hello Barry. I have a 2010 jsw, radio is dead.made by Delphi, ends in action. No navigation, has the b/t and sat. What are my options with you? Am I stuck with a straight swap or will a nav model work I in it? Where would I get the GPS antenna? And if I get radio from you will it fail again, and how go I unlock the radio? Thanks!

Mtanner33

TDI
Sportwagen 2011
paging Barry

Barry, could you please PM me with any details you have about replacing my radio for 2011 TDI sportwagen?
Thank you!

ashutoshsm

TDI
JSW 6speed Manual
My system died a few months ago as well, 2011 TDI SportWagen.
At the dealer now (I had an hour free) to see if they confirm/diagnose it as a dead system, as opposed to a fuse.
Barry, I think I'll need to reach out if a replacement is on the cards!
Has anyone posted a price? Or does it vary?
Are these new systems or junkyard pulls?

I've got the 5-6 " screen version that all 2010/2011 TDI wagons came with, with 6 CD, Sirius etc and the SD card slot.

Smitty1014

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
source to purchase new radio

can you supply the source you purchased the OEM radio from?

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Well I'm also in this group as at lunchtime turned my car on, and absolutely nothing radio, Bluetooth works but no sound/can't hear. Fantastic as I'm going on a nice road trip next week. Guess I'll have to do like they did in the old days and listen on my iPad, lol.

Mtanner33

TDI
Sportwagen 2011
I just wanted to come back and update that Barry sent me a new system and I installed it in just a few minutes. Works great so far. Thanks Barry!

Unklmoe

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup edition
My radio just died in my 2010 cup car..... Just waiting to turn it in.... The A/C quit working last month.... Not happy at all with the car.... I used to love my Cup car.... JUNK!!!

Crookies

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Dead radio

My Radio died about two weeks ago and the air conditioner a month before that :mad:! I can survive without the air but commuting really sucks with no tunes!! Would love to get in touch with BarryT82.

dredgoff

TDI
Jetta
BarryT82 set me up with a radio for my 2010 Jetta Wolfsburg edition. Recommended - thanks Barry!

AngelenoTDIer

TDI
2010 Jetta
Chalk Another on the Board

After 95,500 miles, mine finally crapped out yesterday just before I got to work in the morning. I didn't know this was a common issue until I read all these posts last night. I do find it somewhat amusing that VW radios are such junk. The stock radio I had on my old '98 Jetta with the 6 disc changer crapped out around 80K miles during a road trip. Not cool. Mr. BarryT82, if you have any radios left for a 2010 Jetta, please PM me. Thanks!

Dad in Tacoma

TDI
'10 JSW
Interesting development. Seems to have fixed my radio. Mostly likely diagnosis of problem is that an internal cable works loose. My '10 JSW radio went dead on me about a week ago. Battery also soon went dead. Recharged the battery. Suspected a short in the radio, so pulled the fuse to save the battery while researching the radio. Pulled the radio; it's easy. Takes about 10 minutes without prior knowledge of the location of the clips holding the dash bezel. There is a youtube that shows its removal. Use a plastic pry tool. After the bezel is off, there are 4 screws to remove and the radio slides out. The radio then unplugs. VW really charges $100+ for this 5 minute job? Anyway, the radio comes apart easily. Take the top off (one screw, then gently pry off). Take out the CD drive (4 screws, 2 each side. Turn radio over and CD unit will fall out. Catch it so as not to damage the CD interconnecting cable which mates with the main pc board). I went further and removed the whole radio pc board to inspect for a fried component; you don't need to do this. To get the pc board out, I had to disconnect all the internal connecting cables. Never found anything in the inspection, so put it all back together, making sure the cable connectors were firmly seated. A couple are zero insertion force (ZIF) type, so be gentle with the connector's clamp mechanisms. Put it all back together. Plugged back in car, plugged in radio fuse, and IT'S ALIVE. Maybe I'm lucky. There are some reports of these things coming and going, but that's indicative of loose connections. Try reseating all the interface cables in their connectors before shelling out money.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
You got lucky. I've taken a few of them apart to try to repair them and haven't had any luck. Ive replaced the capacitors and tried swapping boards but none of that fixed the issue. The main board gets power, but it won't power on. In some of them you can hear a clicking sound coming from the left side of the board, but it's hard to determine where it's coming from because it isn't constant.

nnm

TDI
2010 Jetta Wolfs
Replacement for RDC-510

Hey, folks. Same issue on my 2010 Jetta Wolfsbrg. No power to radio and resetting fuses (which are intact) did not help. two questions:

1. I removed the fuses for now. Will it prevent the battery drain?

2. I found the RDC-510 H online for $320. Is that the best (and easiest to swap in) choice or should I look at an aftermarket product? If latter, what do you guys recommend?

RavenLunatic

TDI
2010 Jetti 2015 Pissant
Another dead Radio!

Have the 2010 Jetta TDI, 163000mi. My radio went dead like so many others here, but I was on the conspiracy trail... I had a collision with an innate five driver and the dealership took eleven weeks to repair, but that is a different story. When I got the car back the Sirius system had a 30 day activation. I did not renew the satellite system. Within a week of the expiration the radio died. I suspected some remote turnoff by Sirius! Wonder if there is a transient suppression diode that is failing - they are notorious for failing. From where I am now I think I should get hold of BarryT82 and get a replacement.

TandJ

TDI
OK gang.
Are you ready for this ??
Got into our 2006 Jetta 144225 Miles,started it (first time in 3-4 days) and the radio-CD started playing as normal!!! But the screen was and still is BLANK ! Everything works , Just the screen blank. haven't tried checking fuses etc. That's next. Anyone else had the same problem?
TandJ

P.S. No idea what model# is but 6 CD changer, AM FM SAT' great sound and only CD Player I have found with Base/Tenor/ Midrange controls !

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
It's only the early version AC radios that have the issue. It's a fuse on the board that goes bad, but it's cheaper to buy a new radio than to repair the broken one.
Barry -

Sorry to revive an old thread, but do you have any additional information on *what* precisely goes bad? I can replace surface mount components but don't know which component supposedly is bad.

Thanks!

sudye2

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Add my 2011 TDI Sportwagon to the list too. Radio quit mysteriously today. It was working fine on the way to work, then would not turn on when I got in the car in the late afternoon. Blank screen, no sound. Not even going to bother with the dealership.

RavenLunatic

TDI
2010 Jetti 2015 Pissant
Got a radio from BarryT82. He was great to work with! Radio is installed and works like a champ! Don't mess around - go to BarryT82 for a great solution!