2010 Jetta TDI radio problem

jedidiah.clampett

TDI
2010 Jetta & 2003 Jetta
My wife's 2010 jetta TDI has a touch screen premium 8 radio.
The time displays on the screen when powered off but whem it is powered on we can't make the radio play anything. I run thru the menus but cant get any sound from the radio. I considered pulling out the radio fuse but the book that came with the car is for the sportwagon not the sedan.
I can't find a radio fuse listed in the manual by the driver door but it mentions a fuse box under the hood which I can seem to find. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to find the fuse or should I just disconnect the battery to see if I can get it to work again. The problen started after one of the grand kids was messing with the controls on the radio.
I would appreciate any help/suggestions.
Jed

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
My friend has a 2009 and he reset his radio by simply holding down the on button for about a minute until it reset and started playing again. Don't know if this will work for 2010 but I would think it's worth a try.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
Glad to be of help. Don't know where some of these obscure fixes come from but it's great we have a source for finding out some of them at least.

TDfromPgh

TDI
2010 Jetta
I created an account just to say thanks for posting this. My radio also quit functioning abruptly and the dealership said it was an internal failure and nothing could be done but replace it for $700. I tried the method you mentioned with low expectations but was thrilled with the result. Thanks again.

Lolas Dad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I created an account just to say thanks for posting this. My radio also quit functioning abruptly and the dealership said it was an internal failure and nothing could be done but replace it for $700. I tried the method you mentioned with low expectations but was thrilled with the result. Thanks again.
The stealership was just out to make money and in the end had you of taken it to the stealership they probably would have done the same thing you had done and then charge you for replacing the radio.

sitruc

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have a similar issue, the radio and all functions apper to work just the touchscreen is dark (i.e. no display). Any suggestions?

Curtis

hambymart

TDI
Jetta Sport Wagen Metalic Grey 6 spd manual
2011 Jetta Sportwagen radio issue

I have a sportwagen TDi and today my radio screen went black. Other strange thing is all 10 speakers kept a very rhythmic thump sound. I shut thcar off removed key but sound kept coming thru the speakers! HELP!!!
I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Anyone else have this type of problem?:confused:

supak111

TDI
2006 TDi Jetta
Wow.. this needs to be up in the stickies. I wonder how many ppl had their radio replaced with an aftermarket one because they never found this.

Brandonimus

TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen
I was having this problem yesterday. My radio suddenly turned off and there was a thumping coming from my speakers. It stopped after I disconnected and reconnected the battery, but I still can't get the radio to turn back on. I tried holding the power button (for up to 3 minutes), and it hasn't fixed the problem. I read that a possible solution is to make sure the ground isn't bad, so where would I find the ground for the stereo?

TDfromPgh

TDI
2010 Jetta
My radio went total black screen on me a month ago. It was just a year ago when the display was working and I reset with the power button to get the audio back. This time I did not have the same luck.

I don't know much about checking the ground but I can tell you that the VW stereo issue is widespread. Check out this thread - http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t36009_ds552583?

I can tell you that I found a used Premium 8 from a donor vehicle on www.automotix.net for $145 with a six month warranty but they can be as high as $200. I strongly recommend you get pictures of the stereo first from the salesperson before ordering because they shipped me three of the wrong units first. If the OEM matches - mine was 1K0 035 180AC - and it powers up, you can get the anti-theft code from the dealership by providing them the donor vehicle's VIN and serial number of the radio.

kms12879

TDI
Jetta 2011 Sportwagen
Radio works, but no sound

I just want to say THANK YOU!! My radio display worked but suddenly no sound out of any speakers for anything, including telephone. I turned the car on, and with the radio OFF I held down the power button for about 30 seconds until it powered on. All of a sudden I have sound again.