2010 Jetta TDI Door Locking Issues

tbryant87

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Recently I've been having an issue with my rear left door. When I lock all of the doors in my car that door doesn't lock. Every once and a while it would but 90 % of the time it wouldn't lock. You wouldn't even hear the lock motor operate.

I brought it to the dealer on a Monday and they said that the locking mechanism needed to be replace but they didn't have that part in stock. So they told me to come back on Friday when the part was scheduled to arrive. I bought it back on Friday and the part never arrived. So they overnighted it and I brought it back on Saturday morning. They started right away working on it. I went home and never heard back so I called them before they closed. They said they were almost finished. I went down picked it up and quickly checked to make sure it locked...It did. The lady at the service desk stated that the door latch motor is faulty.

So I drove home and when I got home I decided to check again. When I locked the car I tried to open it...It didn't open but I noticed that the handle felt loose and didn't have as much tension as the other door handles. I then unlocked the door and tried to open the door. It didn't open until I opened the latch 2-3 times. Obviously it still isn't fixed. I wasn't able to call the dealer back because they were closed. I left a message and will try to call back on Monday.

Has anyone every heard of an issue like this before? Any ideas on if I should do anything about the poor service i've received? This is the first car I've purchased and I only have 12,500 miles on it.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It's too bad you have a dealer that doesn't thoroughly test out their repairs. Make them fix it RIGHT! To answer your question, I have not heard of this particular problem before. This is what warranties are for. There will always be some cars with either parts defects or assembly errors. They should have fixed is correctly tje first time - but obviously they didn't. After your warranty is up, I would suggest you find a different place to have your service done.

Good Luck

Don

tbryant87

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the response. Hopefully I will be moving out of Vermont to a bigger city in about a year or so. There aren't many VW dealers in my area or else I would switch. Last time I got a survey via email from the dealer. Hopefully I'll get another one so I can let the service manager know about my issues. If I don't get one I'll make a point of calling him and letting him know about everything.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
door lock issue

tbryant-

My rt rear door had the same problem. It wouldn't unlock after I used the auto unlock. It would happen sporadically and wasn't easy to replicate on demand. I took it in and asked the dealer to check codes for a faulty door. The computer DOES store the faulty door-latch code(s). They ordered the part and did a poor job fixing it. I had to take it back. The door handle would "snap" or "pop" when pulling it open. Not smooth like the others. It would also not close properly (easily) like the others and required more effort to slam shut. After the 2nd fix, the door would close like it did originally, but there's still a little more "snap" in the door handle. :mad: Another member had this same problem with their door lock, so that makes three of us so far.

How @#$% hard is it to replace a door latch so it works properly like the factory install???? It still amazes me that simple repairs get botched. I hate to be on the "bashing dealership" bandwagon, but it's often well deserved. I always ask to receive the online survey about my service experience and always provide them with good, honest, candid feedback.:)

Last edited:

tbryant87

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
tbryant-
My rt rear door had the same problem. It wouldn't unlock after I used the auto unlock. It would happen sporadically and wasn't easy to replicate on demand. I took it in and asked the dealer to check codes for a faulty door. The computer DOES store the faulty door-latch code(s). They ordered the part and did a poor job fixing it. I had to take it back. The door handle would "snap" or "pop" when pulling it open. Not smooth like the others. It would also not close properly (easily) like the others and required more effort to slam shut. After the 2nd fix, the door would close like it did originally, but there's still a little more "snap" in the door handle. :mad: Another member had this same problem with their door lock, so that makes three of us so far.
How @#$% hard is it to replace a door latch so it works properly like the factory install???? It still amazes me that simple repairs get botched. I hate to be on the "bashing dealership" bandwagon, but it's often well deserved. I always ask to receive the online survey about my service experience and always provide them with good, honest, candid feedback.:)
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. My handle is doing the exact thing after they put it back together. When I pull it open the door "pops" but still stays partially engaged to the locking mechanism. When I re-open the handle, the door opens. Sometimes I have to do it a third time.
I said the same thing to the service tech. "It's a door lock and handle, how hard is it to put back together." When I bring it back Monday...for the 4th time I'm going to have them give me a loaner car and request they do whatever it takes and how ever long it takes to get it back to original condition. While it's a small problem I see it as a serious safety issue. If someone needed to get out of my car in an emergency and they couldn't because the door wouldn't open.....
I'll let you know the outcome once it gets fixed.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
My Passenger front door started doing that a couple of months ago. You would unlock it and go to open from the outside and it wouldn't open. I scanned for codes and took by dealership with a printout. Luckily they ordered the latch on my word for it as it was intermittent. When I went back the next week I went and was chatting with the mechanic as he worked and he was showing me all that has to be done. As he was reassembling the latch he had to stop and retry several times as the latch mechanism has lots of little pieces that have to line up perfectly in order for it to work right. He usually does all these as they come in and has the most experience fortunately for me, however he finally had the shop foreman come and help him hold everything in place perfectly so it would line up and he could get it back together. After watching it done, I can understand why it might not be perfect the first time, so take it back and hopefully they will make it right soon... Biggest thing that scared me is that they have to take the door skin off and one false move and it could be scratched, dinged or creased:(

Aria

TDI
2015 Golf
Yes ... I have 09 Jetta TDI with exact problem, took it to dealer they confirm that door Latch is faulty and quote me $640, I don't bother fix it, looking for a cheaper solution :)

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Yes ... I have 09 Jetta TDI with exact problem, took it to dealer they confirm that door Latch is faulty and quote me $640, I don't bother fix it, looking for a cheaper solution :)

many people have had isuues with the lock actuators. Me included. I bought the part, about $100 2 years ago, and replaced myself. took me 3 or 4 hours. find a good independant shop you trust and get a quote.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Door lock actuator/module replaced x 3.
And the door handles do not have the same feel as when they were new. Go figure! It's little $#!t like this that adds one more point to the "don't buy another VW" column.
:mad:

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I have the same issue with my rear right door. I guess I get to fix it since I DO NOT trust my local dealers since they cannot even do an oil change without overfilling it the three times I gave them the chance. They actually had to get the owner sign a contract warranting the turbo for as long as I own the car incase the overfill damaged it...very sad. Techs don't know the difference between quarts and liters.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Anyone have the part number for this? Are the front right and the rear right the same part? German Auto Parts has the right front for $120, dealer here lists for $205 for the latch, eek. I tried to look up on ETKA, but it doesn't show anything for jetta beyond MY2005.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
probably no help to you but my left rear door latch part number from dealer 3B4-839-015-AP. bought Nov 2012. online price $122

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
Keep in mind that when you take the door apart that you have to remove the outside handle. It's attached to a tiny cable that pulls the door latch.

The tiny cable had a serrated plate on one end and it sits against a serrated plate on the door handle. Before you disassemble this door handle make a mark on the serrated plates so that you can get the teeth back into the same grooves as when they came apart. This will ensure that you get a comparable feel to the door latch once it's reassembled.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
So I found a lock mechanism at my local VW used parts place for $50. Sweet!!.Man, the job was way easier to do than the MK4 I had, or I am better at it. But it could easier because its the rear instead of the front. The door handle and skin come off easy, and its really easy to work on everything once the skin is off. I had it apart, and reassembled in about an hour, and she works like a champ!!!

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
So for about the last two years or so I was having the intermittent but usually broken door closed/opened switch. I got an aftermarket replacement actuator but was very busy. I also had the passenger side window switch (on the drivers panel) mostly not working.. I got that class action suit thing on the wiring harness, so I figured I would take it inside since the car made it within 100k (even though average mileage for an 2006 is greater than 125k.)

So I bring the local stealer the actuator and tell them when they have it apart to put in the actuator too if it were needed. I get a call an hour later, after I got swindled into an oil change, too (I was actually very busy a few weeks ago, forgive me)... The "wiring harness was good so they wouldn't fix it under the law suit" but they would put my actuator module in for $271.

Again, forgive me because I sinned and said go ahead. Did I say I have been very busy at work...

Fast forward... Two weeks later, in a parking lot I couldn't get into the car.. The module motor is locking and unlocking but the door will not unlatch from inside and outside. On the inside latch.. It will unlock the door if locked but not open.. The handle seems to do this a half inch further out than the other three..

I think it wasn't put together correctly.. But how in the hell can I or even they get the door open? Anyone have any ideas? Boy I bet I am screwed. I did take apart the old actuator... Bad solder contact on the board just like many Internet sites said... I should have fixed the door myself. No good deed good unpunished.. Especially when dealing with VW. I am done after this one. No sane person designs a lock module like the one on our cars.. Seriously...

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
The door should still open from the inside unless the mechanism is completely broken. It could be the little plastic piece with the ridges is not adjusted properly so that the handle pulls further and never releases the door.

On a side note, I would check the level of your oil as well since dealerships are notorious for overfilling on the 09MY with the oil sold in liters instead of quarts.

djohnston

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Dealer want's about $400 to replace my drivers side rear latch.

Found this from Amazon for $115. But I'm in the middle of a move so my tools aren't readily available. :mad: