2010 Golf TDI connectivity questions - phone and iPod

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Bluetooth and Nav
I looked through the Bluetooth sticky, but I’m still not sure about something. Will a new 2010 Golf TDI have a fully functional bluetooth connection without the Nav (RNS-510) option? I really don’t want Nav, but I want a fully functioning Bluetooth connection for an optimal phone-car connection. The phone will be an HTC Droid Eris from Verizon.

iPod Connection
I also have a question about iPod connectivity and functionality in the 210 Golf TDI. Can you control the song election and playlist on the iPod with the car stereo controls, including the controls on the steering wheel? Does the Nav option and hard drive make any difference with the iPod connection?

I am about to order my new car, so I want to be sure I get Nav if it changes things. I really don't want Nav, but I will order it if it changes functionality in any important way for other things. Based on the options lists at the VW website, it looks like the "Touchscreen Premium VIII AM/FM radio with in-dash 6-disc CD Changer, MP3 format readable, satellite radio compatible, 8 speakers" and "Bluetooth® Hands-Free Call Receiving System" are all standard on the 2010 Golf TDI, so I am hoping for full functionality without the navigation system.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Hi Ksing44,

Welcome and you'll love the new 2010 just as much as your Benz in time.

Firstly, regarding your question around the blue tooth, unfortunately the 2010 Golf & Wagen only come with 9W2 blue tooth which allows receipt of calls only via an overhead interface which is pathetic at best. There is no dial out (except via your phone), no phone book etc. which one would expect from a blue tooth system. There is however a fairly easy fix which is to upgrade to the 9W3 module which gives full functionality. Check out the link below where someone else recently asked the same BT question and I provided detailed info on the installation, parts purchase etc.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=273199

Regarding the iPod control etc. I purchased the MDI option for around $200 which if ordered with the car (can be purchased after delivery at the dealer) goes into the center console and provides a slot to put the iPod/iPhone into while driving. If you opt for the dealer installation the connection is in the glove box. The MDI allows for full control of the music including play list selection and most other features one can find directly on the iPod/iPhone and also charges the device while it's connected.

That being said many have had issues (including myself) with the interface and it's operation. Personally, most of the time my iPhone can only play through one side of my car's speakers so I don't get the music in stereo. Other's have had very slow response between selecting a playlist (for example) and that play list actually beginning to play. So, it works but has some issues.

I have the Nav and absolutely love it. The Nav its self works well and has some great features. I also like the way it centralizes the control of many functions into one place. Once the blue tooth is upgraded to 9W3 module it is also the interface for your phone book, manual dial out etc.

Either way, the car is fantastic and you'll love the ride, features and flexibility that it provides at a good price. Good Luck.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the information about BT. The reality is that I barely use my phone in the car, except to tell my wife I am on my way home. I would also use the phone if I had an issue with my car, but hopefully I won’t have to worry about that for a while with a brand new 2010 Golf TDI. I can probably live with the compromised BT functionality for a while and possibly consider the upgrade at a later date. I just wanted to be sure the navigation option didn’t cure all the issues so that it was really an essential option. It sounds like that is not the case. It sounds like the navigation system really doesn’t change anything.

Regarding the iPod connectivity, it sounds like some of the issues may be caused by trying to manage huge numbers of songs and playlists. Maybe my more simple needs will be met with the standard interface. I don’t have zillions of songs on my iPod. In fact, I may dedicate an older iPod for my car and just populate the thing with a limited number of selections. Here again, it sounds like the navigation system doesn’t change anything, so I don’t have to get it if I don’t care about navigation.

I guess I could also just go for it with the navigation system anyway. I just feel that the portable devices probably work fine if you need one and they are continuously being updated. Like with the hardwired handsfree analogue phone in my 1995 E320, I can imagine that the onboard navigation system might be totally outdated 10 years from now so it might be best to simply avoid the thing.