2010 Golf Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

JLMurphy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT, 2001 Golf 5MT
I replaced the driver's side rear hub and bearing today and thought I'd pass along a couple of thoughts and tips. Not a complete DIY since I forgot to take pictures, but hopefully enough to help people avoid some of the pitfalls I found.

1. There are 2 different hubs for the 2010's and the split is a bit fuzzy. I talked to the guys at idparts.com and we figured that the right one for me was 1T0598611B based on the approximate build date. Turns out we were wrong. For my car, purchased in February of 2010, the right part is 1K0598611. The difference is the inside diameter of the bearing. 1T0598611 is larger than 1K0598611. The guys at idparts had the dimensions, might have been 32mm and 30mm, but I don't recall. I ended up sourcing the part at my local stealership, and they could determine the part based on VIN, but YMMV. Biggest pain is that the 1K version is $50 more than the 1T style. Ouch.

2. The hub and bearing generally come with a new bolt and dust cap, you shouldn't need to order them separately.

3. The actual procedure couldn't be simpler. You'll need a couple of special tools for the job, specifically M14 and M18 triple square bits and a 1/2 breaker bar. You might want a piece of pipe to give extra leverage, the bolt that holds the hub on takes 150ftlb + 1/2 turn, which was a challenge for me at 240lbs. What you won't need is any sort of puller, once you remove the giant bolt holding it on, the bearing slides right off the stub axle.

Here's the procedure:

1. Jack up the car and make sure it's stable. You're going to be putting a lot of torque on the hub mounting bolt and you don't want it falling off the jackstands. Don't put the jackstand under the suspension arm, it's almost impossible to remove the upper caliper bracket bolt if the suspension is compressed. You want the suspension to be fully drooped to be able to reach the bolts.
2. Remove the wheel
3. Remove the caliper. If you're unfamiliar, you'll need a 19mm box end or adjustable wrench to hold the slider while you loosen the caliper mounting bolts (13mm). For the driver's side at least, you'll need to release the parking brake to get the caliper off.
4. Remove the caliper mounting bracket. The bracket is held on with 2 M14 triple square bolts and they are really tight and rusty. A good 1/2 breaker bar is a must here.
5. Remove the brake disc. The screw securing the disc is a T30 Torx.
6. Remove the hub dust cover. A simple flat head screwdriver and a hammer works fine.
7. Remove the hub mounting bolt. This thing is really on there. I managed to get it off using just my 1/2 breaker bar and M18 bit, but you may want to add some extra leverage. I've found that the handle on most of your standard floor jacks makes a handy extension.
8. Slide the hub and bearing off the stub axle.
9. Install the new hub and bearing. Mine slid pretty easily onto the stub axle, you may need a light tap with a rubber mallet to get it on, but I didn't.
10. Install the new hub mounting bolt and tighten to 150ftlb + 1/2 turn. This is where you want to be sure the car is absolutely stable on the jackstand. Perversely, the best thing is to have the jackstand under the suspension arm at this point, since then the suspension is compressed and the weight of the car helps keep everything stable while tightening. I did move the jackstand for this part.
11. Install the dust cover. I used a block of wood and a hammer and it went in fine.
12. Re-install the brake disc, caliper bracket and caliper. I put some anti-seize on the caliper bracket bolts since they were very rusty when I took them off. Made reinstalling them much easier.
13. Re-install the wheel.
14. Road test. Blessed silence from the new bearing compared to the increasingly loud hum from the old one.

The whole job took about an hour, not including the run to the stealership to get the right part.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Jim

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
This was great ! Thanks for the addition to this great forum !

KJT

TDI
2012 wagon
Had to replace mine too, heard some howling from my new 2012. Dealer just replaced it the other day. Watch the mechanics replace it in 20 minutes, i wonder what the dealershipcharge is.

Nice write up.

JLMurphy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT, 2001 Golf 5MT
Why did you have to replace it already? How many miles are on your wagen?
I have 68K on the Golf right now, started making noise a few thousand miles ago. I originally thought it was the tires, which were worn out, but the noise didn't go away when I replaced them. I did some searching and found that it was most likely the bearing. I don't know why it failed so early, I had almost 160K on my '05 Jetta and it was on the original bearings. I drive mostly highway, not a lot of potholes, so I don't think I abused it. I guess it was just an early death on that one. I found some people saying that the life of the rears is hit or miss, at least on older cars, guess the new ones are just as variable.

Jim

strommer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 platinum
I have tried to find a link to replacing the rear hubs on my mark v jetta (06). This is the last of 4 to be replaced and thought I would try it at home as it seems fairly easy with the right tools.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
the mk5's are known for tossing bearings at pretty low miles, looks like they switched up to a bigger bearing in the MY split to hopefully improve the life span.

BTW what's the down side of running a bad bearing for a few 1000 miles? what are the chances it'll completly seize or just get worse and worse causing tire wear?

jeremy1701

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2002 Bettle
I had to replace the bearings on my 02 Beetle. A write up like this got me through the job. Thanks for the detailed instructions! I'm certain it will be helpful to many!

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Hub/Bearing

The hub and bearing is one sealed unit. Does anyone know if you must replace the caliper bracket bolts?

gerrywac

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MkV 1.9 TDI Match 105Hp (UK Model)
No need to replace caliper bolts The VW ELSAWIN electronic manual just has a note clean if re-using and a normal torque setting (ie not torque + say 1/2 turn)

LeHulque

TDI
2012 GTI
I replaced the driver's side rear hub and bearing today and thought I'd pass along a couple of thoughts and tips. Not a complete DIY since I forgot to take pictures, but hopefully enough to help people avoid some of the pitfalls I found.

1. There are 2 different hubs for the 2010's and the split is a bit fuzzy. I talked to the guys at idparts.com and we figured that the right one for me was 1T0598611B based on the approximate build date. Turns out we were wrong. For my car, purchased in February of 2010, the right part is 1K0598611. The difference is the inside diameter of the bearing. 1T0598611 is larger than 1K0598611. The guys at idparts had the dimensions, might have been 32mm and 30mm, but I don't recall. I ended up sourcing the part at my local stealership, and they could determine the part based on VIN, but YMMV. Biggest pain is that the 1K version is $50 more than the 1T style. Ouch.

2. The hub and bearing generally come with a new bolt and dust cap, you shouldn't need to order them separately.

3. The actual procedure couldn't be simpler. You'll need a couple of special tools for the job, specifically M14 and M18 triple square bits and a 1/2 breaker bar. You might want a piece of pipe to give extra leverage, the bolt that holds the hub on takes 150ftlb + 1/2 turn, which was a challenge for me at 240lbs. What you won't need is any sort of puller, once you remove the giant bolt holding it on, the bearing slides right off the stub axle.

Here's the procedure:

1. Jack up the car and make sure it's stable. You're going to be putting a lot of torque on the hub mounting bolt and you don't want it falling off the jackstands. Don't put the jackstand under the suspension arm, it's almost impossible to remove the upper caliper bracket bolt if the suspension is compressed. You want the suspension to be fully drooped to be able to reach the bolts.
2. Remove the wheel
3. Remove the caliper. If you're unfamiliar, you'll need a 19mm box end or adjustable wrench to hold the slider while you loosen the caliper mounting bolts (13mm). For the driver's side at least, you'll need to release the parking brake to get the caliper off.
4. Remove the caliper mounting bracket. The bracket is held on with 2 M14 triple square bolts and they are really tight and rusty. A good 1/2 breaker bar is a must here.
5. Remove the brake disc. The screw securing the disc is a T30 Torx.
6. Remove the hub dust cover. A simple flat head screwdriver and a hammer works fine.
7. Remove the hub mounting bolt. This thing is really on there. I managed to get it off using just my 1/2 breaker bar and M18 bit, but you may want to add some extra leverage. I've found that the handle on most of your standard floor jacks makes a handy extension.
8. Slide the hub and bearing off the stub axle.
9. Install the new hub and bearing. Mine slid pretty easily onto the stub axle, you may need a light tap with a rubber mallet to get it on, but I didn't.
10. Install the new hub mounting bolt and tighten to 150ftlb + 1/2 turn. This is where you want to be sure the car is absolutely stable on the jackstand. Perversely, the best thing is to have the jackstand under the suspension arm at this point, since then the suspension is compressed and the weight of the car helps keep everything stable while tightening. I did move the jackstand for this part.
11. Install the dust cover. I used a block of wood and a hammer and it went in fine.
12. Re-install the brake disc, caliper bracket and caliper. I put some anti-seize on the caliper bracket bolts since they were very rusty when I took them off. Made reinstalling them much easier.
13. Re-install the wheel.
14. Road test. Blessed silence from the new bearing compared to the increasingly loud hum from the old one.

The whole job took about an hour, not including the run to the stealership to get the right part.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Jim

What model number are the bolts and dust cap/where would I find them? Mine did not come with those parts included

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Out of curiousity, what brand your replacement bearing is?
From what I have seen, all brands come with the bolt and the dust cap so wonder what is yours as it's the first time I'm hearing of a bearing for Mk5/Mk6 which came without a bolt and the cap

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
In the midst of this procedure, also rear driver side. Caliper bolts came out with some effort but no problems. The small T30 bolt holding the rotor in place stripped - was soaked in penetrating oil beforehand and the Torx driver tapped in with hammer to get to full depth - but still stripped and with little effort. I have an extractor kit somewhere but thought I may as well ask for suggestions (and go for lunch)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
To late to help you now, but I've used an old school impact driver, the manual hand operated one you rotate the direction you want to go, then whack with a hammer and it rotates the bit as it drives in. Crasftsman was still selling made in USA versions back then.

Worked wonders on an 05 saabs front rotors when changed out back in '12, I didn't even bother trying a sockt wrench combo.