2009+ Tdi's in SSC SCCA Club racing :)

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
since club racing all but banned turbos a few years back i am surprised but delighted. what is the ssc competition?

can you use bio or must you be 100% dino?

regional or national car?

Last edited:

hyperfuels

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
none.....yet ;)
It's a national car, and the competition is stiff:

Cobalt SS
Civic Si (99-00)
Mazda 3
Acura Integra GS-R (99-01
VW Rabbit 2.5L 5 cyl
Focus SVT

So basically...it's going to be an uphill battle...but it will be fun :)

Oh...and I've added more pics to the folder...and a roof cam shot here of the final session in the car at my driver school...it was about 35-40 degrees and misting about 15 min into the video :) Yippie!!! :D

http://vimeo.com/8281834

hyperfuels

TDI
none.....yet ;)
Oh no no :) Just the year end SCCA Runoffs.....IF...I can make it there...then I'll be on there :)

Here's some footage from this year in Sept. 2009
http://www.speedcasttv.com/scca/

go there and look for showroom stock c under the scca runoffs page of races

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
you need to advise what races you will be attending and maybe have a tdi cheerleading group:). i know some are not spectator events but your div must have a spectator race somewhere. alms gt2 ex-lou giglotti car..

Last edited:

VisschusVW

Dave,
How will they wrap their fuel testing around the diesel?
can you use the syndiesel in any SCCA competition? be it road race or autocross, since I know you have done both. or would you rather not say? :D

hyperfuels

TDI
none.....yet ;)
Fuel is tested via the dielectric test. Syndiesel should pass since there is no oxygen in it. :)

Birdman353

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf
I noticed there is a race coming up this weekend. Will you be there, and is it open to spectators?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

VisschusVW said:
Dave,
How will they wrap their fuel testing around the diesel?
can you use the syndiesel in any SCCA competition? be it road race or autocross, since I know you have done both. or would you rather not say? :D
I sent a letter (e-mail) to the Solo Events Board (SEB) to request a change to the rules which specifically allows the use of biodiesel or "any grade of diesel fuel," which technically should include Syndiesel. They've acknowledged receipt. But they have not posted about any discussion just yet. Of course, that does the Club guys no good.

BTW, I also wonder about banning turbocharged cars. I know I can't run my TDI in IT: Turbocharged cars specifically not allowed. Is what you're doing a different type of racing? Or is the clean diesel specifically allowed?

Thanks,

Scott

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
different classes different rules. IT is a version of the prod classes.(in my opinion it should have replaced e,f,g,h prod but no you can just tinker up an IT car to prod rules) showroom stock is just that.....showroom cars. not modified(at least that tech knows). so yes different rules. i too am surprised sccaa llowed a turbo car. they had been against them when i was last a member back in the mid 90's.

more editorializing...........honda/acura must be paying someone off to allow the 99-00 honda and the 99-01 integra. i thought a showroom car had a 5 yr lifespan. one in regional then 4 in natl then gone to IT. hmmmmmmmm. typical scca.

Last edited:

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order
Jack_Berry said:
different classes different rules. IT is a version of the prod classes.(in my opinion it should have replaced e,f,g,h prod but no you can just tinker up an IT car to prod rules) showroom stock is just that.....showroom cars. not modified(at least that tech knows). so yes different rules. i too am surprised sccaa llowed a turbo car. they had been against them when i was last a member back in the mid 90's.

more editorializing...........honda/acura must be paying someone off to allow the 99-00 honda and the 99-01 integra. i thought a showroom car had a 5 yr lifespan. one in regional then 4 in natl then gone to IT. hmmmmmmmm. typical scca.
The 5-year rule has been changed several times. I think it is longer than 10 years now.

The original argument against turbocharged cars in SS was that enforcement of boost to the OEM level was difficult. Turbo systems were too easy to modify to give more boost without visible means of detection by most tech inspectors. That is not necessarily the case now.

VisschusVW

Rules change. Hard to keep up with the latest. The suposed progresion of a car is SS, then on to IT that allows more modifications to suspension, gutting, whatever will fit in the engine computer box. Last I heard in IT they can't police every program in every car, so as long as it fits inside the factory computer box, it's legal. Sucks to have mechanical fuel injection or carbs now. After IT the car gets moved on to the Production classes. Some Prod cars are limited prep and closer to IT cars than other full blown prod cars.

It would be hard to have the SCCA TDI cup car not allowed to run in SS. Ok, so it's not 100% a TDI cup car.

For Solo rule clarification, you can email Doug Gill or call him on the phone. What he says does carry some weight in the tech shed. Need to check the rule on fuel availability and how it gets sold/pumped to the consumer. I have my local prefered fuel mix I run in the FSP 78 Scirocco TD. Doug looked over all my documentation on my build and said " looks like you did your homework. Looks legal to me, but we'll be waiting for the protest." Hate to say personal stuff has kept me from running it and prepping it as much as I want. Not even sure I will make South Ga. in March

Clarify the rulling on the syndiesel legal for Solo and I will be ordering up some.

hyperfuels

TDI
none.....yet ;)
Well it was a pretty good weekend...car ran well both days...but had a couple cars spin in front of me Sunday and cause this accident:

http://www.vimeo.com/8809092

Saturday we were on the pole by almost 4.6 sec. I believe we were the 3rd fastest car in qualifying Saturday (rain all morning) which is a big accomplishment IMO for the car's first race.

Now we gotta get her fixed and running again for the spring :)

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
one thing you may want to remember. used to flag a lot back in my 20's and 30's. there were a couple pontiac sunbird turbos that always out qualified the field. they used to run out to great leads. about lap 15 of 25 the front brakes start going soft. by lap 20 here comes the rest of the field by lap 23 the sunbird is sitting somewhere off track with no fronts left.

not sure what kind of compound you are using but just saying a little judicial use of power early may save a dnf later.

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
Great stuff!! Now the question I have is this.

If the car is rated at 140hp using regular diesel (let's say 40 cetane).
What kind of power do you think it's making using Hyperfuel (rated at 63 cetane)???

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Ooohh... !!! I love this stuff! One of these days I would like to try my hand at racing and completely gut the Jetta. BTW, the STI's driver didn't seem to take the corners as good as you. I saw him following the strips, seemingly unconcerned with apex. He probably could have gotten on the throttle a lot sooner than he did. Great driving on your part though!

LOL... the Miata couldn't hang at 10:56 or so into the video. It was funny hearing his car just fade away... :p

Last edited:

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Subscribed. Nice driving!!! I did some SCCA training at SIR. It was with Dodge Neons, but was still a lot of fun! Great to see your skill turning in and straightening the curves. Good luck in the upcoming season, keep us posted!