2009 tdi rattle from EGR Filter...help a brother out..

TerryE

TDI
tbd
Hi everyone,
Have a 2009 Jetta TDI 6MT with 106,000 miles.

Had the clutch replaced about 20,000 miles ago.

For awhile I have been getting a high pitched rattling sound from the back of the engine/exhaust under the car.

Got under there today. It is the EGR Filter. The bottom of the filter sits on a rounded part. It seems that the accordion portion of the assy acts as a spring and the bottom of the filter rattles on the top of the rounded thing.

Here is a picture. Anyone have this problem. Any advice?

.jpg

[URL="http://s645.photobucket.com/user/seejohnnyrun/media/EGRFilter_zps794777a1.jpg.html"][/URL]

Thanks
Terry

Last edited:

tanker

TDI
2015 GSW TrendLine
When the EGR filter is installed correctly it will not rattle. It is secured by one 10 mm nut which can be reached, but not seen, from the engine compartment. It should not be impacting on anything. Perhaps when the clutch was replaced this nut was not replaced. It is awkward and I drove for 12k km with it undone with no issues.

TerryE

TDI
tbd
Thanks Tanker

I think my EGR Filter must me broken. The can part of the EGR Filter seems to be unwelded from the bottom tube, at the rounded interface allowing them to bang together at a very rapid rate. I am thinking of trying to bailing wire it all together to keep it from vibrating.

Thanks
Terry

TerryE

TDI
tbd
Missing nut

So on the top picture you can see a stud with a nut at the top of the filter itself. Apparently it rattled off and that is causing my noise. Must have been loose from the turbo R/R. i have a 8mm nut on order at local VW shop and the shop that did the job said to bring it in.

Terry

TDIzumSpass

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M
installed missing M8 nut holding top of EGR Filter

I just discovered that the nut at the top of the EGR filter was missing completely. Installed another one that I had laying around in the garage.

WOW was this a major PITA! I think I spent no less than 1 hour putting this 1 NUT one. Of course, you can't see it and have to do it by feel. I lost many layers of skin on the top of my left forearm, and sort of mutilated the insulation above the engine in that area.

The biggest problem was finding a socket/swivel/extension combination that works OK. I think that if you had a short (i.e. cutoff) gear wrench, that might work OK. I ended up using a 3/8 ratchet, long socket bar, swivel, and standard 15 mm socket.

We will drive the car tonight and see if the rattle is gone.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I too was having a rattle, found the LP EGR filter to be the culprit, by poking at it from below, the rattle stopped. With a bit of searching with a mirror from above, and then realizing you can also see the stud from below, I replaced an M8 x 1.25 nut and tightened it with a stubby 13mm box end wrench. Rattle gone, simple fix. I am thinking this has been missing since I had one of the EGT sensors replaced some time ago, as they probably took it out to replace the EGT sensor and forgot to but the nut back on. Grr!