2009 T2 smoking, possible hydro locked engine

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi guys, have an unusual situation. I have a customer with a 2009 T2 that couple of weekends ago had a no-start condition. On the phone he said his coolant was low and wouldn't start. He didn't mention that the engine wouldn't turn over at the time (he just said it wouldn't start) but he got it started and got some coolant and drove it home. It smoked when he drove.

I diagnosed the secondary egr leaking (one in the V of the engine) so told the customer it would be better to do a fully delete accompanied with a malone stage 2 tune for off road purposes as he lives in the country and we don't have testing here.

Fast forward delete was installed , ecu was sent and refreshed, exhaust and hose were installed. Now on start up after 1 hour of running and coolant burnt off in the exhaust.
I took it for a test drive, no power or boost. It smokes intermittently and its noticeable. If you ease into the throttle very gently you can feel the torque build but not driveable.
It idles smoothly at 770 rpm but I did notice the intake runner motors are still actuating though I thought they were supposed to be deleted. It also smokes noticeably on idle.
The engine does not want to rev , takes about 2 seconds to hit the soft limiter in neutral. The engine is not misfiring or stuttering. Just feels like theres next to no fueling.

I don't think the engine bent a rod using the starter motor but I am looking to see if anyone else has an opinion on it? It revs fine , just slow

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
mine bent and snapped a rod with the starter..wouldnt count it out...the v egr cooler cost me an engine

TurboABA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6spd MT, 2014 Touareg Execline
Maybe see if you can get a pressure reading off the two glow plugs that have the sensor on them? I think the CATA uses two of them..... if you see a major difference between those readings, it could potentially mean a hurt engine, and would warrant doing a compression test as next step.

TurboABA

Veteran Member
TDI
Or just skip right to the compression test....
Compression pressures bar
New 28 … 33
Wear limit 21
Difference between cylinders max. 5

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike at malone tuning pointed me in the right direction.
Id left DPF pressure sensor plugged in, also left intake runner flap motor and NOx sensors and temp sensors. Unplugged them all. Smoke on idle cleared up but it still had zero power.

In the end it was down to something simple , the EGT sensor prior turbo wasn't plugged in all the way and readings were pegged at 914 degrees c. Plugged it in , now pulls like a freight train, it's a beast. Customer is a happy camper.
I'm just relieved it wasn't a bent rod, I didn't think it was because it wasn't misfiring or stuttering

TurboABA

Veteran Member
TDI
It should've registered soft codes at the very least pulling fuel due to EGT limit (I think it's 850 stock) unless they jack'd it in the tune.

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, no codes whatsoever. I had to do an output test to ensure it wasn't the turbo actuator playing up. Checked all modules.
100 % reading 914c on channel I think 98 or 99. open circuit it must read higher.
Full derate without any codes and I mean derate.
Well solved the problem with a little help from mike but I thought I'd post it just in cause someone else runs into this issue.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
i also had my pre turbo egt sensor fail no codes at all....lucky i had the exact same thing happen to my 2011 jetta so wasnt tricky to find.