2009 Owners Speak Up!

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I am looking to gauge any current 2009 Jetta TDI owners miles and major repairs up to this point. I am looking to see if people have got well above 300k miles yet? I am flying to Atlanta to pick up an 09 tdi with cr170 and stage 3 tune, with 279k miles, So I am curious as to what current owners have had to do and if the cars are still running good all this time later.

Last edited:

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Is there not a single person on this forum that still owns a 2009? There has to be someone!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

kpgubert

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I do! A little over 230k miles. Besides the clutch (which is a battle I'm still fighting – don't be dumb like me) and CV axles, nothing big. Oh, I think I've finally won the air conditoning RCV battle. Besides that, it's been a great machine.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A lot of them got crushed.

There are not a lot of differences between them and a 2010-14. The CBEA engine has a dual balance shaft in the bottom of the engine (thankfully already gear driven...VAG learned their lesson on that... but sometimes the hex key can round off). The CJAA has no balance shafts. The 2009s have slightly different EGR and DPF pressure sensors and a couple minor plumbing differences on the cooling system, and from the factory the DPF and deNox catalyst are one piece, and if either one need replacement, you have to buy both pieces like the 2010+ already had. The Dieselgate fix already did the update to two pieces.

That's about it. They will last as long as you care to keep them on the road. The A5 is a good platform, they hold up well if cared for. The 2009s have all the same weaknesses the 2010-14 4 cyl CR TDIs have. DPFs, turbochargers, various sensors on the engine, intake manifold, exhaust flap, etc. 95% of those problems go away with some illegal modifications (and fuel economy gets better, too).

I have lots of A5 cars come through here with over 300k miles. Have a BRM car here now getting a new engine harness that is nearly to that. Other than a few scratches and some general dirt, it still looks and drives good.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Only '09 CBEA engine oddity versus CJAAs I can think of is the hex shaft on the oil pump, which can wear, cause lower oil pressure, and sometimes kill the turbo. But I don't know how often that occurs. We used to sell a fair number of the hex shafts, but fewer now. Maybe because there are fewer '09s out there.

oilhammer

TDI
The Audi A3 continued to use the CBEA through 2014, although certainly in fewer numbers than any of the Volkswagen branded models in the same model years.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I still have my 2009 Jetta and it has 253,000 + miles. Other than normal maintenance, I replaced the DMF, 2 door lock mechanisms and recently replaced the rear springs and shocks. The head liner is sagging other than that, it runs and looks great!

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
A lot of them got crushed.
There are not a lot of differences between them and a 2010-14. The CBEA engine has a dual balance shaft in the bottom of the engine (thankfully already gear driven...VAG learned their lesson on that... but sometimes the hex key can round off). The CJAA has no balance shafts. The 2009s have slightly different EGR and DPF pressure sensors and a couple minor plumbing differences on the cooling system, and from the factory the DPF and deNox catalyst are one piece, and if either one need replacement, you have to buy both pieces like the 2010+ already had. The Dieselgate fix already did the update to two pieces.
That's about it. They will last as long as you care to keep them on the road. The A5 is a good platform, they hold up well if cared for. The 2009s have all the same weaknesses the 2010-14 4 cyl CR TDIs have. DPFs, turbochargers, various sensors on the engine, intake manifold, exhaust flap, etc. 95% of those problems go away with some illegal modifications (and fuel economy gets better, too).
I have lots of A5 cars come through here with over 300k miles. Have a BRM car here now getting a new engine harness that is nearly to that. Other than a few scratches and some general dirt, it still looks and drives good.

I just got my 2009 last thursday! 281k Miles. I drove her from Atlanta to Oklahoma City. Averaged 41mpg at 85mph with AC on. I was worried about the hex key oil pump drive but This car hasn't skipped a beat and I have heard that it isn't as big an issue as most make it out to be. Already deleted and big turbo/stage 3 rocketchip car

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I still have my 2009 Jetta and it has 253,000 + miles. Other than normal maintenance, I replaced the DMF, 2 door lock mechanisms and recently replaced the rear springs and shocks. The head liner is sagging other than that, it runs and looks great!

So Good to hear!!!

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Only '09 CBEA engine oddity versus CJAAs I can think of is the hex shaft on the oil pump, which can wear, cause lower oil pressure, and sometimes kill the turbo. But I don't know how often that occurs. We used to sell a fair number of the hex shafts, but fewer now. Maybe because there are fewer '09s out there.

I have read that the hex drive isn't as big a deal as it was made out to be, but then again I don't know. My current one has 281k miles and supposedly on the original hex drive. Just drove it 1000 miles last saturday with no issues

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I do! A little over 230k miles. Besides the clutch (which is a battle I'm still fighting – don't be dumb like me) and CV axles, nothing big. Oh, I think I've finally won the air conditoning RCV battle. Besides that, it's been a great machine.
Fanstastic. I got mine last week. 281k miles and stage 3 cr170 car. drives phenomenally

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I did forget to mentioned that I did replace the oil pump hex shaft at 240,000 miles at the oil change interval. I didn't have any problems with it, just replaced it for the ease of mind. I did notice some wear at the ends..

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I did forget to mentioned that I did replace the oil pump hex shaft at 240,000 miles at the oil change interval. I didn't have any problems with it, just replaced it for the ease of mind. I did notice some wear at the ends..
Did you have any photos of the hex drive when you pulled it out?

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Also was it on its last legs or just slightly worn?

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I heard of the stories of the hex drive wearing out, so I ordered one from idparts.

I was bored at home and the car was due for its 10k oil change, so I decided to replace it...

The hex drive did have some slight wear on the end, but no where as bad as I was lead to believe from the stories.

Hex drive on left has 240K miles; right side is new

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Most of the "wear" occurs in the #2 balance shaft, so by replacing a slightly worn hex shaft you can give it a longer service life. You cannot buy the #2 balance shaft by itself, it is part of the ~$1500 assembly. Some are worse than others. There is no way to know unless you take it out and look. On the transverse applications, it is not at all hard to do, you just have to take the oil pan off (which is easy).

Diesel Larry

TDI
'09 Jetta
My '09 has only 125k miles. It was deodorized about 25k miles ago. I bought it new. Since new, it has 2 new sets of rear pads, a new A/C compressor (warranty), EGR flap thing, a new intake manifold (warranty), a new HPFP (warranty), a new water pump and timing belt, a new head (warranty), a new turbo (warranty), another water pump (warranty), a battery, a new particulate filter (warranty), a intake manifold clean out (warranty), another EGR flap thing (warranty) another battery, new glow plugs and harness (warranty).
If it weren't for a great dealership experiences and the warranty work (mostly "dieselgate") - I would've thrown holy water on it, and watched it catch fire. I bought mine in late '08 (serial number just over 3000).
The headliner is flopping, the dash is getting sticky, the door handle plastic is bubbling, insulation is falling off of the parking light bulb harness, the rubber sleeve around the trunk lid wires is falling apart. One of the two sunroof drains is plugged pretty darn good. After a heavy rain, the trunk lid has water in it. The display on the radio is fading (big oval ring). And now I am trying to figure out, why my battery drains more often than not, to the point to where I can barely get it started (twice it wouldn't so far) in the last several months.
A couple of times, after shutting off, I would hear a loud clicking come from under the car - no idea *** that is.
Sometimes when I lock it, it doesn't beep the horn, but it still locks.
The drains from the cowl area like to clog up easy (should've made the slits by the wipers smaller), and once a year, I have to take off the wheel well liner to get rid of the leaves that made it past the drains.
Now that I have typed all this, and surely have forgotten something, I wonder why I still like the car - but I do.
Would I get another TDI? Probably not. But, like I mentioned above, the dealership has been great, and I will buy another VW from them.
If anybody wants to buy it, make me an offer next year sometime. (Unless 2021 turns out worse than 2020) I have all the receipts...a stack a couple of inches thick.