2009 JSW - AM doesn't get reception out of the blue

skiers

TDI
2009 jetta tdi sportwagen
So I got the car back from the dealer and out of the blue the AM radio is all static. It gets 2 stations now but VERY faintly. Can someone shed some insight into what I need to do? Thanks.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
I've got the same problem, at first I thought it was because I had the antenna off,(carrying paddle board) but the am radio doesn't work even with the antenna in! Am works fine in our Kia??? Not in to the dealer!!

skiers

TDI
Thanks meerschm. That looks like a tough job for my technically inept ass. Isn't the AM antenna on the left side rear window?

The FM reception works fine.

TurbABA...work done was replacing a fuel hose...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
not on the 2009 wagon. the long wire antenna on the roof is the AM. Sat radio in the base, and FM in side window. my AM quit first, then the Sat radio (which I have a lifetime deal on)

they moved it (AM antenna) to a side window in later years, which do not have the long antenna.

as to what to do, you could get used to skipping AM, take it back to the dealer, and ask them what they did to break your radio, and/or be ready to pay for the fix.

it could have just been time. but I always suspect stuff that breaks when fixing something else.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
If you are convinced that it stopped working properly after your dealer visit (check other stations too, not just the one you were used to in case they changed something on their end regarding signal power or something), I would also suggest that you return to the dealer and have them fix it. I fail to see how replacing a fuel hose would interfere with your reception service, but maybe the smashed your antenna or something if they washed your car, etc......

skiers

TDI
not on the 2009 wagon. the long wire antenna on the roof is the AM. Sat radio in the base, and FM in side window. my AM quit first, then the Sat radio (which I have a lifetime deal on)

they moved it (AM antenna) to a side window in later years, which do not have the long antenna.

as to what to do, you could get used to skipping AM, take it back to the dealer, and ask them what they did to break your radio, and/or be ready to pay for the fix.

it could have just been time. but I always suspect stuff that breaks when fixing something else.
thank you for the clarification on which antenna does what function. very helpful.

next question: because my antenna is badly worn with metal exposed at the bottom (a lot), couold it be I just need to replace the antenna piece (the removable / unscrew-able piece) and not have to replace the entire shark fin??

THANK YOU!

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
i have the same issue, AM stopped working and SAT shortly after

i don't use either so i left it like this

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
you could try the antenna whip part first, since it sounds like it needs to be replaced.

You also could buy both parts (needs that little adapter if I recall, to match the wire connector.) and if the external part works, you could return the rest.

Does your sat radio work?

skiers

TDI
well i bought the antenna that you screw in and that didn't work. Guess I need to try the whole piece? i don't pay for sat radio so not sure...

any other insight is appreciated!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my AM went out first, then the sat radio. both work fine with the new base.

I use the AM mostly for traffic alerts where they are offered.

and for some late night DX for old times sake. WJR, CKLW, WBZ, WLW,....

skiers

TDI
Got it...I use AM radio in the morning for high level news and traffic / weather...feel a bit deprived without it...

now...where to find a base without spending too much ca$h!