2009 Jetta headed to the junkyard, where it belongs

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
And the survey says.... ECM is ruined. By what?, I ask the dealer. Water!
I took my car in to have the hood repainted last week. Shop did a great paint job. Color, quality is very good. Car looks new. However, when I went to pick it up, the car wouldn't start. One of two things happened while at the body shop- a) left the car outside with the hood off and it rained, or b) while prepping/cleaning they pressure washed the car and sprayed water into the ECM. I also notices water on top of the fuel filter canister. Dealer sent me picts of the damaged/wet ECM. $1,400 for a new ECM, not to mention I have to have the Malone S2 flash. Add $$ for labor. :(
Talked to the owner of the body shop and he says he will cover the repair. I just hope nothing else happened. Bad/ruined ECM explains the crazy stuff I saw when running VAGCOM just before the tow truck arrived.
Stay tuned.... again.

You might want to contact your tuner and explain the situation. I bet if you send them your bricked ecu and the new one they will flash the new ecu for a minimal charge.

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Well, I did it this last 2 times. And aux worked! First 2 times I didn't, and dealer sucked money out of me. If I find the paperwork I'll scan and link it, showing they had to recode for aux input.

Search the forums, me and the op are not the only ones.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
This is what is so infuriating about the Aux Input thing. The dealer charges to correct a blatant design flaw that doesn't require more than one minute with VCDS to fix. No other manufacturer has a radio that needs to be reprogrammed after disconnecting the battery (that I am aware of).

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
New ECM: $1,400
Re-flash: $150

I could have got a used ECM, but since someone else is footing the bill, new is best and has a warranty. Getting taken care of by a member/vendor on this site who does Malone Tuning. Hope to get the car back up and running soon. I'll take all your prayers and best wishes that my car starts up without any problems!
:D

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
So on what planet does this happen? My BRM had the battery sitting on the work bench for about a month and once reconnected everything (steering ESP etc) re-adapted shortly after.

The idea that you have to not interrupt power to the ECU if disconnecting the battery is an old wives tale. If you tied into something that was hot with the key off, it probably didn't power the ECU anyway.

My 2006 is the same digital CanBus/LinBus technology as your 2009.
OK an old wives tale you say? Well here's my take, not on a tdi, but on a 2006 GLi I did the dsg oil change using the top pour method. To get access I took the battery out. The power was disconnected for maybe an hour. When the battery was replaced something went wrong. The car was in a permanent limp mode and would only rev to around 3k rpm at which point it would shift up. It made driving on motorways a nightmare. I ended up having a remap shop reflash the ecu to fix it at a cost of around £180 so I was not amused by this.

As far as getting a gasser instead of a diesel that's exactly where I am at. Our current Audi has had a DPF delete courtesy of a frustrated previous owner who was sick to death of seeing the engine management light. The Audi runs well, but now it has developed a ticking time bomb from what I can only assume is the turbo. The DMF on this one has help up ok, but our previous 1.9 Bora developed a bad DMF knock at 50K miles which is just not good enough.

The Audi at 100K miles has never been particularly cheap to run. Though it drives well. The exhaust smells oily (though it doesn't use an oil) and I have seen articles where people have linked this to having the DPF removed. Who knows what kind of shenanigans the programmers get up to when they reprogram the ecu.

Its actually quite difficult to find good used gassers in the UK since so many new cars are now diesel, but given the DPF failures, DMF failures and now fuel system failures for me its not worth the marginal gains in fuel economy now. We picked out a nice A3 with a 1.4 turbo gas engine. I doubt it will come close to Audi's claimed mileage, but the near silent tickover and lack of the previously mentioned diesel issues for me makes it a no brainer.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
It is difficult to make anything fool proof and idiot proof since the fools and idiots get smarter every year! Even with the help of new computer technology we will never be able to gain on them since they have the same technology as well.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
lee_taylor, perhaps a 1.4 gasser is right for you. if the majority of your daily forays include short stop-&-go trips diesel economy gains are negated & turbo life can suffer from high temp 'cooking'. as a veteran member, you know the value of occaisional 3000+ rpm 'Italian tunes' on a diesel but remember that a 1.4 gasser will need cool-down time for its turbo too. without sounding like a traitor, I'll never understand top gear's insistence that in the uk to 'always go for the diesel'. daily driving scenarios should dictate looking past mpgs & bin tax category savings otherwise people purchase or inherit costly future diesel related problems wrapped in sheet metal by virtue of their daily routine. as you know, these things(diesels) need to stretch their legs and vigorously breathe a bit to unlock their value!

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
slight detour away from the junkyard... for now

New ECM and Malone "re-flash" and the 'ol 2009 Jetta is back on the road. Back to driving more, and worrying a little too.

Not having a Malone Tuner close by sux. The reliability factor of this car is not what it should be. Having door lock issues again. Three have been replaced and the right-rear is gonna need a third door-lock replacement.
:(

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Did you have to pay for the reflash?

3rd lock replacement, do you have car coded to not auto un/lock?

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with cm11!