2009 CR Repair Thread

I'm WNY PAT

Veteran Member
Seems exceptionally quiet on the "issues" front with the '09 CR vehicles. I can happily say that mine is coming up on 4K miles and not a single squeak, rattle, issue, or anything at all. And let me tell you... I'm pretty anal about my cars. MFD on my most recent tank (roughly 65 / 35 highway and city... average is 39MPH) shows 44.3 MPG. I'm at about 500 miles on this tank now and it still shows 1/4. Couldn't be happier! :D Maybe start an informational thread:

Vehicle: 2009 Sedan
Delivery Date: August 2008
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Options: None
Mileage: 4,000 Miles
Problems to Date: None
Approximate Average MPG: 42-44

Last edited:

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
Delivery Date: October 16 2208
Options: Highline
Mileage: 100 Miles
Problems to Date: Alloy rims are ugly.
Approximate Average MPG: 32-40

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
WNYPat, is it true that you can swap the tip of the exhaust pipe with your finger and it comes out clean?

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
You can literally stick your nose in the Pipe and there is not even a Hint of smell it the exhust pipe while it's idling, Give it a try.

Diclaimer: Don't leave your nose in there, just a sniff and that's it. although it's clean it still has things not good for you in the emissions. I assume no liability for stupidness.

seespotrun

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
At 5000 miles now, going to get my 5000 mile service on tuesday. Haven't had one problem yet. I love this car.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
My experience is identical to WNY Pat's: 4K miles, zero issues, and averaging about 44 MPG. Couldn't be happier; this baby's a keeper.

Now if Da~da~da would just stop trying to buy my steering wheel badge off me. I've taken to making my big ole dog sleep in the driver's seat at night. :D

And, dieseldorf, yes its true: every time I finger my exhaust pipe I come out clean as a whistle :D

I'm WNY PAT

Veteran Member
Dorf: pretty clean but still a small bit of smudge on my index finger... maybe just dust and dirt though. Not like the Rabbit - that's for sure! I used to love dropping that thing into 3rd gear when someone was tailgating me... ahhh. Now, the Benz would smoke it up pretty good too - much more than my A4. The '09 - even at night when I drop it down a couple gears... no visible smoke even in the headlights behind me. Takes some of the old fashioned fun out of it... the cost of progress I guess.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
You know how it is when you buy a make/model of car that's new to you...suddenly you start noticing them everywhere, where you'd never noticed them before? So it is with me and the Jetta TDI - I'd never seen one till I bought mine, now they're everywhere! Mostly those I see are '06s and earlier...and I've learned the secret of how to distinguish an '06 Jetta TDI from an '09: on the '06, there's a black soot stain on the bumper just over the tailpipe!

ca69maro

TDI
2k12 JSW TDI
I love my Diesel

So far this car is great, pulls like a freaking freight train up hills.

Delivery Date: September 2008
Transmission: Auto
Options: Lip Spoiler/Mud Flaps/ Monster Mats
Mileage: 1850 Miles
Problems to Date: Drivers Side Rear Door Weather moulding fell off, Dealer had to get new on and install. 2 trips to dealer/~3 hours
Approximate Average MPG: 40

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I don't know when they did it, but it looks like VW fixed the owl spotting highbeams.

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
09 carefree maintenance...only 3 visits

Windjammer said:
I thought the first service was at 10,000 miles for the new cr.
That's how it looks to me. The 09 warranty booklet says that carefree maintenance for 3 years/36K miles whichever comes first. Then starting on p. 37 are the details for the 10K and 20K service including tire rotation and oil change.

Basically we get three scheduled maintenance visits to your local VW dealership garage.

You could take your car @ 6K and try to cash in on the carefree maintenance, then every 10K after that to 36K. My guess is that you'll pay for the 6K, then you'll be carefree for the next three until 36K. Only because the booket specifically says "Included in the Volkswagen Carefree Maintenance Program" on the 10, 20, & 30K service schedules.

I hadn't noticed this before, and don't remember anyone at the dealership telling me about it....."The Carefree Maintenance Program also includes a courtesy vehicle check. This allows owners to return to the dealership from which they purchased their '09 VW within 90 days or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first, for a full review of the vehicles benefits and features - and to have their vehicle checked at no charge. The Carefree Maintenance Program also includes a courtesy vehicle check. This allows owners to return to the dealership from which they purchased their '09 VW within 90 days or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first, for a full review of the vehicles benefits and features - and to have their vehicle checked at no charge."
from http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/maintenance/en/us/

Any ideas out there on what I should have them walk me through @ my 6K vehicle check? This is my first diesel...so I'm likely to ask alot of questions. Anyone interested in some pictures of the undercarriage or engine bay? (would I look completely stupid taking pictures of my car while they have it on the lift?)

Vehicle: 2009 Reflex Silver Sedan
Delivery Date: August 27, 2008
Transmission: DSG
Options: Monster mats/trip computer...cheapest TDI <$25K on the lot!!
Mods: 35% window tint Madico Advanced Ceramic Window Film AND (thanks to Steve) key fob mod, irritating DRLs disabled, and that chirpy remote locking noise is now gone forever!!
Mileage: 4400 Miles (I never really pay attention to this until it matters....e.g., service intervals)
Problems to Date: Nothing mechanical. Drives like a dream! Small scrape on the front lip. Tiny (but noticeable) rock ding under left headlight. I'm scheduled to get 3M clear bra
Approximate Average MPG: 35-38 range for the first 2K miles, now I'm up to 40

As a contrast, my buddy's Wolfsburg has a service light that comes on every 5K miles. I wonder if the 09 TDIs will do the same.

** Edited again to reflect accurate mileage + Window Tint + Current Calculated Mileage + recent VAG-COM mods **

Last edited:

09tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
none but getting a 09 soon (i relly want a 06 though!)
Vehicle: 2009 VW Jetta TDI
Delivery Date: October 9, 2008
Transmission: DSG
Options:Sport and Protection Kit (lip spoiler, very nice quality trunk liner, and the summer/winter mat kits, also has cargo secure thingy with the blocks)
Mileage: 55 (yes 55 maybe less!)
Problems: None yet, like jaydogg said, drives like a dream, i want to drive it all day!
Average MPG: Not sure, high 20's-low to mid 30's
very torquey!

09tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
Rexking414 said:
You can literally stick your nose in the Pipe and there is not even a Hint of smell it the exhust pipe while it's idling, Give it a try.

Diclaimer: Don't leave your nose in there, just a sniff and that's it. although it's clean it still has things not good for you in the emissions. I assume no liability for stupidness.
plus remember how much heat that dpf puts out when in regen!
i put my hand under it while idling and almost got burned but didnt smell bad at all

09tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
DoctorDawg said:
You know how it is when you buy a make/model of car that's new to you...suddenly you start noticing them everywhere, where you'd never noticed them before? So it is with me and the Jetta TDI - I'd never seen one till I bought mine, now they're everywhere! Mostly those I see are '06s and earlier...and I've learned the secret of how to distinguish an '06 Jetta TDI from an '09: on the '06, there's a black soot stain on the bumper just over the tailpipe!
i saw tons of jettas (06's) non tdis
they had the crummy 2.5 5 cyl!

dpospres

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite 6 speed manual (sold), 2012 Passat TDI SE Sunroof NAV, Night Blue Moonrock (bought back 12/13),2017 Audi A3 Quattro Prestige
Vehicle: 2009 VW Jetta TDI
Delivery Date: September, 2008
Options: Sunroof, Wing Spoiler, Body Side Mouldings, Ipod adapter and Winter Mats (and foglights to be added as soon as they arrive)
Mileage: 1350
Problems: None
Average MPG: 43
Max MPG: 53 on a 50 mile trip between Baltimore and Washington (no traffic)

I have had the car for 3 weeks and so far I love it. The only weak spot is the sound system sucks. I purchased Vag-Com and turned off my DRLs, turned off the seatbelt buzzer and programmed the remote to put the windows down or up and the sunroof down.

wonginator1221

TDI
09 Laser Blue Jetta TDI sedan Manual
Vehicle: 2009 Laser Blue Jetta Sedan
Delivery Date: October 4, 2008
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Options: Sunroof, Mats. and lip spoiler
Mileage: 618
Problems: Some rattling coming from the passenger side door/glove compartment at higher speeds.
Average MPG: 40 ish (500 mile road trip raised the average mpg quite a bit)

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I now have 8,100 miles on my 09 TDI... no rattles or squeaks. My only issues are a trunk light that doesn't work, and an odd door locking situation where when I first start the car and take off, the doors will lock/unlock/lock/unlock and there's an odd ticking (sort of like a relay) under the dash. I plan to schedule service today to get these issues taken care of. Also plan to add the Volk-L wireless bluetooth system as soon as it becomes available. My worst tank has been 42.5 and my best tank at 48.5. LOVE this car!

Wes

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
When you open the door, is there supposed to be a light that shines down from it? (To illuminate puddles etc.) I have a red reflector/lens at the bottom of the door, which I keep forgetting to take off to check. If it's a light, it doesn't work.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My '06 0 content had the lights at the bottom of the door, but they're gone on the '09.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
El Dobro said:
I don't know when they did it, but it looks like VW fixed the owl spotting highbeams.
:D

Do the new lights still have the VW "BAT-CALL" thing in them? I told my wife they were there to signal VW when in need of roadside assist. Just need a cloud and a bit of an incline. Didn't get dinner for a week after that stunt....

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The new headlights still have the emblems. You'd be surprised how many people believe me when I tell them the headlights project big VW's on the road at night.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Wish I could buy just the little cap things and stick them on my A4 Golf. I think hella makes full on replacements in the "A5 look for the A4" but that money would be better spent towards a new VW.
Back on topic: keep the good and bad stories about the 2009's coming!
Picture taken of a black Jetta Sportwagen at the 2008 Canadian International Auto Show by me.

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
I posted this in the Vortex MkV sportwagen thread, but I have a feeling I'll get a better response in here. I have 2 questions about our '09 6 spd wagon- does anyone else notice substantially more brake dust on the rear wheels than the fronts? Sup wit dat? Different pad material perhaps?
Also, does anyone have any seepage around the injectors? With about 2500 miles our #2 & 3 cylinder injector seals are what I would call "damp". the #1 & 4 seals are dry, otherwise I probably wouldn't even have noticed. I can post pics if needed.

seespotrun

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I have noticed the brake dust and it drives me crazy because its impossible to keep the rims even remotely clean after driving. The rear ones are always way worse for me thant he fronts are. I think I read that on the jettas, the rear brakes do way more work than the fronts and you often have to replace them more frequently than the front pads.

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order
Many newer cars come with electronic brake force distribution (EBD). In gentle stops the system uses the rear brakes substantially, even though there is little weight there. Since the stop is gentle, there is no chance of instability that this might cause in a hard stop. The front brakes then wear less and stay cooler. In hard stops EBD transfers most brake force to the front brakes, where most of the weight is, as older front-heavy cars did. New VW's have this system.

If you use the brakes gently, you are likely to see more brake dust on the rear wheels than you are used to because of EBD in action.

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
That is VERY interesting. Where does this re-distribution take place? Is there something built into the ABS pump? I wonder if the rear tires will wear faster, or possibly more evenly compared to the fronts. I guess gone are the days of the proportioning valve attached to the rear axle!
Who's going to be the 1st to do rear pads on a new wagon? I wonder if you still need the funky tool to screw the piston back in the caliper.