2008 Jetta TDI sighted!!! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
If murder and suicide were legal, the inhibition of Darwin's Law would not be a problem, and we wouldn't have laws that give a slap on the wrist to those who have suspended licenses and drive anyway. We could just cull those members of society, rather than have to support them and burden the government.

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
I'd like to see some serious federal tax credits made available to help people remove oil fired furnaces, and replace them with geothermal heat pumps.
Bob_Fout said:
Today's furnaces are 98% efficient...geothermal heat here in IL...where?
Geothermal heat pumps are about 140%-150% efficient. The extra energy comes from the fact that the earth can be a large heat sink and store heat from the A/C in the summer and cold from the winter. The average temp 6'+ down is like 55 degrees F, which is super for AC and a lot better than heating from 10 below zero in January. Both effects make up energy and allow a "virtual" 140%-150% efficiency.

I put one in here in Iowa and figured the payoff would be 9-10 years, and I'd not have to diddle with having propane delivered or a large explosive tank (with no worries about Carbon Monoxide) in my yard. Luckily, natural gas and propane has followed the price of gas and and the payoff is firmly at about 5.5 years now.

So in about 1.5 years, I'm going to be ahead of the curve. It's a techology just like Diesel cars: Efficient and fiscally causal to operate, with only a slight premium. On large lots, horizontal loops are extremely efficient... on smaller ones vertical wells are about 10-15% less efficient. Lakes and ponds are 10-15% more efficient than horizontal loops.

But I digress. Back to topic:

Isn't that '08 Jetta CDI TDI one hot looking car? :D

And 60 MPG highway? I'll believe it when I see it! :D

Fred

jmh5925

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
What I am looking for is Passat Wagon TDI, my wife and I drivine a Jetta TDI, the Passat would be ideal for us. Being retired we are on the road a lot.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
jmh5925 said:
What I am looking for is Passat Wagon TDI, my wife and I drivine a Jetta TDI, the Passat would be ideal for us. Being retired we are on the road a lot.
When you retire, "drivining" a car is very important for the soul!:D

Peterjac177

TDI
06 jetta TDI
fredIA
why not make the whole house geothermal? i built a 3000 sq ft ranch envelope home in 1984. it uses about 100 gallons of lp gas a year.(in 84 that was $64) the air in the envelope is at 52 deg f or higher all winter, for free. i have two horizonal loops under my yard that temper the incoming air to the house envelope. i live in WI but my house thinks it is in Macon GA.(ave. nite time lows of 52 deg f ) all winter.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
justpaddlek1 said:
Tighten it up with some really stiff fines and a 3 strikes and your out rule for major offense with any 12 month period and I would be OK with that. Maybe we should cane the crap out of the repeat offenders.....bet that would make 'em think twice next time.
My home state (Illinois) already has that. Three moving violation convictions with a 12 month period nets you a 3 month suspension, like I had. That makes sure that the rich man and poor man pay alike. The rich man might not think a thing about paying money fines, but that mandatory suspension takes the wind out of his sails after 2 speeding tickets. But my suspension was for 2 moving violations within a 24 month period while under the age of 21 - a little more complicated. BTW - for driving it might work, but "3 strikes and your out" laws are the absolute dumbest thing to happen to the criminal justice system.

justpaddlek1 said:
Severe fines and penalties with real teeth would go a long way....right now its nothing more than a slap on the wrist as evidenced by Mopar and others I know that simply drive through a suspension.
My suspension was for something a little more complicated. Illinois gives drivers licenses to 18-year-olds, no restrictions. If you take driver's ed in high school (or from a private school) you can get a learner's permit starting at 15.5 and get your license at 16 provided you pass driver's ed. I took driver's ed in highschool my sophmore year, and passed with an A. When I got my driver license at the age of 16, across the board it was the rule that three moving violation convictions within a 12 month period got you a 3 month suspension. I was cool with that, never racked up convictions.

Somewhere in between me getting my license in 1996, and the year 1999, the State Legislature passed a law giving Illinois drivers what they call a graduated license. That means there are more restrictions on your license when you first get it - curfew for the under 18 crowd, and limits on how many passengers you can have in the car for the first few months of driving. Also included in that law was the stipulation that 2 moving violation convictions within 24 months while under the age of 21 got you a 3 month suspension. I got snared by that, but didn't know it until it was too late. I got a speeding ticket the summer of 1999 that I pled guilty to because I didn't want to deal with traffic school - was too busy with college. That fall, I got a ticket for making an improper left turn - turned left on a green light, but another driver hit me in the intersection. Since I didn't explicitly have a green arrow, I was at fault. I pled guilty to that too, and didn't go to the traffic school that would have kept the ticket off my record because at the time I didn't have the $25 for the school.

A few months later, I got a letter from the Illinois Secretary of State (head honcho at the DMV) hitting me with that 3 month suspension. Didn't even see it coming because no one at the courthouse told me that I'd be facing a suspension - and yes they are supposed to tell all penalties you face prior to entering a guilty plea. I was inbetween a rock and a hard place. Being above the age of 18, I am considered an adult in Illinois and am expected to have a job to be a nice little taxpayer and not depend on anyone else for support. But as far as the DMV is concerned, I was still in that nebulous age bracket of 16-21 where some adult rules apply but other more strict rules also apply. I had employment, had a car note to pay, and had college classes to attend. My suspension fell across the end of one college semester and into the beginning of another. I'm not going to drop out of an entire year of college (half of it already paid for, with no refund that late in the semester) just to not drive. I kicked around some numbers about my odds of getting caught, and just decided to drive through the suspension instead of up-ending my entire life. I figure that I'm supportive of some restrictions for 16-18 year olds, but not for the 18-21 year olds. Once I hit 18, that's the age that the DMV gives out a license without any driver's ed, so I'm not going to be penalized for being young.

And the worst thing of the whole suspension was the fact that it really was over a matter of the $25 for traffic school. Had I paid and gone to it, my license never would have been suspended. But I didn't know that was coming, and thus I drew the suspension. No matter how anyone twists it on paper, the DMV somehow thinks that I will be a better driver had I gone to the traffic school. The mere act of me sliding that $25 over the counter and the court clerk's office makes me good to drive, but keeping it in my pocket makes me a bad driver? That's the dividing line that is drawn? Puh-leaze.

justpaddlek1 said:
Driving is a priviledge not a right
I think it's a bit of both. Driving is a right in the fact that once I turn 18, I can go to the DMV and get a license. So long as I meet the requirements, no one can deny me a drivers license for any reason not specified in law. There is no person who makes a decision to grant me a license, and I do not have to make a case that I deserve one. It is codified in law that if I pass the written exam and the road exam, I will leave the DMV with a valid drivers license.

Driving is a priviledge in the fact that there can be restrictions placed upon people for the actions that they might take. Hence the traffic laws. So long as I obey the traffic laws (or at least aren't convicted of breaking them) I can keep on driving.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
justpaddlek1 said:
Mopar, so according to you its ok to have a bunch of drivers on the road that don't have the skills or have been convicted of DWI or other offenses? Hogwash pal!
I never said a thing about allowing DWI drivers back on the road. From a previous post of mine, my twin sister was killed by a drunk driver when we were 10. :(

I was talking about adjusting the current cutoff for getting a drivers license. If you adjust it to be more strict, that means you're going to be cutting off a percentage of drivers who previously were given licenses - but now are denied them. They will keep on driving, and getting caught by random traffic stops, and will clog up the courts even more. I'm saying that a move like that will be creating a problem where none currently exists.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
bhtooefr said:
If murder and suicide were legal, the inhibition of Darwin's Law would not be a problem, and we wouldn't have laws that give a slap on the wrist to those who have suspended licenses and drive anyway. We could just cull those members of society, rather than have to support them and burden the government.
The point of driving while my license was suspended was so that society didn't have to support me. I had a job. I paid for my college, and my car note. I didn't ask anyone for a handout because I didn't need one.

Furthermore, do you know who was hurt by my driving while suspended? I'll give you ten guesses, but you're only going to need one.

Not a single person was hurt. No accidents, no one got killed or hurt in any way. Think that driving while suspended is a serious crime? Show me the victim.

Don't throw that "a crime is a crime" BS around either. You speed when you drive, so do 99.99999% of other drivers. Minute variations in the degree of illegality between what I did, and what everyone else does when they break traffic law every single day they drive.

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
bhtooefr said:
Yikes! I guess you know that comments like these qualify you to join fascists anonymous.:rolleyes:

I hope you were just expressing anger from a perception that society is too lax at enforcing important rules, such as DUI offenses.

This thread has gone a bit astray.

TM

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Yes, I believe this thread is coming to the end of its useful life...

Status
Not open for further replies.