2008 Jetta TDI sighted!!! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
I want a 2.0 Golf estate, I want a 2.0 Golf estate!!

But I would take a 2.0 50MPG on the highway almost anything. ;)

Jason

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
TDIMeister said:
Ethanol does NOT have to be made from corn. Hydrogen does NOT have to be made from fossil fuels. The narrow-minded, nearsightedness of some people are absolutely astounding. Look beyond the straw-hole binoculars please. :rolleyes:
I don't think most of us here don't have a problem with ethonal as an alterantive . Our real problem is the fact that the big 3 only seem to be able to build & sell 10 mpg junk . And that really pisses most of us off , me at least .:mad:

If the big 3 would build some of their 50 mpg E-85 burners like they sell in south America for sale here in north America , then I think we all here will rejoice :D .

Until then the E-85 bull is just that , a bull$hit smoke screen to keep americans occupied and let them feel better while keeping them stupid .

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
All I need to know is the MPGs.

I suspect the emissions controls will eat into them... :S

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Summary:

Its not the fuel (E85) thats the problem it the Pig or Sipper that you're putting it into.

Maximizing Fuel Efficiency is the key.

The 2008 Preview is nice. Can't wait for that wagon........

Personally I'm glad that I got the 06 b/c of the fuel changes. Its not going to be until 2010-11 that your realistic chances of getting LSD are eliminated and we all know what LSD will do to the costly emmisions controls on the 2007+ vehicles.

I really curious about the expected MPG Ratings for the 2.0 CRD

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Holy CRAP... 191 currently active users viewing this thread, 166 of them being guests... :eek:

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
I'd strongly consider it - if ....

It has to have similar mileage that my mark IV gets now which is about 44 mpg avg and over 50 on extended highway trips.

Another point to remember about mpg - it seems and it's been documented in these forums - the best mpg's seem to come after about 100k miles is put on the car. When I first got my TDI, it too was on the low side but now I'm seeing bigger #'s.

It could the the Rabbit version will become the mileage champ. If that's the case, I'll buy that one. Almost all of the time all I need to get myself from point A to point B.

saabguru

Veteran Member
maktas said:
I wonder what oil spec they will call out for the common rail TDI!
Most likely the oil will have to meet API CJ-4, which is a low SAPS, (sulphated ash, potassium, sulfur) oil to keep the trap oxidizer clean. Tht's the latest thing I know about, and the main characteristic of VW's 505.01 spec. This results in a lowered TBN, which can decrease the maximum drain interval due to TBN loss/TAN rise.

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
VW bias

It is always interesting to read posts by these VW biased owners that believe there is no better "vehicle" than a diesel based VW.
Some of the "efficiency" obsessed VW worshipers do not want to give a credit to any other auto maker or model other than the VW TDi. Why is that?

I thought the point behind alternative ways of propelling our cars it to find what ever alternate source to eliminate Arab oil from our gas stations supply chain. And ANY auto manufacturer that promotes this strategy should be awarded for its push towards renewable or at least domestically produced fuel.

Why is an E-85 Avalanche or a Tahoe inefficient? You need to look at every car/truck in the context of its purpose.
How efficient would it be to go with my TDI 20 times to a local Home Depot and haul 2 bags of mulch at a time as that is all I can fit in my trunk?

Should I disassemble my boat in 40 pieces so I can tow it 40x back & forth in my super efficient TDi.
Can you load a family of 5 + a dog and travel comfortably across the country?

Fuel consumption is just a fraction of the Total Cost of Ownership. When one adds up every $ spent on a typical TDI maintenance – it is not a cheap deal; especially if you have to take it to a local dealership and pay street price for all your required maintenance.

A little less H2/SUV bashing and VW criticism would be nice to read about in this forum....

Last edited:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Get a trailer, it doesn't need insurance or maintenance and is very low to the ground so it's easier to load and can haul almost as much as the bed of your truck, especialy if you are moving something light but volumous like mulch. My jetta gets about 38 MPG hauling a 1500 pound trailer at 70 MPH with another 4-500 pounds in the car, fwiw.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
euromade said:
It is always interesting to read posts by these VW biased owner that believe there is no better "vehicle" than a diesel based VW.
Some of the "efficiency" obsessed VW worshipers do not want to give a credit to any other auto maker or model other than the VW TDi. Why is that?

I thought the point behind alternative ways of propelling our cars it to find what ever alternate source to eliminate Arab oil from our gas stations supply chain. And ANY auto manufacturer that promotes this strategy should be awarded for its push towards renewable or at least domestically produced fuel.

Why is an E-85 Avalanche or a Tahoe inefficient? You need to look at every car/truck in the context of its purpose.
How efficient would it be to go with my TDI 20 times to a local Home Depot and haul 2 bags of mulch at a time as that is all I can fit in my trunk?

Should I disassemble my boat in 40 pieces so I can tow it 40x back & forth in my super efficient TDi.
Can you load a family of 5 + a dog and travel comfortably across the country?

Fuel consumption is just a fraction of the Total Cost of Ownership. When one adds up every $ spent on a typical TDI maintenance – it is not a cheap deal; especially if you have to take it to a local dealership and pay street price for all your required maintenance.

A little less H2/SUV bashing and VW criticism would be nice to read about in this forum....
There no need to build such enrgy pigs . We can do any job with a diesel power plant under the in the largest of the of the SUVs or pickup truck and still get 30 mpgs . We have had the tech to do this for over 20 years .

So continue to believe the big 3s bull that you must live with the low mpg junk to do your required job . There is hope for some of us , but no one that still believes the bull you are quoting .

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
be curious if you can get closeups of the vin plate, underhood label, and the doorjam labels. too bad the engine cover doesn't accidentally fall off. if 3 tdi'ers each pull off an engine cover bolt

vw may be further along in the 2008 design than we had thought.. MAYBE far enough along that this could be an EARLY 2008 launch? wishful thinking I'm sure...

TXdore

TDI
Dead 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan DSG
drwho said:
If diesel stays too high above gasoline, we can forget about seeing this car or any passenger diesel car here.
I heard recently that one of the reasons diesel remains higher is that the Fall is the busiest time for long haulers, meanwhile gas keeps falling now that the speculation is slowing. A busy Fall for truckers makes sense since it precedes the holidays.

twob4s

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Blue
Diesel limits?

Does anyone know if VW will be limited in the number of 08 TDI's they can import? I hear claims that VW currently is limited in the number of diesels they can import as a percentage of total vehicles. Not sure if this is true and if so, would "clean diesels" be exempt?

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
rotarykid said:
I don't think most of us here don't have a problem with ethonal as an alterantive . Our real problem is the fact that the big 3 only seem to be able to build & sell 10 mpg junk . And that really pisses most of us off , me at least .:mad:

If the big 3 would build some of their 50 mpg E-85 burners like they sell in south America for sale here in north America , then I think we all here will rejoice :D .

Until then the E-85 bull is just that , a bull$hit smoke screen to keep americans occupied and let them feel better while keeping them stupid .
The only thing green about 10mpg vehicles running on E85 is the millions of acres of corn needed to fuel them.

We're already setup to make ethanol from corn, and everybody loves the idea of supporting the American farmer. Politicians love the idea of visiting rural America wearing a blue button down shirt, no tie, sleeves rolled up, visiting the opening of a new corn-to-ethanol plant. Great PR, and gets you the votes.

Standing on a podium and trying to explain to the people how we can get fuel from algae doesn't have the same allure.

Legions of Americans wedged into tiny cars running solely on corn juice is exactly what we need, but is exactly what I think will never happen.

...Unless, Iran has a huge nuclear accident that contaminates the oil supply in the entire Middle East...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
twob4s said:
Does anyone know if VW will be limited in the number of 08 TDI's they can import? I hear claims that VW currently is limited in the number of diesels they can import as a percentage of total vehicles. Not sure if this is true and if so, would "clean diesels" be exempt?
You are refering to Tier II Bin use . I believe in 08 to be 50 state bin 5 must be obtained , bin 8 = 45 state . Current models are bin 10 which disapears in 07 .

Under the current rules you can sell a specified number of lower bin certified cars which allows you to sell more of the higher bin certified cars . But with the highest bins disapearing in 07 I'm not sure about the trading of bins deal in the future .

kpaske

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
euromade said:
I thought the point behind alternative ways of propelling our cars it to find what ever alternate source to eliminate Arab oil from our gas stations supply chain. And ANY auto manufacturer that promotes this strategy should be awarded for its push towards renewable or at least domestically produced fuel...

Why is an E-85 Avalanche or a Tahoe inefficient? You need to look at every car/truck in the context of its purpose. How efficient would it be to go with my TDI 20 times to a local Home Depot and haul 2 bags of mulch at a time as that is all I can fit in my trunk?...

A little less H2/SUV bashing and VW criticism would be nice to read about in this forum.
Getting off foreign energy is priority number one in my mind, but getting off fossil fuels, utilizing efficient technology, and reducing harmful emissions are also part of the long term solution that politicians, businesspeople, and millions of ignorant consumers in this country are trying their darndest to avoid.

E-85 is less efficient than gasoline, 85% of it is still made from fossil fuels, and most vehicles cannot run higher percentages without major modifications. We already have diesel technology that beats the pants off Ethanol, so WHY GO DOWN THIS ROAD AT ALL? There is no evidence that I have seen that makes Ethanol a compelling technology for ANYONE EXCEPT FARMERS AND OIL COMPANIES.

Yeah, it's nice to see a well argued position from the other side, but that's rare on a VW enthusiast site for obvious reasons.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
saabguru said:
Most likely the oil will have to meet API CJ-4, which is a low SAPS, (sulphated ash, potassium, sulfur) oil to keep the trap oxidizer clean. Tht's the latest thing I know about, and the main characteristic of VW's 505.01 spec. This results in a lowered TBN, which can decrease the maximum drain interval due to TBN loss/TAN rise.
I'd put money on them specifying VW507.00 for any VW w/ DPF.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
cptmox said:
...Unless, Iran has a huge nuclear accident that contaminates the oil supply in the entire Middle East...
Actually...

That might be just the Darwinistic mushroom cloud producing energy crisis enema this world needs.

That was my emotional side talking.

The resulting economic crisis that would result would be...bad.

Big M

Thank you

Just wanted to say thank you for taking the pictures and gathering information and then sharing it with this community.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Great news!! I want the rabbit diesel as soon as i can...wonder how long will it be before we start getting them in Canada.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the record time for a post to reach 50 replies? or 2,000 views?

This post might have it - 24 hours.

lawallac

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
The 2.0 CR sounds pretty awesome! Any ideas what kind of power that engine can turn out? Also what will the curb weight be for this car now? With the 140 HP and 240ftlb it's starting to sound more like a performance option as well as economy even as stock, wouldn't this be a first for the Jetta (I consider the v10 Touareg the first here)?
The fuel cell car is still pretty impressive. We just need to find a good way to get the H2. But don't you think the reaction on this site would be pretty wild if they were to bring over the European Focus with the turbo diesel, especially since we will be selling the ULSD now?

socks

TDI
Blue Graphite 2006 Jetta 5sp, 0 pkg
Too good to be true???

I'm a skeptic on this one. I tend to think it's just an 06 in disguise. I hope I'm wrong. From a consumer standpoint I'd like to see estimated mileage figures and pricing. Unfortunately no info on that.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
kpaske said:
E-85 is less efficient than gasoline, 85% of it is still made from fossil fuels, and most vehicles cannot run higher percentages without major modifications.
Um, its not less effecienty. Effeciency is almost exactly the same actually. A vehicle that only runs e85 could actually run higher compression and be more effiecient than a normal gas engine.

I think what you were going for was: E85 has a lower energy content per gallon compared to gas.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
david_594 said:
Um, its not less effecienty. Effeciency is almost exactly the same actually. A vehicle that only runs e85 could actually run higher compression and be more effiecient than a normal gas engine.

I think what you were going for was: E85 has a lower energy content per gallon compared to gas.
I used to think that way, but the higher compression cannot overcome the lesser energy content in ethanol.

A vehicle set up to run only E85 could run something probably like 11 or 12 to 1 compression, which would help, but not fully compensate the loss.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
socks said:
I'm a skeptic on this one. I tend to think it's just an 06 in disguise. I hope I'm wrong. From a consumer standpoint I'd like to see estimated mileage figures and pricing. Unfortunately no info on that.
The bodyshell is an '06, the wheels and xenon headlights are production 2.0T items. For the purpose that this vehicle was intended - demonstration! - it isn't necessary to change anything other than the powertrain; you take the powertrain you are demonstrating and plop it into an existing production vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.