2008 Jetta TDI sighted!!! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8volvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
All right, big news: I personally was in the presence of a 2008-model Jetta TDI this afternoon! It was at the Boston "Altwheels" festival as a clean-diesel demonstrator car, and will be there tomorrow and Saturday as well for any who want to see it in person. The car was beautiful, and seemed to be set up in an unusual way. It had a 6-speed manual, a nav system, leatherette seats, GTI-style projector headlamps, really nice uplevel wheels, and of course the new-generation 2.0L Common Rail TDI, which they said is clean enough for 50-state certification.

I spoke extensively with the VW guys who brought the car there--one was an emissions chief in Michigan named Norbert, with a German accent, and the other was a government-relations honcho based in DC--and they were a little vague on the details, but at least they let me take some pictures. They said the engine has about 140hp and 240lb-ft, and would start out in Jettas but probably end up in at least the Rabbit as well, and maybe more models beyond that. From what I could tell looking at the engine (they wouldn't let me pull the plastic cover off), it has a timing belt arrangement like the old VE-pump cars, with what might be a high-pressure fuel supply/lift pump mounted where the rotary injection pump went on the older motors. Everything else looked like it does on a current-model Jetta PD. The redline looked to be at about 4500 rpm, so basically where it is now. I have to say, this engine was so quiet I literally had trouble believing it was a diesel. It was far quieter than the new Toyota Camry gasser idling next to it, for instance. They said there is extensive exhaust aftertreatment, including catalyst, particle filter, etc, but no urea injection (a good thing, I'd say).

Anyway, these guys seemed really supportive of increased diesel presence in the US, saying that the TDIs had been selling like hotcakes with demand well exceeding supply and prices/profits very high (like that's news to any of us).

Here's what it looked like:

There was also this kind of counterproductive garbage there, of course:

I'll be there tomorrow and Saturday, so if anyone shows up keep an eye out for me. There was also a guy with a '98 Beetle TDI that he'd put an Elsbett conversion into.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
140 hp? Not bad--now get RC on to it along with some nozzles and bump it up to 250 hp or so! :)
-BB

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Glad to see its still the A5 Platform so we get more replacement parts here in the US to improve avail in the future.

Looks like a win-win but did they offer any MPG ratings for the 2.0 CRD?

g-man

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan TDI...to JL2011. Now in a minivan(No choice).
....S W E E E E E E E E T !!!!!

"They said the engine has about 140hp and 240lb-ft...6sp manual"
:eek: :)
I'm waiting for this one :)

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
The VW salesman called the other day as the ordered MY06.5 Jetta TDI has landed at the dealership. Emm?? If I were to hold off buying the 1.9 TDI just now, the reward would be the dynamic's of the 2.0 common rail Jetta....next Fall... What's not to like!

Last edited:

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
TDIMeister said:
Why do you consider the other cars there "garbage"?
beacause the other is a flex fuel monster that probably gets 12mpg gasoline, and 10 if you're actually able to fuel up on ethanol.

Flex fuel is bull****.

The other hydrogen fuel cell, runs on hydrogen fuel cells, right?. How do you produce hydrogen? A chemical reaction. It takes electricity or some sort of energy to produce hydrogen. 75% of our electricity comes from burning of petro fuels, one form or another. If cars ran on fuel cells, the need for electricity would go up and as such more fossile fuel would be burnt.

fuel cells running on hydrogen created from electricity produced by fossile fuel burning are bull****!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
That is a super nice ride, and should have decent pop with that sort of oomph under the hood.

However, I bought a TDI for MPGs.

Taking into account the increased size and weight of the new body style, the larger more powerful engine, and the more restrictive exhaust system, we need to make some guesstimations.

Here's mine: 33 city - 41 highway

And what about price?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
TDIMeister said:
Why do you consider the other cars there "garbage"?
Because I bet that Avalanche can burn through corn ethanol like a fat man through Krispy Kremes, and THAT seems very counterproductive to me. Self sufficiency starts with conservation, and that Avalanche and others like it are an oxymoron. :rolleyes:

Beasts like that make me ashamed to be American.:mad:

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
Super sweet indeed. I must've missed it being rolled about by an hour or two, as I walked through Gov't Center around 4:30 yesterday and nothing was out yet.

On a side new-model note - went to get some parts at North Shore VW in Beverly, MA and got to play with an Eos' roof. Also pretty sweet. Gimme a 6-spd TDI Eos (like I can buy in the UK), and it'd be in the driveway tomorrow.

drwho

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I am going to probably wait until 2009 to get one, IF I can get one. OR I should say if it is available. If diesel stays too high above gasoline, we can forget about seeing this car or any passenger diesel car here. I would wait until 2009 to give time for the bugs to be worked out on this motor. It all sounds good, but it better be more fuel efficient than what we have now. I just hope if we have diesel passenger cars, there will be more choices available.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
I'll swing by VAG HQ this weekend (its on my normal training route) and see if I can spot any others. I'm surprised I haven't seen this yet as most of the new VAG products can been be seen driving in this area.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Ethanol does NOT have to be made from corn. Hydrogen does NOT have to be made from fossil fuels. The narrow-minded, nearsightedness of some people are absolutely astounding. Look beyond the straw-hole binoculars please. :rolleyes:

tkoppe

TDI
None Yet
Looks nice! I'm going to definitely buy a TDI in 2008. But (depending on the sticker price and MPG), I might look for used 05's or 06's with decent miles. Only time will tell.

dieselocity

TDI
2010 JSW Black - 2001 MB E320 Wagon -- Go Wagon or Go Home
But....

TDIMeister said:
Ethanol does NOT have to be made from corn. Hydrogen does NOT have to be made from fossil fuels. The narrow-minded, nearsightedness of some people are absolutely astounding. Look beyond the straw-hole binoculars please. :rolleyes:
Hydrogen doesn't have to be created from fossil fuel generated electricity, but right now you do need electricity. We would only have to build about 50 nuclear power plants to provide a fraction of the hydrogen needed to replace fossil fuels. (Disclaimer... the number 50 was completely made up and is no way backed by any facts. But I bet I'd be close)

I've heard before that if all the gasoline vehicles in the U.S. had an equivalent diesel engine instead. It would make it possible to stop importing oil from Saudi Arabia.

VW JUNKY

Veteran Member
I found somthing on this weekend with this Old House and they were up in the DC area checking out the green houses on display. What caught my eye and thought was really cool was a University that had a solar house and that the extra solar electricty went to a little building out back and it was used to make hydrogen from water. Then the hydrogen was used in a fuel cell which the byproduct was water which went back to making hydrogen! Way cool Kid of eliminated the need for battery during the night time when the sun was gone. Of course if you could make just a little more hydrogen maybe you could use it in your car?
Still waiting on my Diesel mini van! Where are you?!
later,

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
Oh man, if they put that new diesel in a Rabbit or Beetle Im gonna start saving my pennies now! Id like to hear that car, Im interested in the quietness, though I think I would miss the diesel sound.

No matter where the ethanol comes from thats still a huge vehicle to be wasting it with, therefore considered garbage. Maybe 5% of the people these days use a truck for what its intended. A real truck you can clean inside and out with a hose. I like the focus OTOH, hydrogen can be made from solar electricity and its in a reasonable sized vehicle, perfect for what most people would use a vehicle for.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
Thanks for sharing v8volvo, this is very exciting news! I'm interested to learn what the mileage is on the common rail. Did you ask them about the biodiesel rating? 6-speed manual would be nice to have. Good news for our buddy ChrisF @ Langhorne.

Last edited:

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
jw, when is the next design make-over for the Jetta due. How many years are expected out of this body style?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
is it possible this is 2006 USA car in disguise? Is that a CRD engine? Can we get a better view of that underhood label if somebody else goes down there today? :)

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
TDIMeister said:
AFAIK the cheapest way to make hydrogen is by breaking down methane/natural gas to get H2 and CO2 as end products. By runing a car on this fuel there is no net savings of GHG production, what's the point? Besides do we really need another significant demand on our already highly demended natural gas supplies?

Ethanol can be made from all sorts of stuff, but it will always have a poor energy balance, so um, it sucks or something, and stuff.

Although you do know far more about car/engines than I will ever forget, what is it that you see beyond your straw hole binoculars?

My jetta has significantly more power than that 08' :) I can drive it to california too :cool: A six speed would be sweet.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
If diesel stays too high above gasoline, we can forget about seeing this car or any passenger diesel car here.
\
FWIW, the last time I filled up a couple of days ago, diesel was 4 cents a gallon above reg unleaded gas price per gallon. At times during the summer diesel was cheaper. So, let's not start looking at that price bump as some permanent "strike" against diesel in the diesel v. gassers debate. Relevant, but, hopefully a short term anomoly for it to be that much higher.

And as to the news posted, I find that exciting. First, exciting that it looks like they have it firmly in the works, second, it looks like it ought to be a great car to have with that 140 horses. Woo-whoo!

I'd trade my '06 Explorer in on one today if they were for sale (at a decent enough price, of course).

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Well, if they could make H2 using some 90% efficent process, and then use a fuel cell at 90% efficency, it'd be 81% efficent overall, a far site better than the peak efficency of what, 30 to 40% for diesel. Mind you, efficency drops as loading drops for the diesel--but I suspect that the fuel cell stays more efficent at low loads.

BUT, making H2 isn't near 90% efficent. That's the rub. You're right, current technology just moves the pollution around a bit. On one hand, that may mean less polution, as the power plant can use bigger and better pollution reduction methods. OTOH, it doesn't reduce our need for energy, it just helps some sleep better at night.

And for those of us here on TDIclub in the know about these things, we'd rather stay up all night debating this anyhow. :)

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Guys you have no idea what it takes to TOW something. It takes a big engine like in the Avalanche and more over like the diesel in my Excursion.
You can't tow unless you have power. And yes we do have to use our Excursion when not towing occasionally...........imagine that happening.

What ever happened to the "diverse" culture we have. Oh, that's right "diverse" only goes one direction, right?.............................

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
You know, it's funny, on my way to work this morning I was thinking about the Mark V Jetta and its power. I test drove an 06 TDI, and Car&Driver's right on this one: it's built like a bridge abutment. That said, it's also bigger and heavier than my Mark IV, and could really use the 2.0 (not point slow). Time to starting coveting, scheming and drooling...

Status
Not open for further replies.