2007 Hyundai Accent CRDI owner

EAC1

TDI
HYUNDAI ACCENT CRDI DIESEL VGT TURBO COMMON RAIL
Hyundai Accent CRDI owner

Hi, i live in Costa Rica, Central America. I have an Accent CRDI, It has a 1.5L engine, DOHC 16 valves, Bosch second gen. Common Rail. Honeywell Garret VGT turbo, Variable Swirl Electronic Control, 110 HP@4000 RPM and 173 lb-ft@ 1900-2750RPM.

Fuel Economy: City: 36.35MPG
Highway: 50.27 MPG
Best fuel economy obtained : 63.85 MPG (Not too many climbs in that place)

Sorry if there's any english mistake.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cool! Got any pictures of under the hood? Those are built of unobtainium for us in 'The Land of the Free' :rolleyes: .

I have a 2003 Accent, 1.5L DOHC gas engine of course, and it is a great little car. Be MUCH better with a diesel though. :)

EAC1

TDI
Sorry, i don't have them. I'm gonna take some pictures, but honestly, i don't know how to upload them in the forum. Your car is a very good car, because our roads are not in good contition and neverthereless, they work very well. Here too many people use it for taxi, and they drive for about 250 miles in stop and go traffic each day.

Last edited:

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
EAC1 said:
Hi, i live in Costa Rica, Central America. I have an Accent CRDI, It has a 1.5L engine, DOHC 16 valves, Bosch second gen. Common Rail. Honeywell Garret VGT turbo, Variable Swirl Electronic Control, 110 HP@4000 RPM and 173 lb-ft@ 1900-2750RPM.

Fuel Economy: City: 36.35MPG
Highway: 50.27 MPG
Best fuel economy obtained : 63.85 MPG (Not too many climbs in that place)

Sorry if there's any english mistake.
:eek: Wow. Are those US gallons or imperial gallons, out of curiousity?

I'm with Hammer, pics (or it didn't happen. ;))!

EAC1

TDI
I don't have pictures of that moment, i will take some pictures of the engine. I know that this is incredible at this time, but i don't have a digital camera. They are US gallons.

EAC1

TDI
Now i know how to upload photos. I will get the camera, maybe at night.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
We have two Hyundai's in the family, a 2005 XG 350 (wife's) and our spare car (yeah, we have one), a 2004 Elantra GLS. Both run like a top and have 85K and 101K miles on them, respectively. Both gasoline, however..:(

Please do upload the pictures of your Accent.

Thanks,

Tony

EAC1

TDI
XG 350 fuel economy

aja8888 said:
We have two Hyundai's in the family, a 2005 XG 350 (wife's) and our spare car (yeah, we have one), a 2004 Elantra GLS. Both run like a top and have 85K and 101K miles on them, respectively. Both gasoline, however..:(

Please do upload the pictures of your Accent.

Thanks,

Tony
Which is the fuel economy of the XG 350? do you know it?

My other car is a 1988 Chevy Monte Carlo LS, but i have a problem with the transmission, so it isn't in use.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
EAC1 said:
Which is the fuel economy of the XG 350? do you know it?

My other car is a 1988 Chevy Monte Carlo LS, but i have a problem with the transmission, so it isn't in use.
Yes, the XG 350 is a 2.7 L V6 and we get around 18 MPG overall (mostly city/some highway) and on a trip (80% highway) we get around 25 MPG. With the A/C on, maybe a little less.

The Elantra (Mitsubishi 4 cyl) gets 28 MPG overall and I have gotten 35 MPG on the highway.

tony

EAC1

TDI
Yes, there was a 3-cylinder Detroit Diesel engine. It was with the BOSCH first gen common rail, 12 valve SOHC, Waste-gate turbo, 82HP and and it was in the 140's lb-ft of torque. It had timing belt, the ("new", because it was develope 3 years ago) 4 cylinder engine has timing chain.

oilhammer

TDI
Bleh, you lost me at 'chain' :rolleyes:

Thanks, but no thanks. Major engine surgery before 200k miles is not my thing. I just rid myself of a chain on one car. :cool:

EAC1

TDI
oilhammer said:
Bleh, you lost me at 'chain' :rolleyes:

Thanks, but no thanks. Major engine surgery before 200k miles is not my thing. I just rid myself of a chain on one car. :cool:
Well, i prefer the chain, because the timing belt has to be changed every 43750 milesfor diesel and 37500miles for gasoline engines here in Costa Rica, because the severe operation conditions. And it cost you like $250, so for me, chain is the one.

Last edited:

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
I have never heard of a Hyundai diesel much less a Hyundai Accent Diesel. Pics under the hood would be appreciated when you get that camera.

oilhammer

TDI
EAC1 said:
Well, i prefer the chain, because the timing belt has to be changed every 43750 milesfor diesel and 37500miles for gasoline engines here in Costa Rica, because the severe operation conditions. And it cost you like $250, so for me, chain is the one.
Yep, price how much the chain is to replace. :p

Contrary to what so many people think, they are hardly a 'lifetime' item. :rolleyes:

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
EAC1 said:
I have an Accent CRDI... 110 HP@4000 RPM and 173 lb-ft@ 1900-2750RPM
You lucky bastard! :mad: That's more horsepower (and way more torque) than my 1.6L gasser! Oh, how I wish I could get one of those here (or rather, wish I could have gotten one in 2003, so that I'd have the diesel engine and the independent rear suspension, which they removed in favor of a torsion beam for the MC chassis).
oilhammer said:
I have a 2003 Accent, 1.5L DOHC gas engine of course, and it is a great little car. Be MUCH better with a diesel though. :)
Surely you mean 1.6L; the Accents quit coming with a 1.5 in 2002 (or maybe earlier), unless you got it from Canada. Or maybe yours is actually a leftover 2002 (LC rather than LC2 chassis code) model?

oilhammer

TDI
It probably is a 1.6L then. They just had that one engine. It is the 3 door hatch, with the 4 speed slushbox. Good little car, not a hint of any troubles. So far it has needed routine scheduled PM, a battery, a set of brake pads, a set of tires, and both headlight bulbs.

My in-laws drive it, almost all city. Probably the only Accent that gets Mobil 5w30 synthetic oil every 5k miles (so short due to so much city use... 6 years old and only has 45k miles!).

I think I might do the t-belt soon, as the accessory belts are getting some heavy dry rot, and from my experience all the Korean cars' timing belts are not very forgiving. Luckily it is a super easy one, and OE HMC parts are pretty reasonable.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
On topic of chains vs belts; yes a chain is a wear item but it seems the average lifespan is 200k miles vs 100k miles... even if it costs 30% more to replace I get twice the life. Or am I missing something?

My only experience with chain motors is the VR6; which seems to be capable of 225-250k on a set of chains before "needing" repair... but these were the FIRST of many to come "lifetime" / "no service" items that VW lied to the buyers about...

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
This is in a way an incredible thread. Costa Rican guy making us drool over diesel technology available in his country. Who will it be next, an Ethiopian, a Vietnamese or an Aborigine?

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
eddie_1 said:
This is in a way an incredible thread. Costa Rican guy making us drool over diesel technology available in his country. Who will it be next, an Ethiopian, a Vietnamese or an Aborigine?
I'm going to have to guess not an aborigine, since that term just refers to native people anywhere, not any country in particular.

Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
I would argue there is a difference colloquially between aborigines and aboriginal people. When was the last time you heard native americans called aborigines? If you didn't know I was referring to Australia then welcome to the club.

EAC1

TDI
eddie_1 said:
Actually, all of the countries of Latin America has this technology and most asian countries has it. In Japan it was since 1995 or 94, (i'm not sure), but i´m sure that it was Hino trucks the first one that used it. We use all the diesel tech, because we don't have too much emissions regulations for diesel engines. We don't use just the Common rail tech, we use too the mechanical and electronic injection pumps in many cars. Most of our cars are of an average of 2L engines because we prefer fuel economy. Actually, the biggest gasoline engine that i have seen here and just once, was a Vortec 8.1L in a Suburban of the US Embassy, ,and i saw it because a friend was working on it, because it had a problem in it's 4WD system. Last week, an Indian company began to sale electric cars in Costa Rica. It´s name is REVA, it´s not the best technology because it uses lead acid batteries, but it works, and Mitsubishi bring the electric car, the same that is sold right now in Japan, here to show it, because they will begin to sell it here in 2011. The advantage with electric cars for us, is that our eletricity generation is in a 92% to 98% (depends of weather) from renewable sources. Other thing that is being developed here is the Plasma engine.

Last edited:

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Hyundai has a large market throughout the Carribean, the use of the diesel minivans wirh manual transmissions are common.