2006TDI into a 2007 Jetta 2.0

beranpeter

TDI
jetta
Will it work? Can it be done?
I am willing to pay for help with this. What do you think would be a fair price with or without a doner car?
I live in MA.
I already own the 2007 Jetta and I want to convert it to TDI.
Thanks All
Beran

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Seems pretty silly... Sell the '07 and buy an '06, even an '09 would probably be more cost friendly.

beranpeter

TDI
jetta
GLI options

well the GLI has really nice options... interior, exterior, and suspension.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I think you're going to run into real issues with trying to put an older engine into a newer vehicle.

You'd be better off to get a TDI and then add the GLI trim package items to it; seriously we're talking a lower valance, springs, wheels, a spoiler and that's about it. The interior isn't special to the GLI (real leather? maby?) its just some minor, and I mean minor, tweaks to the exterior and suspension.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Awful lot of work. I too would simply sell the gas car and find a diesel and put whatever blingy bolt-on GLI stuff on it you like.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
It's just about all been said. But, really...if you're going to do a MK5 to MK5 swap, put the TDI in a MK5 Rabbit and really have something unique :)

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
quadcomm said:
I think there was a genuine MK3 Harlequin with a TDI swap a few years ago.. I can't really remember though. Have you heard of it?
I haven't....but I also haven't been looking. :eek:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Everybody here has made great points. This thread should be stickied.

beranpeter

TDI
jetta
Thank you all

Thank you all for the responses.
The interior is real leather and nicer.....
I have my GLI for sale... will look for a TDI when I sell it.
Thanks again,
Beran

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
kcfoxie said:
I think you're going to run into real issues with trying to put an older engine into a newer vehicle.

You'd be better off to get a TDI and then add the GLI trim package items to it; seriously we're talking a lower valance, springs, wheels, a spoiler and that's about it. The interior isn't special to the GLI (real leather? maby?) its just some minor, and I mean minor, tweaks to the exterior and suspension.
Agreed the most GLI stuff can be retrofitted into the TDI. And retrofitting the TDI into the gasser would be a pain to do and get registered.

But just to nitpick ...;) GLI seats are much different from the Jetta TDI seats. Not just the real leather material but they are sport seats more like recaros than the just ok TDI seats. That plus HID auto leveling headlights, sport leather MFSW, GLI MFA+ cluster, shocks, struts and springs (all different), and then the wheels and other exterior and trim stuff you mentioned.

To the OP: GLIs are being sold for cheap now, but then so are A5 TDIs. Good luck with your sale/purchase.

ensanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 1999.5, black
You must have a different definition of cheap than I do, but trust me it is not worth it if you can sell the GLI. I am 80% done on an a4 to a4 tdi swap and if the engine was not blown in my jetta I would NEVER have taken the time, energy, or money to do what I am doing.