2006 Trunk not closing

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
My 06 trunk is not closing, have to slam several times before it locks in. I greased the locking mechanism, but it hasn't helped. Could it be one of the arms that opens them is not compressing enough?

Rockcrawler

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta, 03 Ram, 01 IH 8100 with 10.8 Cummins
I don't think it has anything to do with the strut. My new to me 06 (bought in jan) does the same thing. I've not looked into it yet as i'm not in the trunk that often/problem seems intermittent. first thing to do is get some penetrating oil on the mechanism etc and maybe test it with a similar sized "bar" like a number two phillips. Maybe I'll monkey with it this weekend.... but I've already got wrench projects on the boat and race Jeep:)

Jettaneeds

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan, 2009 Jetta Sportwagon
Latch from hell

Mine just stopped working tonight...arrrrhhhhh. I just picked up the car in FL, made it all of the way to Madison, WI and began having trunk issues. I tweaked the latch and still not better so tonight it comes apart. Thanks for all the tips on the repair. Eat WI cheese and drink good beer!

Jettaneeds

TDI
Trunk

Hey, thanks for the welcome. I gave my '04 Sedan to our daughter and picked up an '06 sedan for my daily driver. Both manuals. My wife and I have a 5 year old home in Sebring that we just rented to a Dr and her husband. We were down there last week moving our furniture and stuff to a climate storage facility. We are renting for a year since dad died a year ago and we don't get down there like we should. Always there for the 12 hour race and some vintage stuff at the track. We tired to get some rooms for the race next March and can't find much closer than 50 miles! Realtor might find me a condo for the four of us for that weekend. I really play with Bosses and Shelbys but have become very fond of my Jettas. We flew into Orlando late and stayed at the airport. Picked up the car, moved the home, and headed back to WI. Car has a couple of issues, but nothing I can't fix (hopefully).I pulled the trunk mechanism and have it apart. If I take some pictures, would someone be able to post them for all to see? It looks as though the spring on the gear shaft slides over the stop, making it too short to retract the rotating arm the allows the trunk to latch. The other posts I read were dead on! I may squeeze the one end of the spring to keep it from sliding over the stop or add a half washer to the shaft to limit the springs travel. I belong to the Boss 302 Registry and that as well as this is a great site and help to owners! Eat WI cheese!

kjmiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
You're very lucky you are in Madison. If you have any Jetta issues you can go right to JasonTDI here on the boards. Very lucky...

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
I think I posted a short post on how to fix this. Basically, the latch mechanism doesn't go bad, it's just VW used grease that gets really hard and sticky with age. I fixed mine a year or so ago in the winter. You take the liner out of the trunk and then you can get to the latch mechanism. Taking the latch mechanism isn't really described in the manual, as it's meant to just be replaced. But, you can pry it open slowly. When you get it open, clean out all of the old grease and spray in some thin silicone grease (the stuff that comes in the spray can is what I used) and it shoudl work great again. Like I said, it's been a while and I can't remember the detail of the repair. It should be pretty simple to do.

Hurst

Crosley

TDI
Sold
the return spring that resets the internals in my latch collapsed some. I repositioned the spring after removal and opening the latch mechanism .

It now latches great and when the fob button is pushed , you hear a click as the internals return to position

Jettaneeds

TDI
OK, the fix took about a hour. I have quite a few pictures and can write a fix on this with help posting the pics. I make tombstones for a living so I'm kinda still in the stone age when it comes to computers. This is a super easy fix. There was no grease on mine and I left it that way because the grease will collect dust and actually make it harder to rotate the gear on the spiral shaft. What happens is that the spring that should rotate the spiral out of the way allowing the latch to latch slides over its stop, making the spring too short. The fast fix is to crimp the end of the spring down a bit so it can't slide over it's stop. Wallah! Everything works and I actually couldn't stop playing with it. If you're in Madison area and have this problem, look me up. I work for a good micro brew or two! The longest part of this fix was putting my glasses on my head, back to eyes, back to head, many, many times. I know Jason and he has just replaced my clutch, 24 hours ago. Great guy! I need an air filter box for my car.