2006 sticking Jetta brakes, where to start?

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I added a return spring to my brake pedal. It goes from the pedal arm to a screw for the lower dash panel. Put it on with a zip tie so I could adjust the tension to "just enough" to make the pedal return reliably.

favors_poppa

TDI
2006 Jetta
Same issue with my 06 BRM Jetta so it seems to be a somewhat common issue. My issue seems to come and go at times. If is stop at a red light and the light turns green, car take a second or so to move unless I pull up on the brake pedal. I have read in some places where the pedal assembly gets worn at the pivot and sticks.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Same issue with my 06 BRM Jetta so it seems to be a somewhat common issue. My issue seems to come and go at times. If is stop at a red light and the light turns green, car take a second or so to move unless I pull up on the brake pedal. I have read in some places where the pedal assembly gets worn at the pivot and sticks.
I think it highly unlikely that the pedal assembly was sticking in my case, and that proved to be true when I removed the first booster and found the pedal to move quite freely. IDparts had told me that boosters going bad was rare, but that was not my case. The car has been working perfectly since I finally gave up and had the dealer repair it, in which case he replaced the booster with an OEM one instead of the reman one that I had used that they found to be defective. There is apparently no easy way to test a brake booster that is not installed in a car.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
The seal for the parking brake pivot in the rear calipers is a known trouble point. Check that the arm returns to the stop when the parking brake releases. If not, try penetrating oil on the seal.