2006 no run issue

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
This Jetta was running great, until this morning.
Just read thru cochrank's posts and my 2006 (167,000) has some of the same issues but some different, so I thought I would put this
on a separate thread.
Just this week when starting the car, it would start and run but I would hear a noise for a few seconds after start that sounded like
the starter bendix was still engaged, lasting for 4-5 seconds. (installed new starter around 130,00)
This morning, the car would start and shut off after 3 or so seconds.
Now after a few attempts, it will turn over but not start.
I hooked up my Autel scan gauge and it would load to 98% and then say link failed. Did this numerous times.
Also when the key is in ignition and turned to the on position, after 10 or so seconds the cooling fans would come on at full speed. (this is with a cold engine).
I can not hear any relays clicking.
Ideas on where to start?

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
I'd start with a proper scan tool. Check the battery/connections, too.
Not being smart, but what is a "proper" scan tool? I have used the Autel on several cars including this one, over the last two years with no
issues until now. I will check the battery connections now. Starting to get some of the hurricane effects here as it moves inland.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Something that speaks fluent Volkswagen. We have an Autel here at the shop, and it is a joke compared to something like VCDS, although it does have a few "back door" things that ross-tech won't let VCDS do, but that is mostly related to SKC stuff, and you have to specifically know where/how/what to do with it, as there is not any tech help.

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
I'm looking into renting a VCDS but have some doubts about the communication network on the car or the lack of it, maybe bad
relay/wiring or? If it is a sudden wiring issue, would any type of scan guage be able to communicate with the ECM?
I made sure the Autel was updated and tried it again with the same results, (link error at 98%). Hooked it up to
my 98 4runner with no problems.
The question in my mind is why when the key is turned to the on position, after 12 seconds the cooling fans come on and
turn up to full blast. AC is off. Never happened before when using the scan gauge.
(we made it thru the hurricane with just some wind gusts, no rain as we were on the east side of the cone)

oilhammer

TDI
1998 Toyota uses a different communications protocol through the DLC. That may not be related, though. Have you checked the battery and connections? Fuses?

Do all the lights in the cluster that you would expect to come on when you turn the key on actually come on? Should be a bunch...

It sounds like a bad connection at either one of the two battery cables, one of the fuse links, or the underhood fuse box main bus bar, or a main ground, from your description.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I would definitely check your grounds I think the fans running all the time means that it can’t communicate with the ECM so it does sound like the ECM is bad or not grounded or powered correctly.

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
How do you access the ecm on this model?
Also notice you are on the 3rd camshaft. I'm guessing I will have to change this one out before long as well as the clutch.

oilhammer

TDI
Alright, so the MIL for the engine is not on in your pic. Your ECU is likely not powering up. This is why you need a proper scan tool, to talk to all the other modules, so that you can at least narrow down the problem. On that car, even if you unplugged the engine ECU, you should still be able to communicate with every other module on the car.

The ECU is located in the cowl, right in the middle, in the same area the wiper motor is. It is possible that the harness to it is damaged by water or rodents.

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Thanks, I found the ECU removable procedure in the VW maintenance manual. I was just about to pull the wiper arms when I had to go to my office and while there check the forum.
I did find a youtube video concerning a 2007 Jetta (gas) no start issue and viewed it. That is the exact same issue I have with this one.
I'll get a VCDS scan tool coming so I can run it.

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
I ordered a Ross Tech VCDS scanner cable and will use my laptop with their program.
Checked into renting one but being as I am going to keep the car (wife loves it and drives it most of the time) and know I will be
changing the clutch and cam in the future, decided just to buy the scanner.
I have the ECU out, was going to send it for checking but will now wait until I can do a scan with the Ross Tech VCDS.
Also didn't find any damaged wires or rodent sign.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Well my guess then is the ECM took a dump. I do have a couple that I would sell, if you’re interested PM me.

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Mine has started this intermittent no start issue and has been intermittent. just my opinion but its not a fault of ECM

When it happens repeatedly turning key off then on repeatedly 10-20 times then cranking usually gets the engine started then all is fine.
I assumed it was a Lift fuel pump in the fuel tank (check valve not holding) so I replaced the intank fuel pump and it still did it again.
Their is also another fuel check valve at the engine that could cause same issue haven't messed with it yet.

I have now ordered an engine fuel pump/vacuum pump combo I hope that fixes the Hi way cruising stutter/shudder and the occasional hard start issue. In my case The two problems may have nothing to do with each other? but then again its a dam VW who knows?

I have changed fuel filter no change
I have replaced all the injectors no change in stutter but did correct hard miss.
Cam is new x3, timing belt is new x4, water pump x2 Fresh valve job on head with all new valves and springs 350k miles.
Cam Timing is spot on
Both Intake valves in intake are disconnected and EGR cooler has been removed and bypassed.
Turbo has been rebuilt x2 Tufbo actuator has been replaced and confirmed good and is properly adjusted engine makes good power just has a stutter and occasional no start.
N95 valve verified good and operating but has been replaced.
Mass airflow sensor has been replaced.
O2 sensor has been replaced.

I read some old threads talking about possible ignition switch causing problems with a fuel shut off circuit????? That one needs more research.
I need to look into as its possible stumble is caused by intermittent connection dam car is plagued with bad wiring!

As far as using VCDS I have one its a humble tool but its not all that that its gonna tell you why the engine wont start!!!!!! and defiantly wont say ECM is bad lol This is basic trouble shooting 101 stuff! Its a dam Diesel all it needs is fuel and compression it will run take either away it don't run simple.

Last edited:

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Up date Mine died on hiway today and now will not restart no matter how many times I turn the key lol its dead.
So chaulk me up to the was running fine then died wont start club.

My plan run Vagcom see what if anything, if I have to shot gun stuff Cam and crank sensors triple check Cam timming then the wire harness.
It was going down hiway fine then poof no engine no warning lights nothing just like it was shut off I am sure its a fuel issue has to be some sort of fuel shut off

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Yup cranks over fine just no fire in the holes.

Was running great down the hiway just all of a sudden for no reason no warning lights just shut off and would not restart.
5 speed manual.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Is the tack moving when you’re cranking?
Is there any way the fuel lines could be switched on top of the pump?

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
No it wasn't .

Changed Crank shaft sensor (What a pain in the ars) no change still a no start issue.
I pulled Timing Belt cover looks like cam sprocket rotated on bolts BUT Bolts are tight!!!
Regardless I did the Cam in it I know I had it centered on the three bolts and its not now. ((really weird 3 Bolts are confirmed tight!)
In morning I am gonna reset the cam timing and try it again.
I have a new cam shaft sensor but wanna confirm cam slipped as problem b4 changing it.

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
adjusted timing all is good, confirmed compression while turning engine over by hand 2 revolutions per book after timing adjustment.
Still no start
Changed Cam shaft sensor still no start

At wits end at this point! only really leaves Wire harness and ECU correct me if I am wrong?

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
If the tac doesn’t move when cranking that’s the problem. Engine harness maybe?

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Found a short in harness, (cam sensor wireing under air filter assembly) repaired runs like a champ again

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Found a short in harness, (cam sensor wireing under air filter assembly) repaired runs like a champ again
Due to the history of poor wiring on these cars I will be purchasing a new engine wire harness assembly.
Will install it the next time I have another no run issue again.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I would be interested in buying your old harness.

I’m glad you got it fixed. 👍🏿

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Ok after 70-80 test drive and a drive to work 230 miles then lunch 10 miles then while driving to my weekly home rental IT DIED AGAIN !!!
Exactly 1 mile from where it died before.

I have found its Bermuda triangle !!!!!!!!!!!!

K well I know its a wire issue I am good with wires and electronics BUT I have no time for games or POS little cars shot gun time gonna buy the harness.
a Little sooner than expected but Not playing around need car reliable again.

I bought this thing new. miles on it now has 335000 been a POS since new This was my first VW and my Last I will NEVER buy a VW ever again!

Last edited:

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Here is an update on my 2006 TDI Jetta no start issue.
Sent the original ecm to Module Experts in Jacksonville Fl. They tested the module-took it apart and reported it as not repairable. Wanted 600.00+ for one to go. I have a feeling they are third party vendors as I could not take the original ecm over to them. Charged 100.00 plus shipping to check the original one out.
I did some more searching and wound up calling Kerma TDI.
Kerma TDI Performance said they could take another ecm (good) and clone it using the original. I purchased one off of Ebay and sent both to Charlie at Kerma. Got them back, put the junk yard unit in and car started right up in a split second. Just for giggles, I hooked the original one back up and tried to start the car, turn over but no start. Put it all back together and good to go. Found another youtube video on resetting the ecm and followed those instructions.
Everything seems good now!
Another update- 12/5/2022
Jetta is still running great----

Last edited: