2006 Mods

Stuart Eng

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just purchased a 2006 Jetta 34,000 miles with DSG Tranny wanted some advice. Chip or Module which is best (most power)? Plan to add an air intake and exhaust. Which cold air? Was told by out of state speed shop best exhaust was a straigt pipe From turbo to rear end but he couldnt suggest a supplier. Any ideas guys? Thanks

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
with the DSG you don't want to add too much power, but from what I understand Jeff (jsrmonster here on the boards) can Rocketchip your car... I'll bet he'd do a RC1+ on your car...

BTW your trans fluid needs to be changed at 40,000 miles...

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Don't waste your money on the air intake. The stock setup flows quite well.

Chipping the car would be the best way to sqeeze more out of it.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Air intake

You already have a cold air intake!:D It came as stock on the car. :cool: Don't waste your money on an oile air filter such as a K&N or you will be buying a MAF!:eek: Invest in a skid plate from evolution or dieselgeek!

Stuart Eng

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the good advice. Any ideas on exhaust? Hate to sound stupid but why do you need a skidplate? What kind of increase will I get from RC1 chip? How much HP/TQ can the DSG take and still be reliable? Thanks again guys!

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
The exhaust... just take it to a shop and have them fab you up something... you don't need a CAT, but they do sell 3" diesel cats for under $100... no muffler needed... TDIs are quiet... This won't gain you much of anything... maybe a horse or two on a RC1+

with your transmission... you don't want to overpower it... that'll ruin it.

Stuart Eng

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just want to clarify. Only 1or2 hp after adding both the chip and exhaust? Do you go from just ahead of the cat back or from the turbo flange?

Last edited:

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Stuart Eng said:
Just want to clarify. Only 1or2 hp after adding both the chip and exhaust?
The exhaust will get you 1 or 2 HP.

RC1+ (I've heard) will give you another 15. I'm thinking about doing RC2 to my PD, but it's a 5sp with G60/VR6 setup.

bob

alphaseinor

TDI
think +50 hp +90 tq (Indigobluewagon's car) see if you can PM Jeff with rocketchip or go to www.kermatdi.com for a different method...

1 or 2 for the exhaust... turbo back, with new diesel cat

as for the transmission... I know that a RC3 is too much... I haven't seen anyone with RC2 yet...

www.dieselgeek.com sells skidplates.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My '06 got 150/240 with RC1+ and no other mods at the 2006 New England dyno day. 1300 miles on it at the time. Although I'll be the first to admit it was an 'ideal' day (cool, dry) and the dyno may have been reading a bit high, but you get the idea.

I'm reluctant to go the mufferectomy route on the A5 since it's sooo refined with its stock system. I'm still deciding, but I may go a different direction witht that car anyway.

Stuart Eng

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks tried to email rocketchip sounds like exhaust and intake are a waste of time and money at my level of performance. To Indigoblue are you happy with this level of performance? Did RC1+ give a dramatic change in seat of the pants feel?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stuart Eng said:
Thanks tried to email rocketchip sounds like exhaust and intake are a waste of time and money at my level of performance. To Indigoblue are you happy with this level of performance? Did RC1+ give a dramatic change in seat of the pants feel?
Oh yeah. One noticable sound my car made before chipping was the 'clack' sound of the accelerator hitting the stop. I don't hear that much anymore. It's especially brilliant on the highway where a nudge will make it sail up past 100 effortlessly.