2006 Jetta TDI overhead console shorting damage

okgo

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd manual
http://postimg.org/image/hsckqpg2f/

Hi guys, first post!
I just bought my dream Jetta, but there are a few things that I need to fix.
The first and most concerning thing would be a shorting noise I heard in the overhead console with the map lights.
When I disassembled the overhead console I found the issue in the attached picture.
Has anyone else had this problem where the off-door-on switch shorts and melts the plastic, then never works right again?

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Actually, pretty common, or so I have been told? I don't think mine was as visibly damaged, but, it certainly worked no more...

okgo

TDI
Thanks! Do you know of an easy replacement for the center overhead console or are those parts hard to find? Would anyone recommend just putting in a generic 3 position switch replacement or is there a cleaner solution?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You might try re-soldering all the solder points on the circuit board. Could be a cracked solder joint.

After that, just go to ID parts and replace the entire console. That's what I did when the interior light switch fell apart. Because of how the console is made, going with a toggle switch is not really possible.

What really gripes me is that I almost never used that interior light switch and it fell apart. It does sound like you might be having a problem with the same switch that failed on my car.

Last edited:

okgo

TDI
I likely am, I hear these buttons have been quite problematic (if only sometimes in the paint department). One more question (and a statement :p)
Which circuit board are you referring, one inside the dash somewhere? I'm not sure where the wires from the console are headed.
I've also been looking at every parts store I can find but none carry the console. I contacted a dealer and they'll special order the assembly for 130, which seems reasonable.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
It is like $120 from the stealership, or a couple of bucks from a junk yard, which was the route I took. A few hidden screws, but, once you figure that out, you are good.

okgo

TDI
That's my main dillema; I've checked all the junk yards within 50 miles of me and none seem to have MK5 VW vehicles:(
Plenty of 2001-2002 Jettas though.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I likely am, I hear these buttons have been quite problematic (if only sometimes in the paint department). One more question (and a statement :p)
Which circuit board are you referring, one inside the dash somewhere?
Look at the picture you posted. See the green thing with the dark green traces on it? That circuit board.

After looking at your picture again and seeing the burnt plastic, your console needs to be replaced.

You can get an OEM VW console online from a real VW dealer for a VG price. Give Zeb a call if you have trouble with the online form.

http://www.1stvwparts.com/

Last edited:

okgo

TDI
I figured that's what you had meant, but had to make sure that there wasn't some other circuit board in the car that commonly shorts which would cause my new console to break as well. I had already ohmed out all the parts on the board and re-touched all solder points so it's probably just something busted in the switch and is beyond recovery after the plastic took heat.

Thanks for the link though, it looks like they really do have a huge selection of parts over what I could find in any other place!

okgo

TDI
"Then also replaced the door latch mechanism located inside driver's side door. This device controls internal dome lights when door opening. Now have car back with full power and all the working lights."

Ok guys, lightbulb moment.
Found this gem above on an independent edmunds article of some other topic.
My drivers side door latch WAS bad (works 1/10 times), probably internally shorted, and likely the reason my overhead console toasted.
I'll update when I can get home to test.