2006 Jetta questions

Chevyss772

TDI
2006 Jetta
So i have recently moved to Albuquerque, NM From Texas
and i haven't been able to find a reputable shop close by

The cam in my car is going out it has started to get progressively worse after about 110k
I have 118k now
I am looking to upgrade my cam but i would also like to add considerable hp and mpg to the mix

I have seen on kerma tdi that they have these hp kits for a "decent" price but i know that they arent a reputable dealer

Im willing to upgrade anything i need to to get the hp and mpg upgrades that i want

I have looked at the turbo threads and the injectors threads but im more of a hands on learner and if someone could tell me the different parts and pieces that i need to accomplish my goals that would be ideal.
Im wanting close to 200hp and 40+ mpg obviously i understand its hard to get both so if i need to sacrifice the hp for mpg i am willing to do that but my jetta needs some more pep for sure.
Any constructive help is much appreciated

Dragracerzzz

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L BRM 300K Mi. Malone Stage 1.5 tune and haulin the mail! (Courtesy of WIDiesel Service) Thanks Kevin
200 hp is really highfor a totally stock car but youcould get about 150-160 total HP from a stage 1.5 tune from Malone orRocketchip

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
If your cam is wearing badly Kerma's Colt cam is an excellent rout to take. From my experience they are a reputable dealer. I have achieved that 200 hp goal but it takes a lot more than a cam.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Not without some other mods.. A chip tune on a BRM isn't close to 160hp.
You can gain a solid 40hp at the wheels with tuning, but that is pretty much the limit of what you can make with the stock turbo and injectors.

chiro05

Veteran Member
TDI
none
You can gain a solid 40hp at the wheels with tuning, but that is pretty much the limit of what you can make with the stock turbo and injectors.

Agreed. 140hp is the limit to stock and thats pushing you turbo to possible failure.

Chevyss772

TDI
2006 Jetta
I willing to upgrade clutch, injectors, turbo, and whatever else may need to be done to achieve those numbers
i am hoping to spend around 3k anyone think its possible with that amount?

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
going to spend a hell of a lot more than that to get up to the 200 mark. and it is just not motor mods that you'll need there is a lot more involved to make an all around good daily driver once the motor is capable of that power. you need to think about larger breaks, lsd to get the power to the ground, better motor mounts, ect.....also add in a lot of labor to get everything put together. to get a well rounded 200 whp you are probably looking for 10k for starters. if I had to do it all over again I'd get into that 150-160 whp which can be had for a hell of a lot less and spend that extra dough somewhere else.

Chevyss772

TDI
2006 Jetta
Like I said im open to all options I love the mpg I get now but it could be better and the power could be also

What did you have in mind for the 150-160 hp mark as far as mods go? ^

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Like I said im open to all options I love the mpg I get now but it could be better and the power could be also

What did you have in mind for the 150-160 hp mark as far as mods go? ^

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Only real way to see good MPG increases on a PD are bigger nozzles/injectors. They aren't cheap however like the old ALH engines. Just a tune on a PD's won't affect the mileage much at all (good or bad)

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
I've seen a few shot cams on PD motors. Typically when the owners go to Mr Lube or whatever.

Not only was the cam shot but most of the lifters as well.... worn right through the lifter with big holes in them. Crazy.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Take what I have in my signature, and add in pd150 injectors with r783 nozzles and you will be just shy of 200whp running ~26psi.

It will take more than $3k to get there.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Honestly, I went down this road wanting to get more power. But in the end, I just got a tune from green diesel and I'm content with 130whp and 50mpg.

When you start asking for more you really need to open up the wallet. I'd say get an upgraded cam and an engine tune from whatever vendor you choose and see how you like it. And engine tune really wakes these cars up.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Honestly, I went down this road wanting to get more power. But in the end, I just got a tune from green diesel and I'm content with 130whp and 50mpg.

When you start asking for more you really need to open up the wallet. I'd say get an upgraded cam and an engine tune from whatever vendor you choose and see how you like it. And engine tune really wakes these cars up.
Cam is a waste of $$$, especially without head work and more fuel + boost. A tune on the other hand wakes these cars up like crazy.