2006 Jetta: Only right half of right rear brake light working

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Hi all, my friend has the 2006 Jetta TDI. He is not really a member here. The problem is as mentioned in the title. His left brake light works fine, right brake light only illuminates on right half of normal brake light circle. He replaced a bulb, but it looked good and didn't change. Dealer is saying it is in the brake module, but that seems screwy that only the left half of the brake is not illuminating, and right side is. He says there is an engine light on but since I only have the barebones VG for my 98 ans 02, assumed I couldn't see the code for his, but will check if I can.

Without benefit of the error msg, if it is related to the left half of the brake light circuit being out, has anyone faced this and been victorious? Thanks.

Orth92

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (164,XXX Miles) 1.9L, Stage 1.5 malone tuned
It might be the holder of the bulbs. I believe around $50 at the dealer.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
I'm happy to report that even though it wasn't the first thing we tried after the new bulb didn't work, when we eventually got around to thinking perhaps the new bulb was bad...it was, lol. All is well, now, thanks. I've had that happen to me before, but just as last time, I didn't think a new bulb out of the package could be bad.