2006 Jetta heater problem

Jungledave

TDI
Jetta
My o6 Jetta Tdi heater only is on warm and will no longer kick the ac on. It’s hot no matter where you turn the temp knob. Inside and outside air seem to work and all the other settings work, floor, face or defrost.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
With the AC on does the lines under the hood get cold? The heater core always has hot water going through it. A mix door blocks it off when the knob is on “cold”.

Jungledave

TDI
Jetta
With the AC on does the lines under the hood get cold? The heater core always has hot water going through it. A mix door blocks it off when the knob is on “cold”.
no. The ac compressor does not kick in at all. It’s always hot so I keep it on recirculate so the air doesn’t blow through

privateTDIjet

TDI
2009 Jetta 2.0 TDI and 2014 Passat 2.0 TDI
Its most likely the actuator right behind the heater core. Like RX7145 said, there are plastic doors that open or close and are driven by a small motor. My other passat is having issues with one getting stuck closed... leading to cold passenger side air. Im guessing your motor died and the doors are left open, letting all the outside air pass by the heater core.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Well, since the compressor is not compressing, probably the refrigerant control valve.

Jungledave

TDI
Jetta
Well, since the compressor is not compressing, probably the refrigerant control valve.
I guess I should have added more history. My heater worked before but never great, ac always worked. Then list AC and heater temp control, always hot now no matter heater on ir off. I set to recirculate to keep the constant hot air from blowing through. All the dash settings,like defrost floor or face work fine. When my heater all of a sudden started working but you couldn’t adjust the temp is when I noticed the defrost was not so great, no AC on defrost now. Or NO ac at all.

Jungledave

TDI
Jetta
Its most likely the actuator right behind the heater core. Like RX7145 said, there are plastic doors that open or close and are driven by a small motor. My other passat is having issues with one getting stuck closed... leading to cold passenger side air. Im guessing your motor died and the doors are left open, letting all the outside air pass by the heater core.
That passenger cold on outside air was actually an early symptom. The heater never reall worked great but ac was Ok. Now the heater works too good. Inside and outside air work but not the temp control or the AC. I am pretty sure the AC quit at the same time the heater started heating all the time.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Well to me it sounds like you have an odd problem. I guess I would start by taking the panels off and manipulating the controls so you can see what’s broken. If you have buttons it’s all electronic if you have knobs I think that the heat control is still mechanical, but I could be wrong.