2006 jetta headliner issues

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Jo-Ann fabric sells headliner material that looks great! Looks factory for a whopping $45.
Tell us more. What glue did you use and how difficult would replacement be for someone that does all of their mechanical maintenance (for instance)?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
I don't buy that for a second. If a headliner is properly fitted and applied there's no reason it shouldn't last 2 decades, regardless of the climate. My dad's 1999 maxima headliner is still perfect in south Florida summers without a garage. Volkswagen cheaped out, plain and simple. Same deal with the door and engine room harnesses among others. Cost-cutting 101.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
I'll have to second that. The headliner on my 09 is now shrinking on all 4 pillars, bubbling on the back and over the visor. i noticed the light buttons by the sunroof knob blistering.
The clutch rubber felt off. looks like rubber is degraded and cracks easily.
The door armrest leather looking cover on all doors felt off, had to glue it back.

Yet my 98 tacoma has none of these issues. hmm

All this is making my decision to sell much easier. can get 15.5K for it.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Well add our Jetta TDI to the list of headliner defects. As the original owner I can tell you the TDI is always garaged. "If it ain't running, its parked inside" ... Rarely is the car sitting outside in the roasting Vail mountain sun. Actually,, the amount of garage time or not,, it irrelevant.

The headliners defect is attributed to premature adhesive failure. The TDI is kept in tip top shape resembling that of a new car - its in super condition for any age.
Phoned VoA's Customer care hotline casting about for a bit of original-ordering owner goodwill,, but no soap. Christ,,, the TDI is 10 years old almost to the date; in-service was October 31, 2006

Guess I'll be ordering a new headliner? Has anyone refurbished an OE headliner with there own automotive headliner material, or how about the popular alcantera (faux suede) material? Alcantera for a headliner is a popular option for Audi & Porsche cars of late.
Once having DIY removed the headliner,,, recover the OE headliner base with whatever material and replace .... ? Anyone?

Last edited:

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
I've been dealing with the sagging headliner problem for about 4 years now. It's mostly an issue around the rear dome light. The only low tech solution that works well is push pins. Cheesy, I know, but it works OK.

Jetta Junky

TDI
Jetta 2006
Welp...add my Jetta ( '06 TDI) to the list!
Yes, I realize the last post on this thread was 5 years ago.😁
Not sure how I lucked out for so long given that it has been outdoors all these years. My car just turned 190k last week and has been a pretty good performer all these years - I'm hoping to get another 3 or so.