2006 jetta headliner issues

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
That's exactly what I think is happening.

Having said that new headliner costs approx. $550 for my car. I was previously thinking about re-wrapping the whole upper interior in my both VWs with Alcantara. A bit of work, but the final effect should be great. Touareg has a factory option in Europe of Alcantara headliner.

shadediesel

TDI
2010 TDI Cup Edition; 2006 Jetta TDI
I think they have just got so many requests that it has got kind of out of control and has ended up costing them way more than they first envisioned. The ones I don't see why they approved are those for second owners of the cars, as they did not buy the car new and therefore VW didn't see any money from them in the first place.
What a shame. There is no reason a 2006 headliner should be collapsing as mine was. But as I said before, VWOA redid mine for free on the 18th. Again, I am the second owner. That should be irrelevant. Perhaps what was relevant was that I also am the first owner of a 2010. Viewed me (correctly) as a loyal customer?

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps what was relevant was that I also am the first owner of a 2010. Viewed me (correctly) as a loyal customer?
I also have '08 Touareg TDI and '85 Jetta TD. And that '06 Jetta TDI replaced '02 Jetta 1.8T. The only other brand in our family was '08 MCS. I guess I do not fall under "loyal customer" category...

shadediesel

TDI
2010 TDI Cup Edition; 2006 Jetta TDI
I also have '08 Touareg TDI and '85 Jetta TD. And that '06 Jetta TDI replaced '02 Jetta 1.8T. The only other brand in our family was '08 MCS. I guess I do not fall under "loyal customer" category...
No clue. Sorry to hear that. Maybe I got in as one of the last ones they would do before they decided it would cost too much. Sorry that they left you hanging.

buckinjacket

TDI
2006 jetta tdi dsg
The dealership in Augusta Ga looked at my headliner and told me he didn't think anything could be done as the car had 99k on it, how miles could cause a headliner to pull away and fall is beyond me but he would call it in. VW said they would pay for half as a good will but I found a local shop that would do it for less than half of the dealership's half.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Seems to me it is more on the dealer than VW on this getting covered. Maybe a list of the "YES", "NO" and "HALF" dealers would help. I mentioned it to my local VW dealer Chattanooga and the service writer said he hadn't heard of anything like that. I woul be very willing to drive to another dealer to have the work performed...

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I made a stop at Byer's VW in Columbus. I was the first person to bring up the problem, and they wouldn't even contact VWOA. The service writer said there was no way they would cover it.

Other than that I have always had good experiences with Byers.

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
I having this problem happen in my Jetta... mostly over the back seat around the overhead light.

I think I may initially try some low-tech, low cost solution; maybe some sort of double-sided tape.

spyder982

TDI
So i got off the phone with VWofA and according to them, this entire 7 page forum is made up. I was assured by the VWofA rep that none of you guys, especially the ones with any mileage over the factory warranty had your headliner's replaced. Instead you were all making it up and that the issue of the foam disintegrating egged on my the sun roof, is all a lie. And when the salesman told me the extended warranty is an extension of the factory warranty, which covers everything, it's not.

They were however, extremely interested in looking at my wife's airbag problem after i complained her airbag didn't deploy when she rear ended a stopped car at 25-30 mph. They are paying for the diagnostics fee and potentially more since both driver's and passenger's seat plugs have been replaced and the fact the car has been to 4 dealers and a body shop to fix the airbag light with no avail. They were interested how often i took the car in for routine service but didn't like when i mentioned never due the $125 hourly rate they charge here in austin, TX.

as i've said before, last VW I'll ever be buying. I'm tired of getting ripped of by the dealers and treated like an idiot at all 5 i've been to/called. With all the new diesel cars coming out next year VW is fixing to lose a ton of customers.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
So i got off the phone with VWofA and according to them, this entire 7 page forum is made up. I was assured by the VWofA rep that none of you guys, especially the ones with any mileage over the factory warranty had your headliner's replaced. Instead you were all making it up and that the issue of the foam disintegrating egged on my the sun roof, is all a lie.
I have to put it on my signature.

spyder982

TDI
go for it haha. i myself am waiting for the mazda 3 sky diesel! With my wife's car they asked for an email with pictures of the wreck, a crash report and something else. I'm thinking of including a link to this forum for fun and asking them how they can invalidate all of your posts.

blimo

TDI
2009 Jetta ScrapWagon TDI
NHTSA Reporting opportunity

You should report the airbag issue to NHTSA!

So i got off the phone with VWofA and according to them, this entire 7 page forum is made up. I was assured by the VWofA rep that none of you guys, especially the ones with any mileage over the factory warranty had your headliner's replaced. Instead you were all making it up and that the issue of the foam disintegrating egged on my the sun roof, is all a lie. And when the salesman told me the extended warranty is an extension of the factory warranty, which covers everything, it's not.

They were however, extremely interested in looking at my wife's airbag problem after i complained her airbag didn't deploy when she rear ended a stopped car at 25-30 mph. They are paying for the diagnostics fee and potentially more since both driver's and passenger's seat plugs have been replaced and the fact the car has been to 4 dealers and a body shop to fix the airbag light with no avail. They were interested how often i took the car in for routine service but didn't like when i mentioned never due the $125 hourly rate they charge here in austin, TX.

as i've said before, last VW I'll ever be buying. I'm tired of getting ripped of by the dealers and treated like an idiot at all 5 i've been to/called. With all the new diesel cars coming out next year VW is fixing to lose a ton of customers.

spyder982

TDI
What do you think? Worth it or no. I personally don't think she hit low enough but what do i know.

Last edited:

somerando

TDI
Jetta
Found this thread after my wifes 2007 Jetta began to suffer the headliner issue (failed near rear dome light) and gave VWoA a call. Was told to take it in for inspection and the case was forwarded to a regional case manager. Had it inspected the next day and was called and informed that they would cover the replacement free of charge. Not sure why some cases are being denied but we were well out of warranty, so some are still being approved. For what it's worth this is our third VW.

spyder982

TDI
do you have a case number you wouldn't mind sharing? they were VERY firm in that no one was having their headliner repaired. i will be forwarding them this forum when i email them my air bag complaints. Last VW i'll be buying

Prismfisher

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Headliner fail

I have a 2006 TDI jetta with the headliner failure as well. I contacted VWOA and took into a dealership. VW picked up the cost of the headliner (390.00 they say) and I took care of the labor (about 190). I thought that it was fair but not over the top generous of them. I think it really depends on which case manager you get. I did tell them of this thread and others like it that show this is a common problem.

My original failure wasn't that bad as my car has always been garage kept. It did show signs of getting worse as time went on.

Good luck on your repair. On a side note the dealer was a bit sketchy to deal with as they are about to lose their vw certification to become a strictly Subaru dealer.

spyder982

TDI
Yeah... i will never be buying a VW again and advising EVERYONE to do the same especially with the new diesel mazda and gov motors coming out next year. After the regional manager never called me, i called in to complain along with sending in ALL documentation showing i tried to get the headliner repaired at 59k under certified preowned. I also forward the 5 VW and 2 Caliber Collision records showing the airbag hasn't functioned correctly since jan 2011 when they did the "recall" work. Was told the regional manager would call me without a doubt by 5pm yesterday. no call again. I asked the VW of America guy if they liked selling cars or not because their service and response has been terrible. you would think that a company with only 3.4% of the american market share would at least call people back when they said they would.

Would love to live where you are. i was quoted $1500.00 to replace the headliner. Maybe it's a georgetown/austin thing.

Last edited:

radar

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
got off the phone with VWoA this morning in regards to my Jetta TDI 2005.5 with falling headliner. She "reviewed the case" and denied me. I asked why I was denied being that it's a case by case basis. Did I not buy enough vw's in the past I asked. She asked if I would like a second review, well yea. She put me on hold again and came back with a second denial. I'm not happy

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
got off the phone with VWoA this morning in regards to my Jetta TDI 2005.5 with falling headliner. She "reviewed the case" and denied me. I asked why I was denied being that it's a case by case basis. Did I not buy enough vw's in the past I asked. She asked if I would like a second review, well yea. She put me on hold again and came back with a second denial. I'm not happy
I'd ask for a third review and if that fails I'd bother them until they accepted or I got bored with it.

radar

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
I've handed the problem over to my wife, they're going to be sorry now. I will suggest that she start with a third review, and maybe see how many reviews she can get. she won't stop, and neither will I.

spyder982

TDI
ok so i heard back from the regional manager after i presented my case that i tried to have my headliner repaired at 59k miles and was told by Don Hewwit ( yes i'm name dropping now because they have lied to me repeatedly, avoid at all costs! I'll provide a full list of dealers i've used in texas to avoid at all cost later) that it would be 1,500 completely leaving out that i could call vw. the bs answer i received from the regional rep was hilarious. i'll try my best to get it summarized here in it's entirety.

regional rep: Sir we can't do anything for your car because you are at 106k miles at the time of request so i'm denying your claim.
me: well great because i took it in at 59k miles so lets get it fixed!
regional rep: sir i can't you were outside of the new car warranty of 50k miles.
me: so all the 50 plus guys on the tdi forums are all liars is what you're telling me? none of them had their headliner's replaced outside of the factory warranty?
regional rep: no sir that's not what i'm saying. i'm sure they did have theirs replaced but this is a case by case process.
me: ok so let's take this case by case then and get mine fixed. i brought it in at 59k miles and was lied to by the dealer. now i know it could have been assisted in the repair let's get this done.
regional rep: sir i can't because you were over the new car warranty.
me: but you just said it was a case by case basis.
regional rep: i know i did but you were outside of the warranty and you declined the repair.
me: you bet i declined it, it was $1,500 for a item you and they KNEW was defective and they lied to me telling me the only options i had was to pay for it or leave it, even though i was well within my certified preowned warranty.
regional rep: sir the certified preowned warranty does not cover the headliner.
me: nice of you to mention that because i emailed you and asked you twice to show me where it says that. i even sent you a copy of my certified prowned book and informed you i've read it three times. it never mentions the headliner.
regional rep: sir if you had a problem with the dealer you should have called the number in the back of your owner's manual like we showed you when you bought the car.
me: so all dealers are liars?
regional rep: no i'm not saying that i
me: yes you are. if you look at the documentation i sent it took me anywhere from 10-30k miles and taking the car back to the same lying dealer 3-5 times to realize they had NO clue as to how to fix the airbag. You're telling me i can't trust any repairs to my vehicles EVER!
regional rep: sir this is a case by case issue and i don't have an official diagnosis of your headliner at 59k miles.
me: so let me get this straight, Don Hewitt is a liar then who will rip me off at any cost?
regional rep: sir that's not what i'm saying i
me: yes it is. because the paper print out from Don Hewitt i sent you saying the headliner would cost 1,500 to repair, you're telling me doesn't validate it was broken. This implies that Don Hewitt will repair anything that doesn't need to be repaired if i'm dumb enough to pay them.
regional rep: sir that's not what i'm saying i
me: so then we can both agree it was probably broke if they were offering to repair it.
regional rep: Yes i'm sure it was broke but sir this is a case by case basis and you declined the repair. we take into account how my vw cars your family owns and how often you bring your car in to get things like your oil changed.
me: Of course i declined the repair! why would i pay for something YOU KNEW was defective, built defective and was being repaired all across the country? Don Hewitt lied to me as well when they told me the only options were to pay to have it repaired or leave it broke when they knew VW was fixing them around the country. Also you're telling me you're penalizing me because i do my own oil changes? does your stupid model take into account that your hourly rate for these guys in austin is $125 an hour? i'm not paying you guys that rate to do something i can do myself in 30 minutes.
regional rep: no sir it doesn't. i'm sorry you feel this way.
me: so this is worth the risk to you that i'll be telling EVERYONE i know to never buy a vw and that i will never be buying a vw again.
regional rep: if that's what you feel you have to do i
me: no i'm asking you right now, is it worth the risk? in case you haven't noticed you have 3.4% of the us market share and have had little to no growth for 30 years. is it worth the risk.
regional rep: i'm sorry you're not happy with our decisions but we have models in place to work these through.
me: just like your case by case but not in your case method. i'm fine with it, its your decision.

I will be following up with vw with the same synopsis but in more detail along with seeing who i report the following dealers to at the BBB and the local chamber of commerce-
Don Hewwit - georgetown
Sterling vw - abilene

Also sad for vw as my wife drives 27-30k miles per year for work and recreation. we were looking to rotate diesel jettas every 100-120k miles depending on the individual car and have the $ to buy new each time. I've estimated, without inflation which i will be adding soon, at 26k a car they just lost approximately $350k worth of business. This does not include my parents or sister who will never buy a VW (they've already owned 2) and any one else who listens to my story on social media.

avoid as well
any dealer in austin - extremely high hourly rates. ex don hewwit is 125. mac haik ford next door is 75 or it was when i was having the items repaired on my f150 at the time of my jetta purchase in 10.
vw in north richland hills - repaired my sun roof only to have it not seal correctly the next day.

good dealers
autobahn fort worth

ok dealer - only taken this in to have the diagnostics run twice for VW cause they lost the first one and tried to blame the dealer for never calling them back.
garlyn shelton temple.

I would HIGHLY advise all of you to avoid the dealer like the plague especially in Texas. I've grown up always being critical of the dealers and auto company but i never expected to be treated this way. Document everything although in my case, it doesn't look like it will get you anywhere. they just ignore it.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Mine was repaired by VWOA free last year, but apparently only after they verified that I had bought a VW new in 1979 and owned 3 other VWs over the past 28 years. I love 95% of VW engineering and absolutely hate the other 5%. My 2006 BRM manual kicks ass, but only after LOTS of repairs.

7greenhorn

TDI
05 mIV Jetta TDI
Bringing it back... I bought an 05 with 55k and headliner is falling. It appears there isn't a headliner issue??? Most of the mechanics and upholstery shops I asked stated it was common for VW though??? I guess we need more people to call or e-mail?

Anyway here's their response...

I am sorry to learn of the headliner concerns of your Jetta.

I understand you believe there is a common concern with Volkswagen interior. While I am unable to validate online resources, I appreciate your wanting to become more informed about this concern.

The headliner was covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW) for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurred first, from the in-service date of March 20, 2005 for manufacturer shortcomings in materials and workmanship.

Due to the age and mileage of your Jetta, the NVLW has expired. Volkswagen will not be able to assist with the cost of the headliner repair. I apologize a more favorable response is not available.

Volkswagen obtains information from our dealers to determine when a repair trend is apparent. Please continue to work with your dealer to complete the headliner repair.

If in the future a recall or service action campaign is released, you will be notified by mail. At that time, there will be an opportunity to request reimbursement for previous campaign related repair expenses.

Your loyalty to our brand is appreciated, and I am confident there is a Volkswagen to meet your girlfriend’s expectations.

Feel free to email me back if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

vwayfarer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi
One more sag story!

Our 2006 VW Jetta TDi sedan also has sagging headliner. I have never had any other car with sagging headliner, and I have owned many older cars (none were VW though). I also tried the 3M headliner spray glue to no avail. I am getting it replaced in a couple days for $450, plus $265 for new windshield. The windshield is a separate issue, but replacing the headliner is easier if performed between the removal and installation of the windshield. A Jetta station wagon wouldn't have the same installation difficulties.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
I mean these cars are getting old now. Even my garaged or carport covered 02 Mustang GT is starting to get some of the rear headliner coming down. If it gets hot where yo live its going to happen. I have accepted it.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I mean these cars are getting old now. Even my garaged or carport covered 02 Mustang GT is starting to get some of the rear headliner coming down. If it gets hot where yo live its going to happen. I have accepted it.
I don't buy that for a second. If a headliner is properly fitted and applied there's no reason it shouldn't last 2 decades, regardless of the climate. My dad's 1999 maxima headliner is still perfect in south Florida summers without a garage. Volkswagen cheaped out, plain and simple. Same deal with the door and engine room harnesses among others. Cost-cutting 101.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk