2006 jetta headliner issues

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Does this unofficial free repair program apply to second and third owners as well?

I'm the second owner of my '06 and at 80,000 miles the enter rear half of my headliner is falling out.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I am the second owner of my 2006 TDI Jetta and after I inquired, VWofA replaced mine without charge.

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Does this unofficial free repair program apply to second and third owners as well?

I'm the second owner of my '06 and at 80,000 miles the enter rear half of my headliner is falling out.
Ours had 12,000 miles on it when we bought it, so I would say yes, this covers all cars regardless of owners. It's a defect that they should have had a recall on but it is cheaper to do it this way I guess.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
I'm als a second owner, and mine will be replaced for free as well. Worth a call on this.

schoolcb

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just had mine replaced for free, dealership did a nice job. Glad I saw the post here! I asked the service advisor if this headliner would last longer and she said it is an improved part, and that they replace all mounting hardware as well. Hope she's right.

BTW, dealership quoted me $950 to do the timing belt/water pump replacement, which was not as high as I expected. No matter, replaced it myself over the Thanksgiving holiday.

MileageLover

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Noticed mine was doing the exact same about a week ago. The backseat is rarely used, and my jaw about hit the ground when I finally saw it.

Glad I checked this thread. I was about to go stick some straight pins in it as a temporary fix. Instead, I've submitted a request to VW to see if I can get it replaced.

94,000 miles here.

The dealership didn't even call me back when I called for an estimate on the timing belt/water pump. Guess I'll ask them again if they send me in to get headliner pics. A friend of a friend is an ex-VW tech, so my backup plan is to pay him to do the TB, etc, if he is willing.

Iflyasa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I called VW North America the other day. I told them about my headliner issue and they wanted to know where my VW was serviced and if anyone else has ever worked on it, mileage, and if I was the original owner. I'm the 2nd owner with 84k miles.

They called me back the next day, spoke with the manager at my local dealer, and they agreed to replace my liner for free!!! Wow, thanks TDICLUB.COM!!!!

MileageLover

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Well, here's the email I got back.

I guess I just stop in at the dealer and get them to "diagnose" the problem?

---------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your e-mail in regard to the headliner for your Jetta. I am sorry to learn of the concern you are experiencing, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Currently there are no open recall campaigns for the headliner for your car. Your vehicle came with a New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurred first. Based on the in-service date of your vehicle being 07/31/2006, your vehicle is 16 months and 44,000 miles outside of the terms of the warranty. It is because of this, we may not be able to provide any repair cost assistance.

We research all requests for assistance on a case by case basis. If you are seeking repair cost assistance for the concern you are experiencing, you must first have your vehicle diagnosed at an authorized Volkswagen dealership. Once the vehicle is diagnosed you can contact us at the number listed below and provide the name of the dealership. We will follow-up on the needed repair with the dealership and make a determination at that time.

It is my sincere desire to assist our customers whenever possible, and I look forward to the opportunity to further research your request.

If I may be of future assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

[FONT=&quot]Sincerely,[/FONT]

Tracy G.
Customer CARE Advocate

P.S. Our records indicate the T3 campaign has not yet been completed on your vehicle. Please contact your dealer and schedule an appointment to have this campaign completed at your earliest convenience. The work will be performed on your vehicle free of charge.

Last edited:

MileageLover

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Update: They are replacing mine for no charge as well. My service advisor said they have been covering them about 90% of the time.

Adrenolize

TDI
2013 Jetta MkVI TDI Premium
I had mine replaced for free a couple months ago. They threatened to stick me with $1500 to get it done, but I was calm, nice and firm about what I wanted and expected. My car was still in the CPO warranty which helped. My mileage was then around 70k. I did notice that they replaced it with a really close color, which I found out was basically the newer style replacement. My 'contact' at the dealership told me that it was an engineering failure and they are quietly handling it in the hopes that not EVERYONE comes in for one.

Took me 3 months of arguing to make it happen though. May just be my dealership though.

Jester747

TDI
06 TDI Sedan 5spd
VW offered to pay parts and I pay for labor...

I'm the second owner of my 2006.5 which has 133,000 miles. Headliner is drooping so much that my rear view is almost blocked. VWoA offered to cover parts if I paid for labor. The dealer quoted me $242 for labor (which I know is far less than what I'll pay anywhere else for the whole job), but I sure was hopeful that I'd get everything covered.
I see I am a good bit past the mileage of the others who have posted here, plus this is the first time this car has even seen a dealer on my watch being that I do all maintenance myself, plus I have a great guru nearby if needed.
What do y'all think? Should I ask VWoA for more assistance or the dealer for a break (ha!), or just let it be?
Did any of you have to haggle to get everything covered or was that their first offer?

Thanks!

bhdeloach

TDI
(2) 2006 Jetta's
2006 Jetta with same issue

I too own a 2006 Jetta Tdi with approximately 137,350 miles on it. The headliner in mine is also falling in all the common areas as everyone else. I actually own (2) 2006 Jetta's and replaced the headliner in my other one last year at my own expense. I found this forum last night on the headliner issue and emailed VWoA an hour ago. I will be awaiting their response and will let you know what they say. This site has been more than helpful on several occasions. Thanks for all who contribute issues and fixes!!!!

bhdeloach

TDI
(2) 2006 Jetta's
I too own a 2006 Jetta Tdi with approximately 137,350 miles on it. The headliner in mine is also falling in all the common areas as everyone else. I actually own (2) 2006 Jetta's and replaced the headliner in my other one last year at my own expense. I found this forum last night on the headliner issue and emailed VWoA an hour ago. I will be awaiting their response and will let you know what they say. This site has been more than helpful on several occasions. Thanks for all who contribute issues and fixes!!!!

I got 1 day back reply from VWoA, now to O'Steen VW in Jax, FL for them to look at it:

Thank you for your e-mail sharing your concerns with the headliner in your Jetta TDI. I apologize for the inconvenience. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We seek to assist our customers whenever it is possible, and we are happy to look into the requests for possible repair assistance on a case-by-case basis. With this in mind, we must have an official inspection and diagnosis/estimate by an authorized Volkswagen dealership in order to determine what work is needed and if we are able to assist in the cost. Any associated diagnostic fees are the responsibility of the customer.

Once you have set up an appointment for diagnosis, please let us know which dealership you’ve chosen to work with and the time of your appointment. If you’ve already received a recent diagnosis from one of our dealers, we’re happy to look into that, as well.

If I may be of future assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com<http://www.vw.com>.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Nathan T.
Customer CARE Advocate

P.S. Our records indicate the T3 Service Action Airbag Connector and Wiring Harness campaign has not yet been completed on your vehicle. Please contact your dealer and schedule an appointment to have this campaign completed at your earliest convenience. The work will be performed on your vehicle free of charge.

bhdeloach

TDI
(2) 2006 Jetta's
Well I'm happy to report that VWoA paid for the headliner in my 2006 to be replaced at O'Steen VW in Jax, FL. The tech there done a very good job - only took him about 2-2 1/2 hours to complete. They have an awesome service department. Thanks VWoA!!

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I emailed VWOA and got this reply...
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Dear Mr. Barnitz:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Thank you for your e-mail expressing the headliner concern you are experiencing in your Jetta TDI. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]The headliner for your Jetta TDI was a component covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW). The NVLW was in place for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever came first, from the in-service-date of May 1, 2006. Because your Jetta is outside of the NVLW by 30 months and 82,822 miles, Volkswagen is not able to offer assistance with the cost of this repair. I apologize for I realize this is not the answer you were seeking. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]It is our intention to assist our customers whenever possible, and I regret that I am not able to meet your expectations. Be assured I have recorded your concerns for Volkswagen’s review. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]If I may be of future assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Sincerely,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Nathan T.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Customer CARE Advocate[/FONT]

Should I go to a dealership and see what they have to say? My headliner isn't terrible, just starting to pull out on the passenger side.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
Saw this thread and while I was in the dealership for parts I asked if my sagging headliner would get covered by VW. Just picked the car up today and they covered it 100%. still shocked they did it but I have give VW and my local dealer service department a big thanks for fixing it.

shadediesel

TDI
2010 TDI Cup Edition; 2006 Jetta TDI
Wow, so glad I looked at this thread, Have the same problem with my 2006 and called the local upholstery guy. he said Jettas are the worst: need to remove the back window, replace all the clips and that it would cost about $1500. I was in shock. Said they don't do well in the texas heat (105 here in Denton today).

I'm going to contact VWoAmerica and see if I can't get some relief. I am the second owner and have over 110 K on it. But based on this thread, it seems like i have a chance.
steve

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
1. Removing headliner is quite easy I would say, not sure where you get the BS about removing front or rear window, or the crap about replacing the clips. I did it myself when I was installing OEM interior monitoring sensor and it was not a rocket science to pull it out in my small garage.

2. Having said that I have just found out that my headliner is falling apart around the overhead lamps. I will call VWoA asap.

shadediesel

TDI
Just what the upholstery guy told me. Anyway, if I don't have to deal with it personally, then I am happy. Driving to the dealer in 10 mins.

arneeche

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (former), 2012 Jetta TDI (Former), 2014 JSW TDI
email from VW of Tulsa

If it was under factory warranty we would help in the matter, but being that it is a 2006 general wear and tear comes into play.

Glad you are enjoying your vehicle.

Thanks,

Pete Mears

General Sales Manager
Volkswagen
Tulsa
(918) 712-8989

that is what I received in email after contacting vw of tulsa to set up an appointment to have them look at replacing it. I was supposed to go in at 8am tomorrow to pay 50 for them to tell me again no, but decided that I am gonna wait and just go to the dealer in OKC because they have better reviews.

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm the second owner of my 2006.5 which has 133,000 miles. Headliner is drooping so much that my rear view is almost blocked. VWoA offered to cover parts if I paid for labor. The dealer quoted me $242 for labor (which I know is far less than what I'll pay anywhere else for the whole job), but I sure was hopeful that I'd get everything covered.
I see I am a good bit past the mileage of the others who have posted here, plus this is the first time this car has even seen a dealer on my watch being that I do all maintenance myself, plus I have a great guru nearby if needed.
What do y'all think? Should I ask VWoA for more assistance or the dealer for a break (ha!), or just let it be?
Did any of you have to haggle to get everything covered or was that their first offer?

Thanks!
I feel for you, but as the second owner of a car with that many miles (133K), you should just be glad that they are willing to help at all. VW would go belly up if they provided lifetime bumper to bumper for any future owners.

Ron 33

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta GLS Atlantic Blue, Manual
headliner 2006

Same issue, had spouse take car to dealer to get an estimate, $658.00.
Dealer took photos and said they would contact VW about cost.

I Emailed VW Customer Care, explaining the issue, also mentioned I owned a 2000 Jetta with the headliner intact.

VW replied (quickly) after discussing situation with dealer that they would cover total replacement cost!

I was impressed. Expecting only parts cost at best.

Thanks VW!!

ropniak

TDI
New Jetta 2005 Silver
Does anybody know correct email address to VOA and willing to share. The headliner in my Jetta is sagging... The address posted in previous pages is not working.. Thanks.

shadediesel

TDI
To recap: I am the second owner of a 2006 Jetta tdi (with about 130K miles) with the headliner starting to come down. The local upholstery guy said it would be a pain to fix and thus would cost a chunk of change ($1500 or so). Brought the car into Lewisville (TX) VW dealership. They documented it and said they would contact VWOA. They noted that I also had purchased a 2010 TDI Cup Edition and commented that it might help that I appear to be a loyal VW customer. A few days later VWOA gave them the green light and I am scheduled to drop off my vehicle Wednesday, July 18th to get the headliner replaced. I will pay nothing. Very pleased with VWOA concerning this problem. Of course it never should have happened in the first place, but glad they stepped up.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Just got a call that they will NOT fix my headliner because there is NOT any open recall action on the headliners and I am out of my warranty. Normally, I would not mind because obviously they have no obligation to do anything, but considering VWoA has approved several of these repairs with the last one 3 days ago, I am very disappointed...

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I think they have just got so many requests that it has got kind of out of control and has ended up costing them way more than they first envisioned. The ones I don't see why they approved are those for second owners of the cars, as they did not buy the car new and therefore VW didn't see any money from them in the first place.