2006 jetta headliner issues

arneeche

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (former), 2012 Jetta TDI (Former), 2014 JSW TDI
Headliner has gotten worse since previous post. Have contacted VWoA customer care with situation. Awaiting response. Will update.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have an 06 with 160k miles. They are replacing mine as well. I tried to get VWOA to replace the radio and window switches due to the crappy soft touch rubber that is bubbling off by the day, but they wouldn't help me out on that. I even spoke to a supervisor about it. Has anyone had luck getting the soft touch replaced by VW?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Add me to the list. 2006.5 w/ 70,000 miles. Garage kept too, go figure.

My '99 F-150 is still perfect. :confused:

I know this sounds crazy and I won't do it, but if the car were several years older, I would be tempted to remove all the headliner, clean it real good, tape everything inside the car off and spray it with a wrinkle finish gray.

No excuse for a 5 year old car to have the headliner falling down.

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
I called VWoA and my local dealer today. This was after learning that two of my friends had the same defect replaced free out of warranty. I was told by VWoA that the dealer would need to inspect the condition and go from there before considering free repair. It was mentioned by the dealer that this is a fairly common problem.

I will update after my dealer visit tomorrow.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, fired off an email to VWOA. Will see what they respond with.

I thought I read somewhere (maybe here) that the front windshield had to be removed to replace the headliner? Can anyone verify? That does not sound correct. :confused:

dbdubb

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 10 Q7
Just had mine done recently compliments of VWoA and I can confirm the windshield does not get removed....

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Took mine by the dealer yesturday with the outlook looking good that it would be covered by VW. They were basically confirming that no abuse was present.

I just received a call from VWoA stating that they wouldn't normally cover this, but that in my case they would.

Within a few days I should hear from the dealer to schedule the repair. Hopefully they do a solid repair and no complications from their work. This will be the 2nd time that someone besides myself works on the car.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Took mine to the dealer yesterday and the took photos and are suppose to let me know what they will do. Thanks for the answer about not having to remove the winshield.

I asked the service manager if the windshield had to be removed and he did not know, but he thought the doors had to be removed? :eek: No way that can be true.

BlackBioA5

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Did dealer they charge you for the service appointment? I have a case setup with VWoA and they told me schedule an appointment with local dealer. Just looking for some feedback in case they want to charge me for "diagnosis"...

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
No charge for my visit either. I should hear something back from the dealer today (Thurs). Brought it up there first thing Tues morning and was told it would take a day or two to let me know.

Does anyone think the replacement headliner will be an improved component? If not the same think is going to happen again in a few years.

Anyone who has had it done, did they outsource it to an upholstery shop or did the dealer replace it? And how did it turn out?

Thanks

BlackBioA5

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Thanks for the feedback - I'm going to set up an appointment now. I am also interested in how the new headliners are performing.

TDI_NoVA

TDI
2014 A7 TDI
My Jetta headliner shrank at both rear pillars and the cloth is dropping from the ceiling (I tried to repair with headliner glue :(). Called local dealer (Lindsay VW in Sterling, VA) and they told me that MAYBE (contingent on how often I've brought the vehicle in to dealer for service (I don't)) after submitting photos to VW that they MIGHT cover 50% cost. (Their exorbitant cost is $1500!)

Local body/headliner shop in Manassas, VA quoted <$500 so we'll see what kind of job they do.
Based upon the traffic in this forum, I wrote a letter (snail-mail) to VWofA Customer Service and included a copy of the body shop's bill. They (VWofA) left a phone message stating that they would reimburse me in full (<$500) for the cost of having the headliner replaced at a local body-shop. No check in hand yet, but...... is good news!

JJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Anyone who has had it done, did they outsource it to an upholstery shop or did the dealer replace it? And how did it turn out?
It appears to be the same headliner that was taken out except that it wasn't sagging anymore nor was it pulling away from the c-pillars.

The dealer did it. They cut one of the power lines to the mirror lights and it took a few extra days for them to order and replace the part. My only issue with it is that my sunglasses holder no longer opens. They ordered a new counsel for the next time I go in in-case they can't get it to work. Oy!!!

aywkubttod

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
wow, i was really pissed when i got home and saw mine had started pulling away from the sunglasses holder, but maybe there's hope. good info!

Crazy Jetta TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Went to the dealer yesterday to get pictures taken of my headliner. An hour later got a phone call from the dealer and they are covering it 100%. I have 100300 miles on my car at this time. I have to say I am happy they are covering it even with my mileage

Stoked_Jetta

TDI
2009 Jetta TDi
I used to replace these on a regular basis for a few local dealers when I had my own shop. Charged the dealer $475 with no sunroof and $525 with a sunroof. I would just buy the replacement kit from the dealer. It comes ready to go right out of the box. The difficult part is getting the old one out without breaking all the tabs and clips used to hold everything in place, then getting the new one in without damaging it. The windshield (or back glass for that matter) does not have to come out and the door(s) does not have to be removed. I did find that pulling the passenger front seat helped quite a bit. Used to take me a good, full day to swap one.

Last edited:

book1988

TDI
2006 TDI bought in April 2006, 72,000+ miles currently. Headliner appears to be shrinking and falling in the back. Called dealer, they told me to call VW of America. I did and got a case number and took it back to dealer for diagnostic inspection. I was notified today that it will be replaced at no charge, authorized by VW America, I may consider VW purchases in the future if they offer more TDI's. I followed through on this thanks to the posts on this thread.

d21998

TDI
2006 VW Jetta
2006 Jetta TDI w/ 122k miles. Just went to the dealer today after calling VOA and getting a case number. The service manager took pictures of the headliner and the vin and mileage. I was in and out in 5 minutes. 1 hour later he called me back and said that VOA was covering it and the parts and materials should be in in a few days. Awesome!!! Now if they could just repair my stereo and mirror switch paint... Thanks to everyone here in this thread. I called immediately after reading this thread.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
how bad?

2006 Jetta TDI w/ 122k miles. Just went to the dealer today after calling VOA and getting a case number. The service manager took pictures of the headliner and the vin and mileage. I was in and out in 5 minutes. 1 hour later he called me back and said that VOA was covering it and the parts and materials should be in in a few days. Awesome!!! Now if they could just repair my stereo and mirror switch paint... Thanks to everyone here in this thread. I called immediately after reading this thread.
How bad was yours sagging? Or how bad is needed to have it replaced? Mine is letting loose behind the sun visors and in the corners. I didn't even notice when I bought the car. But I would suspect it won't get better on it's own. Have others brought to the dealer in worse condition, or is this bad enough? My car has 67800 miles on it. 2nd owner. Under extended warranty to 72000.

RioWilson

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
How bad was yours sagging? Or how bad is needed to have it replaced? Mine is letting loose behind the sun visors and in the corners. I didn't even notice when I bought the car. But I would suspect it won't get better on it's own. Have others brought to the dealer in worse condition, or is this bad enough? My car has 67800 miles on it. 2nd owner. Under extended warranty to 72000.
I also followed this thread and just had mine replaced a few weeks ago at VWoA's expense. It wasn't sagging too badly - sounds like yours. It was most noticeable back by the C pillar where it had separated and had about 1/4" of foam showing above the trim piece. I was pleasantly surprised that VWoA covered it @ 85,000 miles and well out of warranty.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
I also followed this thread and just had mine replaced a few weeks ago at VWoA's expense. It wasn't sagging too badly - sounds like yours. It was most noticeable back by the C pillar where it had separated and had about 1/4" of foam showing above the trim piece. I was pleasantly surprised that VWoA covered it @ 85,000 miles and well out of warranty.
Thanks, that gives me some hope. Bringing the car in Friday to have the cam looked at so I'll mention this too.

schoolcb

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Holy crap, if I hadn't read this thread not sure how long it would have been before I realized my car was having the same issue (pulling away at back, just starting to sag at top of back window), calling in a case now!

Mhanis

TDI
'06 Jetta w/DSG
I contacted VW America last week and they took care of mine too!! It took a couple of days while they "thought" about it, but in the end it was replaced at no cost and I am thrilled!

Mark

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I too contacted VWoA regarding the falling headliner at 77000 mi and out of warranty. They had me take it to a VW dealership for inspection, then they contacted the dealer for the diagnosis. A couple of days later, the dealer replaced the headliner for me with VWoA picking up the entire cost, including some wiring the tech broke getting the old one out.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Ditto on the headliner coming off at the rear pillars and the radio buttons. Now its the flywheel rattling. Matt65.... WAR EAGLE!!

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Due to this thread, I called VWoA and just had mine inspected this morning. VW is covering the headliner replacement under a "good will" policy. Very happy about that. 2006- with 93,000 miles.
Now, how about the radio buttons that look like they are shredding apart? Crutchfield?

sheepman

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition 5 speed
Glad I found this thread. After the Heat we had this summer mine has shrunk at the A & C pillars and is pulling away from the front too. I'll have to call VWoA tomorrow and see if they will do it.