2006 Jetta DSG failure

Jerry.W

TDI
2006 Jetta, 2006 Beetle
I have a MKV (DSG) with almost 300k miles. The transmission shows flashing PRNDS with blocks and will only engage in 1st and 3rd. I have an OBDeleven dongle and app which shows low voltage to a solenoid. Obviously it is the one that controls the even gears and reverse. My question is this. Can I swap out the gearbox with a HXU from a junkyard and drive away? I have pulled my transmission before to replace my DMF and have the ability to do it again. The car isn't worth paying for a professional and using new parts, but I don't mind throwing a couple hundred dollars at it in an effort to get going again. I will also buy VCDS if it is necessary for this project. My concern is the software. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Option two would be to replace the offending solenoid and pray, but it is likely that there will be more problems in the future from the mechatronics unit, based on my research. Thanks again.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The software is in the M-unit. You cannot get new M-units for those anymore, anyway. Cannot get a whole trans, either (I got that one, and it went in a 400k+ mile car).

So long as the transmission is one of the two code 02Es that the BRM got, you can swap over the whole thing with a used one.

Jerry.W

TDI
2006 Jetta, 2006 Beetle
Thanks for the quick response. So, I can use either transmission code that was used that year and plug and play, correct? In my case, it would be plug and pray. Lol

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I tried swapping in an m unit from an 09 into my 06. It ran and drove good but only for about 5 minutes before throwing codes related to something about incorrect drive ratio. Worked just fine in the 09

Jerry.W

TDI
2006 Jetta, 2006 Beetle
I found a "pull-your-own" transmission. Now, all I need is a miracle and a day without rain or work to install. Wish me luck! Also, the donor car had a trashed DMF. Hopefully, it didn't damage the trans.