2006 JETTA BUNNY HOPPING

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
2013, 2002 jetta, 06 tdi jetta
Hello Folks,
I have a 2006 Jetta, just rolled over 200k. Changed the oil at 200k. She started running poorly? I did a quick check. Found the coolant bottle was low. Topped her off and discovered the dreaded white slimy grease in the bottle. CRAP!!! Anyway I discovered that the trans cooler had a seal failure and the trans and coolant were swapping fluids. I fixed the seal and changed out the ATF and filter. She ran okay but has developed a Bunny HOPP. I have now changed the fluid three times. She is getting better, but still has the hop when taking off from a stop. This problem seems to be worse when I have ran her for a while, ie 60 mile trip. I'm getting ready to change the fluid for the forth time. It almost seems like a broken motor mount or possible a bad speed sensor? The Trans doesn't slip, she can spin the tires on cement absolutly no slippage. Now when she begins to Bunny Hop, if I apply some throttle she stops hopping and takes off normally. I can't afford to rebuild the Trans probably would be a minimum of 3500$ that's if I could find someone capable of doing the job? Don't want to scrap her, she has been a wonderful car and runs great except for this issue. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Regards Preston

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
What type/brand fluid are you using?
Are you doing the transmission adaption after changing the fluid?

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Using the valvaline multi vechical synthetic. According it meets all VW SPECS. What is the transmission adaption? This transmission was supposed to have been rebuilt at reputable shop here in the Houston area before I bought the car, absolutly believe that didn't do a rebuild. Flushed it maybe, believe they hosed the previous owners no way was this transmission ever remove. I got the car cheap because they thought the trans was bad again, it was the fuel filter. They charged 3500$ for this hose job! I had seen this issue with the fuel filter on many of my previous TDI's

Will27

TDI
'06 Golf TDI, '08 Caddy TDI, '13 Passat Alltrack
AFAIK the o-rings under the DSG cooler only keep the DSG fluid from leaking externally. If the DSG fluid and coolant are mixing you'll need to change the cooler itself.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Changed the cooler. took it off another car. Pressure tested it, no leaks. The last time I changed the fluid there was no evidence of coolant contamination. I'm thinking one more change just for good measure. She runs great, shifts thru all 6 speeds. no problem doing 80-90 mph. Can manually shift her too. What is this transmission adaption process? She does the Bunny hop after she is warmed up, taking off from a stop. DEoes't always do it. If I take off slow she usually doesn't do it, or if It does I give her a little throttle and she shifts right out.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thx, haven't used my vag com in a while. Hope I can find the damn thing.DMF? Replaced that on my Son's 06. I have been using a pretty good scanner lately, not the VAG com. DSG is the transmission I guess, didn't know about this procedure. Thx. May have to bring her somewhere?

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello Folks, Wanted to give everyone an update on the Bunny Hop. Could not find my VAG com, lent my laptop to someone and it never came back, the obs plug is with it. I paid $500 for thi9s Ross license for 10 cars. My Buddy used my scanner and was able to get the transmission to reset itself. She did the jumping around as described as she reset herself. He then got her to change the shifting points by manually running her in 1st gear for 8 miles at 2200 rpm. This procedure allows her to shift out a little sooner. This somehow changed the pressure points on the transmission. He found this procedure somewhere on the dark web. lol. Then we changed the fluid out for the 4th time. The fluid looked good, no evidence of contamination. Ju8st took her for a good long run and got her nice and warm. She's running great. Stop and go was no problem no more Bunny hopping. Thanks you Guys, thye Brain Power on this site always amazes me.