2006 Jetta air conditioner

jocat54

TDI
Jetta
Our 2006 Jetta TDI air conditioner works when it wants to--cools good when it comes "on". one repair shop says its the compressor--this doesn't make any sense to me, is there a relay or switch somewhere that would or could cause this. Sometimes it starts working after driving 5-6 miles and other times it may not work for 20-30 miles or more.

Thanks,
John

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I need to learn more about climatronic AC.

If the AC tends to run for just a minute or so when you first turn it on, then run intermittently unless at highway speeds, I would suspect your fans. Spray water into your Condensor (with the radiator) does the AC start working as long as this is sprayed with cold water?

Check your fans. Do they run when the AC compressor is on? I THINK they both should run.

Next I would get a set of gauges and a duty cycle meter and verify your charge pressure, and that your charge pressure sensor puts out the correct duty cycle for your AC.

jocat54

TDI
Jetta
It doesn't run when first starting--it doesn't seem to matter if low speed or hwy speed--just starts working when it takes a notion to.
I have checked the charge with gauges and it seems to to be full. Not sure what a duty cycle meter is or the charge pessure sensor.

Thanks,
John

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Note whether your fans work or not. Put your gauges back on, and note how high the high pressure gets.

Try spraying the condenser/radiator with water.

When the fans do not work, the condenser gets too hot, and this drives discharge pressure up. When the pressure sensor gets too high, it shuts off the compressor.

If you spray it with water, then it will stay cool and work, even without the fans. This lets you know to further troubleshoot and repair/replace the fans.

The pressure sensor also is a high failure item. It can be changed with the charge still in (has a Schrader type valve). It senses pressure and puts out a square wave voltage whose high voltage percentage varies with pressure. The fan control module or the ECU (I do not have your drawings) does the high and low pressure switch functions (fan and AC clutch operation) based on this signal (among others.)

If you take a look at your fan operation, I will do some more research.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
You might also investigate VW Technical Bulletins re: AC problems, poor AC as there are quite a few of them for the A5 Jettas.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
How can we gain access to the VW TSBs for our A5 TDI cars? I too would like to read through the Climatronic related TSBs.

I always thought of the Climatronic systems operation being "out of sight out of mind" level; very good performance, however the systems present operation is off the mark as the temp control when in A/C mode needs adjustment (lower) often. Hey it's Atlanta, GA and the ambient temps just aren't higher than 65F yet. Just wait ~ 95F will be here soon!

Last edited:

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Make sure the cooling fan is running with the AC on..Common problem...

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Are the radiator/condenser fans operational?

Mach1 said:
Make sure the cooling fan is running with the AC on..Common problem...
Thanks Mach1 ~ checked their operation and found both fans operate when in A/C mode. At the time, the engine was stone cold and when calling HVAC system for A/C, the fans would operate.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Then I would make sure the compressor is staying on.. May be a low freon or a bad connection for the compressor drive voltage..

Make sure the fins are clear while there(condensor) and that you have a fresh 'new' cab filter..

While troubleshooting the system, its a good time to make sure all is well..check the easy things as well.

Luis G

TDI
2006 Jetta
There is no way to check how full the system is just with gauges. You can how ever tell if there is enough pressure to start the compressor. Could you please post the gauge readings, both hi and low. AC on and off.

The low/high pressure switch went out on mine.

I think if the charge was low then the compressor would cycle on and off. Same is true if the condenser was getting to hot.

If it is low then you have to find the leak, repair, then recharge. The charge limit is very tight, something like 525 + 25grams
(18.5 +.9oz)

Last edited:

Boating_Tom

TDI
2006 Jetta
+1 Same issue

Folks, bring this thread back from the past instead of starting a new one.

I have a '06 Jetta TDI that is having this issue. The A/C will start when it's ready to, might be after 5 or 10 min of driving. I have let it sit for 10+ min with the A/C engaged but it will not start. However once it starts blowing cold air it is real cold, works great so that is something.....

The second or A/C fan does start and shut off as the AC in engaged. I took it to a local shop and they said that it's the compressor as the pressure on the system is good, freon level is good and that the compressor is getting power.

Given the TSB in this thread, has anyone had any luck getting VW to address this issue out of warranty?

Thanks

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
While it does not cause your delay problem, both fans on your car should always run together, at the same approximate speed. Never one by itself.
Never.

You have a fan that is failed.

Running your AC with only one fan will result in higher than normal pressures and temperatures that your compressor has to deal with.

In every case I am aware of but one, the fix was to replace the AC compressor. One owner (in Texas, I think) still had the problem after replacing the compressor.

If you do replace your compressor, please consider shipping it to me. I would like to do a post mortem on one of these.

One hypothesis is this. The compressor's displacement is varied by a wobble plate. The wobble plate is controlled by the difference in discharge and suction pressure of the compressor, ported by an electric Refrigerant Control Valve. It depends upon compressor discharge pressure being higher than suction pressure.

From the reports I have been given, the RCV was working, but the compressor was not responding.

Conjecture:
The hot cabin is making the highest pressure in the system be inside the cabin, prior to engine startup. It is not unusual to get 130 or more degrees F inside the cabin. It is seldom that hot under the hood before the engine is warmed up. This gives you a reversal of pressures. The suction pressure is actually higher than the compressor discharge pressure. So when the RCV opens, instead of putting high pressure from the compressor discharge to the wobble plate piston, it puts low pressure to it. This puts the compressor hard on the minimum displacement stop, holding the compressor at minimum output. It stays this way until the cabin cools off some, and the condenser coil/compressor heats up some, creating the normal condition of compressor discharge pressure higher than suction pressure. Now the pistion will move the compressor to full displacement, full output. This condition will remain during operation and shutdown until the cabin once again heats up more than the condenser/compressor - which can take hours as the radiator is pretty hot.

If the minimum displacement position was at a bit higher condition than it presently is, perhaps there would be no delay. Shimming this stop may or may not cause a problem during winter operation with these compressors. But I bet it would be ok in the South.

Boating_Tom

TDI
2006 Jetta
DanG - Thanks for the reply, but I think I must of confused you, I tend to do that..

When the engine is running the one fan on the driver’s side will run.

When I press the AC button the passenger side fan will start and run. When I turn off the AC the this fan will spin down.

Based on other post you have made I think these fans are working as expected?.?

In another posting of yours you made reference to a AC troubleshooting guide but was for a earlier model car, any chance you have one for this model car?

Thanks

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have not written one for this model car.

What you describe is not normal for a North American 2006 Jetta. Both fans should always run at the same speed. The speed is variable, but both are being driven by one controller - and they should be at the same RPM.

It is ok for the fans to be off, if the AC pressure is low and the car is not too hot, but they should both be off or both at the same speed.

Boating_Tom

TDI
2006 Jetta
Ok Dan thanks, will keep that in mind for the next shop visit.

So back to the compressor issue, has anyone had one replaced at the dealership outside of warranty? Long shot I am sure.

Couple of quotes I have received at shops are from $800 to $950 to replace it. These are mostly VW or import shops, might try a A/C type of shop to see what’s what.

Thanks

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Is this something you can simply post here? There are dozens, if not hundreds, of interested parties.

I am very interested in how it can be the high pressure sensor that causes the delays.

I know of one HP sensor bulletin that has you look for leaks and replace it if is failed high and/or leaking oil.

In the delay situations I have investigated, the HP sensor was working, comparing the output to a gauge reading.

I have found several cars that had failed HP sensors, but it caused non-working issues, not delays.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
So you had a delay issue? For how long?

And your delay issue was solved by replacing the HP switch?

How long has it been solved?

Did you get the charge removed and replaced as part of the service?

Was your HP sensor leaking oil and refrigerant?

How long has your delay been fixed?

ccisney

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
2 year sense purchase issue.

Yes, delay is better, no delay if car has been ran for the day, used to have a delay no matter what.

solved for about a week now

no I asked to get the part changed for free but all they offered was a discount. I did it myself. Once you get the skid panel off and get it on a lift you have alot of room to get to it. It is right by the right side tire. I am planning on posting a youtube video that shows the change, However its not a professional grade video.

No, I did not, It hissed a little when i removed the part but that is all. Replaced and ran right up, no problems.

not sure if my old on was leaking or not. I dont beleave so.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
It sounds as if you still have the delay for the first 10 or 15 minutes of operation each day?

If your old one was leaking, you may need to get your charge addressed.

ccisney

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
U know what, I just took a ride to the post office, its 100 degrees outside and man, my a/c was running like its old crappy self. Looks like your onto somthing dan. So what next dan? compressor?

ccisney

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
just saw your post about fans, I did have a fan out along time ago, had it replaced at the dealer for 400 bucks. I have heard that if the fan goes it makes your compressor faulty, maybe my compressor is bad???Going to see how exactly my fans turn on.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I recently had a 2006 come in with this problem, a friend, local.

So we tried something I had been wanting to do. We added one ounce of PAG46 oil to the compressor.

It has been working without the delay for 3 weeks. Of course it could quit tomorrow.

You lose the refrigerant to add the oil, so it costs about $40 or so to try this.

And there are no guarantees. In fact, it is hard to see how this can be a long term solution.