2006 Jetta 1.9L rattle

Zcackowski

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9L
My 2006 Jetta 1.9L 5MT 210k miles, makes a rattle sound when its cold and the blower motor fan speed switch is on. I can make the noise start and stop by simply turning the HVAC system on and off, and it goes away when slightly increasing RPM. It is only an issue before it reaches normal operating temperatures and gets quieter as it warms up. Any ideas?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
From your description, it sounds like it could be your alternator clutch pulley.
Remove the serpentine belt and use a blunt tool to hold the alternator rotor to prevent it from rotating. Then twist the alternator pulley in either direction. It should turn counter clockwise and not clockwise. If it doesn't turn, or turns both directions, the clutch is failed and needs replaced.
Leaving it can cause the belt to fail, which sometimes can cause the timing belt to fail when shreds from the serpentine belt go under the timing cover.
You can check in my signature, I stock those for your car, as do id parts and several other reputable sellers. Beware of aftermarket ones though, they often don't last long.

Zcackowski

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9L
From your description, it sounds like it could be your alternator clutch pulley.
Remove the serpentine belt and use a blunt tool to hold the alternator rotor to prevent it from rotating. Then twist the alternator pulley in either direction. It should turn counter clockwise and not clockwise. If it doesn't turn, or turns both directions, the clutch is failed and needs replaced.
Leaving it can cause the belt to fail, which sometimes can cause the timing belt to fail when shreds from the serpentine belt go under the timing cover.
You can check in my signature, I stock those for your car, as do id parts and several other reputable sellers. Beware of aftermarket ones though, they often don't last long.
Its seized, thank you