2006 Headliner Replacement?

Mad_Max

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta 5sp
There is a DIY thread on the replacement on myturbodiesel page:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/h...k5-vw-jetta/?redirect=mk5-jetta-tdi-headliner

I did it several years ago. It was a bit tight to fit it in, but it worked at the end.
As far as cost. I seem to remember that new headliner was ~$240 (I did have to go to Louisville KY from Lexington KY to pick it up - local dealer wanted $650) plus some anchor clips.
What is the price now I do not have a good reference.

Max

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
New headliners are a little over $400 from the dealer. Redoing it yourself costs about $100 off Amazon for the proper material.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Has anyone had to get headliner replaced and if so did you DIY or have a shop do it? What was the approximate cost?
I have upgraded mine last year to the anthracite one that GLI's have. Removing the front seats and steering wheel gives you more room to install it, and that way you avoid having to bend it. I still have the original headliner, no sagging at all, plus the original box in which the new one came. If you're interested, I'm willing to sell it for $100+ shipping.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have upgraded mine last year to the anthracite one that GLI's have. Removing the front seats and steering wheel gives you more room to install it, and that way you avoid having to bend it. I still have the original headliner, no sagging at all, plus the original box in which the new one came. If you're interested, I'm willing to sell it for $100+ shipping.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is the upgrade with the GLI headliner, besides the color?

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
By removing the seats and the steering wheel, were you able to install without removing the windshield?

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
You need to remove the front seats and center console. It will come out without bending that way.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is the upgrade with the GLI headliner, besides the color?
Invader, in general it is only an aesthetic upgrade, as my personal belief is the interior looks much better in that color. In my case, it was also a functionality upgrade, as I have upgraded to the rain sensor and the auto headlights sensor along with the auto dimming rear-view mirror (the GLI headliner has a hole to route the cables associated with them).

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
By removing the seats and the steering wheel, were you able to install without removing the windshield?
Yes, by doing that you won't need to remove the windshield. I have forgot to mention that I have also removed the center console during installation (used the opportunity to adjust the parking brake tension nut), in addition to the steering wheel and front seats.
Even after you remove the front seats, steering wheel, and center console, you will have to be very careful during the installation (via one of the front doors) to not bend the headliner, as it my leave permanent creases.

Last edited:

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
I paid $350 for mine in northern VA. My brother in San Diego paid under $200 for his Camry. He says that some of these shops can get cheaper labor from Mexico.

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
Has anyone had to get headliner replaced and if so did you DIY or have a shop do it? What was the approximate cost?
I had a local shop replace mine. $200. Looks better than the factory. He also tinted my windows. Also GREAT JOB. "Mr Tint" in Stephenville Texas

with all the air bags everywhere, I wasn't even going to consider attempting it ... especially not for $200.

I'll snag a photo and add to my gallery later.