2006 fest "autocross" format and rules

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
CORRECTED STANDINGS: 2006 fest "autocross"

LAST UPDATE: 2006-10-13
Post #22 ammended to indicate the correct entry number of the second place winner.

The driving skills event at the 2006 TDIFest will be held in the annex parking lot on Sunday afternoon.

Format:
There is a three hour time slot in which the event has to be completed. Approximately 2/3 of the annex lot has been measured out to produce a 1/4 mile long course which took me right around 120 seconds to complete. The other 1/3 of the lot has been set aside for spectator parking and pre-staging the competitors. I anticipate running the competitors one by one at intervals averaging 5 minutes. The roughly three minutes between competitors will allow re-setting the cones, confirming the time, and staging the next vehicle.
Within these time constraints I think that it will be necessary to limit the number of drivers to 15 in total. The drivers would be split into three groups, one group driving, one group working (re-setting cones and such) the third group resting. After the driving group has each had three runs, the three groups would shift places until all 15 drivers have had three runs.
Drivers must work their assigned shift to remain eligible in the competition.
It is not expected that enough time between runs in each group will allow for tuning adjustments. If a vehicle is not ready at the time it is called back to the start box, its run is forfeit.
The driver with the lowest combined time (lap time plus time penalties additions for each cone knocked off its mark) will be declared the winner of the event. In the event of a tie for lowest combined time, the tied drivers' second lowest combined time will be used as a tie-breaker.

Rules:
Those that are quick at math have figured out that the average speed for the course is about 7.5 mph. Helmets are not required for driver nor for passengers.

Drivers must be registered fest attendees. The fest registration number will be the driver's number. Drivers must attend a mandatory driver's meeting to be held at the annex lot at the beginning of the three hour time slot available. A liability waiver form must be signed by each driver. No driver suspected of being impaired by chemicals or infirmity will be allowed to compete. A speed limit of 15 mph in the spectator parking section of the annex lot will be in effect.

Vehicles will be inspected for safety. Functional seat belts, a secure battery, and the removal of driver's floor mats are required.

Passengers are allowed and encouraged. All passengers in the competing vehicle must wear appropriate seat restraints at all times. Infant seats must be appropriately sized for the occupant.

Spectators are not permitted on the course portion of the annex lot during event hours. Spectators must remain on the grass areas surrounding the lot or in the spectator parking section of the lot.
I'd like to solicit spectators to volunteer as course workers. Becoming a Course Worker will allow a closer view of the action. Enough course workers will allow the competitive runs to progress more smoothly and will mean more time for the "buck-a-runs" following the competition.

The final rules and format will be the rules and format as presented at the driver's meeting on the day of the event.
In other words: I'm still working on this. There may be a better way to run the event. I'm open to suggestions.

Please post an addendum to this thread if you wish to participate as a driver or if you wish to volunteer to assist in operating the event.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
No fee to compete, no fee to spectate.
Driver/competitors are required to work their shift (see the second paragraph under "Format" in the top post) to remain eligible to win. Other than this contribution of labor time, there is no cost.

If sufficient time remains following the completion of the scheduled runs, and if enough course workers can be cajoled into continuing to shag cones, then a "buck-a-run" session could be arranged with proceeds going directly to the club. Such fun runs, if held, would not be eligible for the low time prize.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Lug_Nut said:
No fee to compete, no fee to spectate.
Driver/competitors are required to work their shift (see the second paragraph under "Format" in the top post) to remain eligible to win. Other than this contribution of labor time, there is no cost.
Allow me to elaborate...

Competitors must be registered for TDIfest, or be a badged guest of a registrant. In other words, you need a name badge to compete; to get a name badge, you must register for the Fest!

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I am in. 7.5 mph..... eh, are we running the course backwards or something?

Which tires should I bring?

Maybe we should all fill up before hand so we can add in a fuel economy modifier to our times... :)

Lug_Nut

TDI
Am I safe to presume that the prior five posts are indicating an interest in driving (and marshalling if needed) and are not volunteering for marshalling only?
Marshall sounds much more dignified than Cone Shagger doesn't it?

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Lug_Nut said:
Shagadelic, baybee...he hehe ...:eek:

I would MUCH prefer to be known as a Marshall...:cool:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Lug_Nut said:
Am I safe to presume that the prior five posts are indicating an interest in driving (and marshalling if needed) and are not volunteering for marshalling only?
Yes, and yes. All I may need will be a little instruction in the art of "Marshalling", as I have not done it before.

Rob

Lug_Nut

TDI
Course workers have three basic tasks.
1. Self preservation. Be aware of where the car is or will be. The car that just drove past you may be backing up towards you.
2. Know up from down. Set the toppled cones in your vicinity back in the chalk squares from which they were knocked.
3. Basic counting skills and short term memory. Count how many cones you had to re-set. Shout out the number to the startline worker when he/she asks for a cone count at the end of each run.

Oh, 4. Remember where other drivers have problems negotiating and figure out how to do it better when it's your turn.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Lug_Nut said:
Course workers have three basic tasks.
1. Self preservation. Be aware of where the car is or will be. The car that just drove past you may be backing up towards you.
2. Know up from down. Set the toppled cones in your vicinity back in the chalk squares from which they were knocked.
3. Basic counting skills and short term memory. Count how many cones you had to re-set. Shout out the number to the startline worker when he/she asks for a cone count at the end of each run.

Oh, 4. Remember where other drivers have problems negotiating and figure out how to do it better when it's your turn.
Sounds easy enough to do. I'll have to remember to bring along a small notepad to make tick marks on for counting cones. I should already have a golf pencil in the ashtray...

SSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none :-(
I thought I already signed up to drive in the autocross but in case I didn't, sign me up please!! Of course I will volunteer to help out...

Also I would like to sign up my registered guest, Bill Kean. He will be driving my car if that's ok. Thanks, Matt.

Lug_Nut

TDI
The posting of intent here on this thread was to allow me to gain a rough estimate of the number planning to run. It will still be necessary to attend the driver's meeting and sign in formally at 2:30 on Sunday in the annex lot where the course will be run.
Matt, Hired shoes are allowed to drive, but the same registered fest attendee must be in the vehicle for each run and will be listed as the official entry. We had decided to use the fest registration number of the attendee as the competitor identification number. I don't know if, like the "turn left" Nascar bunch, the prize goes to the vehicle owner rather than the unregistered driver. We'll have to sort that out should your mercenary be the quickest. If he has a badge with a number, there is no issue and no need for a 'fest registered passenger / back seat driver.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
120 seconds? I didn't have that kind of time... :)

Jon, you are one sadistic SOB for the course layout...

That was incredibly fun!

Lug_Nut

TDI
Kudos to all!

EDITED TO CORRECT THE SECOND PLACE DRIVER'S NUMBER

Thanks to everyone that helped out. Because of your assistance we were able to have more competitors than anticipated and we still finished right on schedule. Thanks so much. I hope you enjoyed competing or spectating as much as I.

Of the 48 runs there were only two 'clean' runs with zero cone penalty points added to the time. There were but 6 runs with only one cone penalty. There were also 5 runs with 10 or more cones and three that we were disqualifed because of too many cones.
Driver #70, Meganuke's winning run was in 1:07.97 seconds plus three cones for an additional 6 seconds. His total score was 1:13.97.
Driver #163 (T.G., e-mail me your screen name and I'll post that) was second with a 1:12.81 time and a one cone for a score of 1:14.81.
Driver # 103, Turbosprezarka had the third best score with a time of 1:14.09 and one cone for a total of 1:16.09.

I had thought that an expected course time of 2 minutes would be average, but you guys and gals are nuts about competing. Only two of the scored runs were over 2 minutes, and then by a mere 3.2 seconds at most.
The average of all driver's fastest runs was 1:21.97, far faster than I had anticipated. The fastest time works out to an average vehicle speed of 10.73 mph. From what I saw the front tires were rotating at about 30 mph and the rears at 5 mph!:eek:

Last edited:

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
I was surprised that you all hadn't seen unintentional reverse near-doughnuts before.... ;-)

Thanks for the effort, that was a very fun & challenging first time for slow-speed!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ya :( But the drive home was without incident! Except that my headlights are misaligned for some reason...

-J

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd definitely be looking at it as a clearance improvement for an FMIC ;-)

Glad there were no more surprises once we got it back together!

SSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none :-(
Thanks Lug_Nut! Bill and I both had an awesome time! I am trying to convince him to buy his own TDI so we can both compeat next year! He was on autotrader.ca tonight to see if used TDI's were easier to find back home in Canada...
-Matt

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
All I know is I am coming with steel wheels and cast-off tires for the Auto-X!. Then, I won't have to panic so much about the curb!

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
I think Compu_85 demonstrated the the tires and rims are not the biggest problem when it comes to curbs.... :eek: