2006 BRM - DSG fault(s) and PRNDS flashing

TDiesel06

TDI
2006 Jetta Special Edition
I experienced a second occurrence of PRNDS flashing from the DSG mechatronics 02E 927 770 AE. I've serviced the DSG filter and fluid, with OE parts, at 40k intervals since ownership. Once at 265,000 and then at 305,000 a couple months ago.

-The first occurrence was August 9th at night from a cold start which immediately set a fault PRNDS flashing and no reverse. It made the short trim home and onto the lawn. The next morning VCDS scanned 18145 - Transmission Solenoid Power Relay. I cleared the code and it stayed off. I was able to reverse. I did some web research and decided to clean the grounds under the hood that morning. One at the right headlight, one at left wiper arm, one at the right headlight including the transmission on both ends. Also the battery ground on the right shock tower. All were wire wheeled and installed with CRC electrical contact cleaner. I also pulled the harness off the transmission. I noticed it was damp with an oily residue, so I CRC'd and aired out the pins, then ensured that it secured back on. No codes came up for about two weeks. Voltage supply 1 and 2 both had 13-14 VDC present. I downloaded the VW DSG 02E self study pdf to get more familiar with the components. Also to note, the selector lever is showing all positions as it is shifted through the PRNDS range in VCDS.

-Second time was today after a 10 minute drive. It cold started fine, drove half way to my destination (2 mi.), came to a stop on my journey and shifted to P and left it running. When I returned one minute later the PRNDS was flashing.......I scanned it tonight with VCDS. VCDS results are below. I cleared the codes, but the fault returns and there's no reverse.

+ I plan to back probe the harness tomorrow to check input voltage at the transmission harness for the voltage inputs. It appears like it's time for a rebuilt Mechatronics. I'm really interested to find a reputable place to send the unit if you know a reliable rebuild vendor. I found a place in the UK that shows $370 + $50 return shipping Ecutesting.com

Code:
Friday,28,August,2020,19:55:07:03008
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 20.4.1.0 (x64)
Data version: 20200331 DS317.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: 3VWCT71K56M852151   License Plate:
Mileage: 494450km-307236mi   Repair Order:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 02: Auto Trans       Labels: 02E-927-770.clb
Control Module Part Number: 02E 300 043     HW: 02E 927 770 AE
  Component and/or Version: GSG DSG         070 1126
           Software Coding: 0000020
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 000 00000
                      VCID: 51A350AEC8E2FA0ED4-8004
2 Faults Found:

19164 - Pressure Control Solenoid 6
            P2732 - 000 - Implausible Signal or Stuck Off - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 255
                    Reset counter: 39
                    Mileage: 494450 km
                    Time Indication: 0

18154 - Transmission Solenoid Power Relay
            P1746 - 002 - Electrical Malfunction - MIL ON
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 11100010
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 255
                    Reset counter: 40

Address 02: DTCs cleared

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver       Labels: 1K0-959-701-MIN3.clb
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 959 701 P    HW: 1K0 959 793 L
  Component and/or Version: J386  TUER-SG FT    1127
           Software Coding: 0001205
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 000 00000
                      VCID: 3B7F12067A6E605E1E-806E
2 Faults Found:

00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
            008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00111000
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 7
                    Reset counter: 34
                    Mileage: 0 km

00105 - Signal Central Locking SAVE/LOCK Drivers Side
            008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00101000
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 6
                    Reset counter: 3
                    Mileage: 493991 km

Address 42: DTCs cleared

Address 02: DTCs cleared

Address 02: Auto Trans  (02E 300 043 )

20:04:08 Group 005
   P  Selector Lever Position
  Activated  Starting enabled
  13.50 V  Voltage Supply 1
  0.00 V  Voltage Supply 2

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI automatic,2006 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
I just finished dealing with this same problem... I would check all grounds below the battery first and on the frame behind the headlight- driver side. I did this before going to the dealer and ordering a new mechatronics unit. My dealership matched JimEllis vw parts price for the mechatronics unit. Hope this helps. It is ordered by the VIN#.

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
I just recently installed the new mechatronics and did the readaption and now it's like a new car. It's my daughter's car so I didn't want to risk anything. I thought about finding a used one but it's a 14 year old car- 2006 . I believe I paid almost$1150 for the new mechatronics. Hope this helps

TDiesel06

TDI
I just recently installed the new mechatronics and did the readaption and now it's like a new car. It's my daughter's car so I didn't want to risk anything. I thought about finding a used one but it's a 14 year old car- 2006 . I believe I paid almost$1150 for the new mechatronics. Hope this helps
Thanks for the insight. I'll give Jim Ellis a call tomorrow and get a part quote. I haven't figured out the pinout information for the connector yet, therefore didn't get to test. I appreciate your feedback and thank you for your posts.

TDiesel06

TDI
I emailed Jim Ellis and got not reply yet. I called my local dealer parts dept. and was told that the current mechatronics is 02E 325 025 ATZHW. I looked at the T20e connector on the mechatronics and went through the self study guide and the Bentley book for info. Not much to troubleshoot with from Bentley. Diagrams show pin 11 and 18 are fed by SB5 15A fuse and they both tested with 12.58vdc. Pin 13 is fed by SC2 10A and I think it's the switched power as it arrives with the key on. Power is at the harness. Pins 16 and 19 are ground and they ohm good. I pulled the mechatronics unit out and found that the N371, solenoid 6, has melted the plastic and has high ohm reading 400. It looks like this is the source of the fault to me.

My question is, will repairing this clear both faults?

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe you are best getting a new OEM mechatronics... The plastic housing has been in dsg fluid for 14 years and may be breaking down. My 2 cents.

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
How does this compare with buying a used DSG with much lower mileage? I realize one drawback to that approach could be if the age of the mechatronics matters just as much as mileage. What is the newest DSG we can use in our 2006 cars? Are we stuck with the 2005-6 model year, or can the 2009-10 DSG be made to work?

GibMir1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta w/DSG Grenade
When this happened to me, the mechatronics unit was on its way out. IIRC, that was close to 160K miles. And that was with regular DSG Fluid changes. Bummer. But Im still on my original cam, so its a trade-off. Anyway, these things are vin-specific and need to be coded to the car. While it was big $$ back then, I'm glad I went with new, it was the right option for me.

And I haven't had a problem more than 100K miles since...

TDiesel06

TDI
To keep the repair cost down, I ordered a solenoid and pan gasket from Cobra Transmission shipped for $75. I connected the solenoid and mechatronics to the transmission then plugged into the harness and cleared all the fault codes. I cycled the key and auto scanned and had no faults. I renewed the TTY bolts for the mechatronics, dog bone and pan cover, plus a dog bone bushing filler from FCP Euro for $78. I put back 90% of the drained DSG oil and added new to top off. The transmission service was just done recently.

Anyway, my decision to just fix the solenoid is mostly because I've stopped commuting in the past two years. If this turns out to fail in the near future, I'll probably order a new mechatronics and keep the old one for parts.

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
I had changed my 2 solenoids as well...n215 and n216 . I thought I had it cleared until I drove it. Parked it. Came back outside to drive it again and got the famous PRNDS.
The good thing is the mechatronics is pretty simple to remove and swap out with the transmission in the car... Hope yours clears
permanently... !

TDiesel06

TDI
I had changed my 2 solenoids as well...n215 and n216 . I thought I had it cleared until I drove it. Parked it. Came back outside to drive it again and got the famous PRNDS.
The good thing is the mechatronics is pretty simple to remove and swap out with the transmission in the car... Hope yours clears
permanently... !
That's what I was hoping wouldn't be the case. That sounds like you had an issue related to the circuit board sealed into the mechatronics.

So far it's working fine, shifts nicely and I added 5 miles to the odometer...307325.
Thanks for posting to the thread. I hope we never see PRNDS flash again!

TDiesel06

TDI
It's worked so far. I have put 100+ miles on it without a hiccup. My fingers are still crossed though!