2006 BRM 5 speed - Clutch Related Metallic Rattling or Clunking

JeremyTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM 5M
Hello and thanks for stopping by my post! I have read quite a few posts about issues that seem similar to mine, but none have had a video attached, so it's hard to say for sure it's the same problem. Here's a quick video:

I have my very stylish Croc on the clutch for the first 10 seconds, and everything sounds fine. Once I remove it, the noise begins. Seems to get a little quieter as time passes, and I don't notice it while driving. The clutch pedal has a very slight pulsation to it during operation, but I can only really feel it when I use my hand (obviously parked while doing this, lol).

Hope someone can chime in! :)

NateVW

TDI
2006 Jetta MkV, 2016 BMW F31 Diesel Wagon
My guess is a DM Flywheel failure. Just a wild guess.

My manual 2006 jetta has a SM FW and it makes some noise (not as rattle-like as yours) but I expected that.

JeremyTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM 5M
Thank you for the quick replies!
Now just gotta decide whether to do the flywheel/clutch for 400ish or go all in with the kermatdi 150+hp kit for 2k :unsure:

NateVW

TDI
2006 Jetta MkV, 2016 BMW F31 Diesel Wagon
I did the SMF clutch kit from RockAuto for $215. IMO the 2006 is about miles for nothing.

JeremyTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM 5M
I did the SMF clutch kit from RockAuto for $215.
I suppose I need to look harder! Found a “precision clutch” SMF kit for $209 and a Valeo for $323.

IMO the 2006 is about miles for nothing.
True.. I picked up my 06 for silly cheap and it’s pretty fun ? maybe I can find a middle ground as far as price/performance goes so I can hold onto that “miles for nothing” charm.

- Jeremy

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Hello and thanks for stopping by my post! I have read quite a few posts about issues that seem similar to mine, but none have had a video attached, so it's hard to say for sure it's the same problem. Here's a quick video:

I have my very stylish Croc on the clutch for the first 10 seconds, and everything sounds fine. Once I remove it, the noise begins. Seems to get a little quieter as time passes, and I don't notice it while driving. The clutch pedal has a very slight pulsation to it during operation, but I can only really feel it when I use my hand (obviously parked while doing this, lol).

Hope someone can chime in! :)
Oilhammer is a very reliably correct expert. If he says it is the DMF, it is almost assuredly the DMF.

JeremyTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM 5M
Hi all,

I know this thread is a few months old now, but I just wanted to close with my findings! After pulling the trans, I was surprised to find the clutch and and flywheel (SMF) both in good condition. The culprit was actually the throw out bearing, more specifically, one of the clips that holds it onto the fork had broken, causing it to rattle when no pressure was applied to it. See photos below. Thanks again for all the help and happy holidays. 🎅

- Jeremy