2006 Beetle Vag Tacho "Pin" is Grayed Out

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I tried to scan a friends recently purchased 2006 NB. VCDS connects successfully and without issue. I have the real vag tacho and I'm having problems with reading the Pin. The program successfully accesses the Cluster and most channels are available, but Pin is grayed out. I've tried all ecu options but only the correct one works. Symptoms of a corrupt Cluster ? Repairable ? Thoughts ? Thanks.

Last edited:
TDI
96 glx variant tdi
A friend of a friend of a friend told me the facts. Thanks Mark. But.... I'm still confused by all of different comments about why I can't read the pin. Some say I should be able to, some agree with Mark's comments, that it is stealership only.

2006 to 2010 fasit system, dealer only, the keys you have probably will not work either, even though chip may be compatible
you might try cloning if a local locksmith has the capability
keys only program though vw mainframe online, key must be purchased from vw to have half program flashed into it so it it recognized and the handshake is complete when at the dealer
this was a nonsense theft prevention measure that vw abandoned with the 2011 cars which can have their key cloned

Last edited: