2006 & 2013 Jetta Alternators Interchangable?

striker

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have a 2006 Jetta that now needs an alternator....a new one is over $300 and just isn't in the books right now.

I found a few used ones from $100-$150. One in particular was off a 2013 and I like that because the piece would be relatively new.

Does it fit? If not, what other years can I look at besides the MK4 cars because that's getting old now.

striker

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My car is a 2006 Jetta (BRM) and the pulley ended up going toast. Long story short, I ended up getting an alternator this morning from a local yard for $101 tax in.

It came off another 2006 with 180,000 kms. Now that I think about it, I should have went with the 2013 model alternator they had off a 2013 TDI for $50 more :S

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Or you could have just replaced the pulley without removing the alternator from the car. New OE quality pulley is roughly $60. True you need the special tool, but $30 will buy that, or I'm sure it could have been rented or borrowed. BRM alternators are nearly bulletproof, it is pretty much always the pulley that fails.

striker

Veteran Member
TDI
None
That was the plan, to replace the pulley only. However, the tech doing the job cracked casing so I ended up with a new/used alternator for the price of a new pulley.