2006 1.9 TDI BRM Timing Tool ?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
The Bentley shows two different crank lock tools for the BRM engine. The parts gives a number for the pully

038 105 263 H

But I can not seem to find if this is considered a " Round Tooth " or the " Oval Tooth Pulley. Its for this reason the Bentley says use appropriate tool either
T 10050 round tooth or 10100 oval.

Has anyone done a belt on a 2006 BRM yet and know which is the correct tool. T10050 or T10100

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you wanted to take the ribbed (alternator) belt and crankshaft pully off you could tell. The round crankshaft sprocket has the TDC mark at one of the bolt holes for the ribbed belt pully and the oval crankshaft sprocket has the TDC mark between 2 of the bolts holes for the ribbed belt pully.
The mark might be visible with the ribbed belt pully on (maybe). You could try a mirror and flashlight or by taking the R/F tire and fender liner off and looking to see if the timing mark on the sprocket is visible.
If it's like the FF thing, the VIN won't be conclusive. I noticed in the Bentleys it said that the oval sprocket was "phased in introduction".:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I don't know anything about round or oval teeth, but I have done BRM belts and the tool for a BEW works just fine. The only difference I could see was the timing mark is in a different spot.
For the BEW the mark is in the second gap from the left putting the mark at about 12 o clock.
For the BRM the mark is on the second tooth from the right putting it at about 1 or 2 o clock.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Metal Man said:
I don't know anything about round or oval teeth, but I have done BRM belts and the tool for a BEW works just fine. The only difference I could see was the timing mark is in a different spot.
For the BEW the mark is in the second gap from the left putting the mark at about 12 o clock.
For the BRM the mark is on the second tooth from the right putting it at about 1 or 2 o clock.
Maybe the BEW/BRM code is how you tell which P/N tool to use. What I read in Bentley's was in the 2006 BRM section and eluded to the round/oval thing.
I supose Bentleys uses the same text for the BEW/BRM procedure.
I think what they mean is that the later sprockets, with the mark at one o:clock, are oval or slightly eliptical in shape (The sprocket shape, not the tooth shape) so that there is a slight tightening and loosening of tension to co-inside with the power pulses of the engine.
Anyway, I think I read something real similar to that about the PD valve trains some were.
T.D.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
"H" is the oval. Use tool T10100.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Thank you Mogolf - I want to buy the exact tool.

What do think of T10172 tool it looks like it would be very easy to use. Its adjustable and 113.00 USD. I have looked at other spanners and they are less, but they are fixed. The ones that looked like conventional spanner with pivot were pricy at 80 +.

Stanagon

TDI
none
MOGolf said:
"H" is the oval. Use tool T10100.
So if pulley part #038 105 263 H = T10100 tool, what is the part number of the earlier style pulley that uses special tool T10050?

I'd like to add any clarification I can on this for an updated version of the Bentley 2005-2008 A5 Jetta repair manual.

Thanks,

Stan Wohlfarth
Bentley Publishers

Stanagon

TDI
none
Stanagon said:
So if pulley part #038 105 263 H = T10100 tool, what is the part number of the earlier style pulley that uses special tool T10050?

I'd like to add any clarification I can on this for an updated version of the Bentley 2005-2008 A5 Jetta repair manual.

Thanks,

Stan Wohlfarth
Bentley Publishers
I did some more research on this and here is what I found using the latest version of ETKA (VW/Audi electronic parts information system).

2004 1.9L TDI (code: ALH) uses crank pulley: 038 105 263E
-does not use crank pulley lock tool
2004 1.9L TDI-PD (code: BEW) uses crank pulley: 038 105 263 F
-use tool T10050

2005 1.9L TDI (code: BRM) uses crank pulley: 038 105 263 H
-use tool T10100, as previously mentioned in this thread

Based on the above, I would deduce that the pulley change occured with, or pretty close to, the changeover from the A4 to A5 platform. If anyone can confirm or add any insight to this that would be great.

For now, I'm just going to leave the Bentley A5 Jetta manual the way it is, with a reference to both tools (T10050 and T10100). This still agrees with the factory supplied repair information.

-Stan

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The information I have about engines avialable in Europe indicate a "gradual introduction" of the change. No specific change over point. I don't think they delivered a mix of them to North America.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I'll bet the T10100 tool won't work in a 038 105 263 F... The alignment marks would be off, and it would interfere with other parts on the engine.

Just my 2c...